Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

3 hours ago, mirskyc said:

I'll be there in a heart beat once someone locates it. the article also mentions that some of the MIMO equipment is live for commercial testing. 

I just don't understand the hold up for 256QAM and 4x4 MIMO on current equipment. They demoed it in New Orleans over a year ago. 

256 / 64 QAM is live in NYC market ALU 8T8R equipment. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mirskyc said:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/sprints-next-gen-network-build-gains-momentum.htm

there is a better picture of the massive MIMO equipment in Brooklyn, maybe someone can figure out where it is now. 

I thinks it’s in southern Brooklyn but I’m not sure exactly where. The only landmark in that picture is the crane looking thing and I don’t know where that is. 

12 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

256 / 64 QAM is live in NYC market ALU 8T8R equipment. 

Is it possible the engineering screen on the GS9 can be wrong. I've only seen 64QAM displayed during data sessions

2 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

Is it possible the engineering screen on the GS9 can be wrong. I've only seen 64QAM displayed during data sessions

It has been confirmed that 256QAM is live in NYC. I do believe that the engineering screen is not displaying it properly on the GS phones. Just need 4x4MIMO.

4 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

It was confirmed via NSG screens which gets its information directly from the QC modem. 

5 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

It was confirmed via NSG screens which gets its information directly from the QC modem. 

8 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

It has been confirmed that 256QAM is live in NYC. I do believe that the engineering screen is not displaying it properly on the GS phones. Just need 4x4MIMO.

Any idea what the max speed is for 3xCA B41 with the current config and 256QAM and 2x2? and what it will be once they turn on 4x4? 

i recall the max being around 330 mbps with 64QAM about 110 per a 20mhz carrier. 

Just now, mirskyc said:

Any idea what the max speed is for 3xCA B41 with the current config and 256QAM and 2x2? and what it will be once they turn on 4x4? 

i recall the max being around 330 mbps with 64QAM about 110 per a 20mhz carrier. 

+33% on DL theoretically. 

Anyone know if the Empire State Building has a DAS in it? I noticed a really strong B25 10x10 signal inside of it. Almost to strong to be from a Macro Site. The 1X signal also has the BSL note that says "Empire State Building" I noticed around the same time the speeds from the Macro site by my office one block away almost doubled in speeds. I would max out at 50Mbps but now I've seen 100Mbps. I average 40 to 70 now. Before its was 20 to 40. Its a old clear site. I guess it could be a 3rd Carrier but I've never seen 3xCA in the debug menu. When these Clear sites got a 3rd carrier are they able to do 3x CA or are they still stuck with 2xCA?

5 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

Anyone know if the Empire State Building has a DAS in it? I noticed a really strong B25 10x10 signal inside of it. Almost to strong to be from a Macro Site. The 1X signal also has the BSL note that says "Empire State Building" I noticed around the same time the speeds from the Macro site by my office one block away almost doubled in speeds. I would max out at 50Mbps but now I've seen 100Mbps. I average 40 to 70 now. Before its was 20 to 40. Its a old clear site. I guess it could be a 3rd Carrier but I've never seen 3xCA in the debug menu. When these Clear sites got a 3rd carrier are they able to do 3x CA or are they still stuck with 2xCA?

Clear sites are capable of 3xCA. Also, since most sites around probably got 256QAM and 3xCA, the load might just be better balanced.

1 hour ago, nexgencpu said:

Clear sites are capable of 3xCA. Also, since most sites around probably got 256QAM and 3xCA, the load might just be better balanced.

Very possible this is why my speeds increase. its crazy that in the middle of the day in such a busy area I can reach speeds of 100Mbps.

• Like 2

Just a few mins ago 33rd and 3rd Ave on a full sprint site. I honestly think sprint is the best in Manhattan. Screenshot_20180801-175550_Speedtest.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That's what I keep saying. They really are great in alot of NYC. I'm gonna try to get out to BK later today to see if I spot that M-MIMO site.

• Like 1

I thinks it’s in southern Brooklyn but I’m not sure exactly where. The only landmark in that picture is the crane looking thing and I don’t know where that is. 
It's a hoist for putting boats in and out of the water. After a quick search for a marina with a big hoist came up with this. I believe the antennas is on the roof of the office building on the corner of Avenue U and E 69th st. Spun the map around to try and get the same view from the pic1b98f8c434e9f2866fa12c336a5707cb.jpg

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

It's a hoist for putting boats in and out of the water. After a quick search for a marina with a big hoist came up with this. I believe the antennas is on the roof of the office building on the corner of Avenue U and E 69th st. Spun the map around to try and get the same view from the pic1b98f8c434e9f2866fa12c336a5707cb.jpg

Interesting location. I'm going to try and make it out there this weekend but it's no so accessible. Now I have an excuse to go back to Mill basin deli

A little M-MIMO preview action!

cUchG0q.jpg

Not as high as I thought but I guess it's really for capacity during peak times.

I wonder how these will compare to the 4 or 5 carrier B41 sites

Not as high as I thought but I guess it's really capacity during peak times.

I wonder how these will compare to the 4 or 5 carrier B41 sites

Unfortunately I could not verify MIMO but if it's running in normal 2x2 its close to its theoretical maximum speed.

One thing I gotta point out, at the edge I was still hitting 100mbs+ and uploads were very stable (4-7mbs at the cell edge) from about 5 blocks away in any direction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, menecer said:

Great detective work! I used to live 5 minutes from there but I've never been to that marina. 

Yes it's that site.

Nexgen & I geolocated it earlier today with a little help of the drydock crane, marina, roof architecture, and  S4GRU sponsor maps. 

If anyone want to visit that site with a rooted device running NSG it'd be very appreciated. 

• Like 5

Great job. Finding Massive MIMO deserves its own Premier Thread for the first few sites of each type.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For those interested on how it performed. At the very edge of the signal about 5-6 blocks away (signal around -115dBm) speeds were solidly over 80mbs+ and 200mbs+ 1-4blocks away during peak hours. Granted, this area does not have a ton of obstruction and population is pretty low. Need to see how these will perform in places like Times Square, where big crowds are around 24/7.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

Massive MIMO goodnees!

T0ta4EI.jpg

crazy how small these things are! tower companies want to charge more for the weight but these antennas are all in one solutions and are much smaller. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mirskyc said:

crazy how small these things are! tower companies want to charge more for the weight but these antennas are all in one solutions and are much smaller. 

Absolutely! I think the tower companies are taking advantage of the fact that only Sprint's M-MIMO antennas are more compact and less equipment unlike the other carrier(s) version. Sucks that's Sprint is bring lumped into that conversation.