Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

6 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

Altice is hitting 400mbps/40mbps in most areas for residential service, not sure if thats the max for business use as well but its 100% better than LTE relay

Is it safe to assume that all the former Clear Small Cells in NYC are currently being run off fiber or a wired connection. Was there such a thing as WiMax relay or the equipment for it back then? I would think LTE relay small cells are the ones that were added later on it allowed them to get them running quicker, not having to wait for fiber to be ran. 

All clear conversions have wired backhaul. The only sites that have UE Relay are all newly added sites. This also explains the speed they were able to deploy these new sites.

Altice is hitting 400mbps/40mbps in most areas for residential service, not sure if thats the max for business use as well but its 100% better than LTE relay

Is it safe to assume that all the former Clear Small Cells in NYC are currently being run off fiber or a wired connection. Was there such a thing as WiMax relay or the equipment for it back then? I would think LTE relay small cells are the ones that were added later on it allowed them to get them running quicker, not having to wait for fiber to be ran. 
Yes, all the converted wimax sites should be fiber or Ethernet fed. The relay sites are likely new builds.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

has anyone else ever come across this. this is the second time i've seen it. both times i was at a job site so i couldn't really focus on my phone. not sure if its just a SCP mistake .

wBGmx6T.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nexgencpu said:

Just hit up a small cell that had relay backhaul now hitting over 60mbs..ping leads me to believe it's Docsis (40-70ms) but very happy with speeds previously were 5-10mbs.

what borough? curious if this was the result of the altice agreement. it just seems pretty quick to happen, unless it was already in the planing stages

has anyone else ever come across this. this is the second time i've seen it. both times i was at a job site so i couldn't really focus on my phone. not sure if its just a SCP mistake .

wBGmx6T.png
Not a mistake. It means what it means. High capacity mini macro setup.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, lilotimz said:

Not a mistake. It means what it means. High capacity mini macro setup.

is this the same base station equipment of a normal MM but with 8t8r antennas?

is this the same base station equipment of a normal MM but with 8t8r antennas?

Not necessarily.

Nokia mini macros and most small cells are all in one eNB that contain the BTS and RRUs in one compact unit.

All it means is that there is an added mini macro to an existing site adding another additional 40 MHz of capacity based on the GCI ending.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lilotimz said:

Not necessarily.

Nokia mini macros and most small cells are all in one eNB that contain the BTS and RRUs in one compact unit.

All it means is that there is an added mini macro to an existing site adding another additional 40 MHz of capacity based on the GCI ending.

thats a pretty genius set up for big cities. you end up with more capacity than full build 3xCA site 60mhz vs 80mhz.  You lose out on some range but in NYC where the network is so dense you don't need that range as much. You also lose out on max speed but I would take more capacity or top speed anyday. 

edit: and its probably alot cheaper as well

Edited by mirskyc

7 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

thats a pretty genius set up for big cities. you end up with more capacity than full build 3xCA site 60mhz vs 80mhz.  You lose out on some range but in NYC where the network is so dense you don't need that range as much. You also lose out on max speed but I would take more capacity or top speed anyday. 

Where did you pick up the HC setup?

2 hours ago, mirskyc said:

Could this be Massive Mimo? I have yet to see a MM HC in NYC.

7 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

51 5th ave

you need to investigate further, i have yet to see sprint use mm (sc cells aside)in midtown.

9 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Unlikely at this point. Likely is what it says it is.

I know that area fairly well, was covered by Clearwire site that crumbled under load during peak hours. I find it hard to believe they would install hc mm site there.

20 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

you need to investigate further, i have yet to see sprint use mm (sc cells aside)in midtown.

I know that area fairly well, was covered by Clearwire site that crumbled under load during peak hours. I find it hard to believe they would install hc mm site there.

What's hard to believe?

Nokia removed the Samsung Clear eNB and replaced it with their own Nokia eNB while adding additional capacity at minimal cost. It's something seen in several markets that has been happening very slowly."

MMR's (massive mimo radios) are not ready to be deployed for prime time at this time. 

11 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

What's hard to believe?

Nokia removed the Samsung Clear eNB and replaced it with their own Nokia eNB while adding additional capacity at minimal cost. It's something seen in several markets that has been happening very slowly."

MMR's (massive mimo radios) are not ready to be deployed for prime time at this time. 

I will go and take a peak at the site tomorrow.  But your probably right.

• Like 1

Just wanted to let you guys know that reporting issues on the mysprint app has been working out great in NYC! I reported an issue from a buddy's place in BK, who lost b41 access months ago. He said it was getting so bad (sub 1mb at all times of day on b25) he was considering switching. I asked him to report the issue (which he kinda brushed me off with zero expectation) And I reported as well. Two days later..B41 back! Speeds went from .50 to 100mbs+. He was ecstatic since he never tested after Config change and was blown away by the increase.

Second case, reported my local small cell, it gets overburdened during peak times (relay backhaul..grr!) to the point where no data gets transferred. Well, three days later, they finally turned it off completely, and did slight downtilt (signal from site went from -105dBm to now seeing -95dBm) from local macro site and speeds are now 5x faster (from 3-4mb to 20mbs+).

Glad to see NYC RF team doing good work.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Confused 1

Just left JFK Airport for LAX. Noticed that Sprint now has a DAS in Terminal 5. I recall them posting about it recently. While is only 2xCA it provided amazing signal and speeds. Here is the only and only speed test I took 

UqJ2EVS.png?1

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2018 at 9:08 AM, nexgencpu said:

Just wanted to let you guys know that reporting issues on the mysprint app has been working out great in NYC! I reported an issue from a buddy's place in BK, who lost b41 access months ago. He said it was getting so bad (sub 1mb at all times of day on b25) he was considering switching. I asked him to report the issue (which he kinda brushed me off with zero expectation) And I reported as well. Two days later..B41 back! Speeds went from .50 to 100mbs+. He was ecstatic since he never tested after Config change and was blown away by the increase.

Second case, reported my local small cell, it gets overburdened during peak times (relay backhaul..grr!) to the point where no data gets transferred. Well, three days later, they finally turned it off completely, and did slight downtilt (signal from site went from -105dBm to now seeing -95dBm) from local macro site and speeds are now 5x faster (from 3-4mb to 20mbs+).

Glad to see NYC RF team doing good work.

well they pro active about it which is great....i m using boost mobile as a sprint tracker and i couldnt be happier :) they are starting drastically improve...lets see what happens this year. i am very positive that things will only get better.

• 2 weeks later...

This morning I no longer had access to Verizon roaming in the East River tunnel for the LIRR. Normally I have access to 1X the whole ride and sometimes 3G but I never have access to data. Only voice calls and texts go through. Still had no access as I took my 5:20 train home. 

I wonder if Verizon shut down the 3G in the tunnel or even in Penn Station. Or maybe just blocking roaming. Or maybe they are doing work.  It was one of the plus side of having Sprint over AT&T or T-Mobile. I hope this isn't a permanent thing. 

Edit still no signal in the tunnel today. Brought a verizon phone with me and it had LTE the whole time. Turned it to 3G only and still had a signal. I hope Verizon roaming isn't ending yet. 

i think Sprint might finally be reducing 3G for more LTE. I saw this on Long island but i think the spectrum assets are the same for LI and NYC. Not sure if this is a SCP error cause I've never seen it here before.

4SlaOO4.png?1

qs6RdfZ.png?1

28 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

i think Sprint might finally be reducing 3G for more LTE. I saw this on Long island but i think the spectrum assets are the same for LI and NYC. Not sure if this is a SCP error cause I've never seen it here before.

4SlaOO4.png?1

qs6RdfZ.png?1

If Im not mistaken we do have the spectrum available for 10x10+5x5 PCS. 

But you can also confirm using the engineering screen.