Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

23 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

Found live 5G in BK's king plaza. Clearly was not meant for consumer use since it kept pushing me out, but did get a few speed test from 0mb lol to 150mb...

Side note: NR engineering screens were blank and SCP would show last LTE connection.

But seems to be coming real soon! Super excited.

Do you know which site you were picking up? Was it the monopole nearest to Kings Plaza or the Massive MIMO site that you found a while back on top of a building? If it's the monopole that would be funny because it's one of the first sites in NYC where we found live LTE.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Do you know which site you were picking up? Was it the monopole nearest to Kings Plaza or the Massive MIMO site that you found a while back on top of a building? If it's the monopole that would be funny because it's one of the first sites in NYC where we found live LTE.

There is a site right on top of the King Plaza parking garage. I could not confirm it being there tho since it seemed to be coming from a further away site.

7 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

There is a site right on top of the King Plaza parking garage. I could not confirm it being there tho since it seemed to be coming from a further away site.

If there's a Sprint site on top of the parking lot, then that's a brand new site. I don't recall there ever being one there. 

54 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

Another M-MIMO site in Brooklyn. Grand Ave and Morgan Ave in Williamsburg6b7d0fa6121fab2da35a3409140a6913.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nice.

Your market seems to have a lot of PCS only antennas. Interesting...

Nice.
Your market seems to have a lot of PCS only antennas. Interesting...
Typically Antenna size restrictions.

I've seen a few of them in socal where they used a 4' midband and a 4' lowband to satisfy regulations.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Spotted M-MIMO here https://goo.gl/maps/em96CeCq4Y3jwy616 Didn't expect to see it this far east this early on the deployment. Based on the coverage maps they were focusing on Manhattan and neighborhoods along the East River. Maybe this is coverage for LGA which is suppose to get 5G

• Like 3

I'm in total shock! My home site just got 3rd carrier!!!! This is a huge deal! No site north of 169th street in the Bronx had gotten a third carrier, even as far up north as West Nyack.

Am super happy about this. It's a huge deal!

• Like 4

I'm in total shock! My home site just got 3rd carrier!!!! This is a huge deal! No site north of 169th street in the Bronx had gotten a third carrier, even as far up north as West Nyack.
Am super happy about this. It's a huge deal!
Is it contig? In SF some higher usage sites got a third, non-contig carrier to presumably help with load.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ingenium said:

Is it contig? In SF some higher usage sites got a third, non-contig carrier to presumably help with load.

It is.

But..

if you do the math, its center frequency ends up being 2645.8 and limited to just 10mhz. Clearly it has been a lack of contiguous spectrum and they finally decided to use what we have instead of nothing at all. Performance seems to have gotten a nice solid boost(cut the carrier size in half and your looking at around 50mbs max on a 10mhz slice of TDD on config 2) so I'll take it.

Despite of it's limited nature im pretty happy and looking forward to hopefully seeing it spread further north.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ingenium said:

Are they running in any sort of CA config? or just standalone? non-contig CA is supposed to be a thing eventually....

Are they running in any sort of CA config? or just standalone? non-contig CA is supposed to be a thing eventually....
On my Pixel 3 XL, there was CA on the first 2 carriers as usual, but no CA at all with the third. It was a non contig 20 MHz carrier.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ingenium said:

On my Pixel 3 XL, there was CA on the first 2 carriers as usual, but no CA at all with the third. It was a non contig 20 MHz carrier.

I figured that. How is that stand alone carrier performing? does it easily get overloaded? or is the load balancing actually working well enough?

I figured that. How is that stand alone carrier performing? does it easily get overloaded? or is the load balancing actually working well enough?
It seemed fine, but it wasn't on a site that I connected to very often, and I didn't do a lot of testing. There are only a handful of sites that I've seen with the third carrier. If I remember correctly it seemed to load balance as expected, but it still preferred to use the 2 contig carriers if I did a speed test. Light web usage would allow me to stay on the third carrier. It wasn't wasn't very loaded at the time I tested (covered a major highway interchange that is very congested during rush hour), so I'm not sure how it would perform under load.

• Like 2

Some good speeds in Hell’s Kitchen:

You’d figure at some point Sprint would start winning Rootmetrics awards in cities with this level of performance. Guess the low upload speeds vs the other carriers counts for a lot.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

You’d figure at some point Sprint would start winning Rootmetrics awards in cities with this level of performance. Guess the low upload speeds vs the other carriers counts for a lot.

Speaking just for NYC, Sprint will never get the citywide root score award because of a combination of slower upload speeds than other carriers and poorer performance in the suburbs. It doesn't matter if Sprint is the fastest carrier in the city if they're still in last place in the suburbs. That's not to say they're bad in there but their network is not up to the same standard as it is within the city. Sprint seems to recognize that now and is doing a lot of upgrades in Long Island with the help of Altice to improve density and speeds in the area.

The good news is, Altice is currently building out a FTTH network across its entire footprint including pretty much all of the NYC suburbs so we'll probably see a backhaul increase at sites across the market and after Sprint brings Long Island up to par, they'll likely tackle northern New Jersey, Downstate NY, and much of western Connecticut next.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Palan said:

Upload speeds are still terrible. I don’t get why

Only 4G is being used for uploads, similar to CA with 4G as primary, 5g as secondary.

• 2 weeks later...
Is this the first high capacity M-MIMO site spotting. St Mark's and 1st Ave 50deab1fe03b9926a3d3ad8b8cf3bf81.jpg08534ebace41e56474e347fd05f8f4a3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Negatory. They're shorty antenna panels stacked on top of other.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk