Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

is anyone seeing those 100mbs speeds in NYC with CA?

You should browse back a couple pages.  People have been reporting speed of 100+ in NYC. Only 2xCA is capable of speed greater than 80 mbs. 

I was on lunch today at tmobile checking out their plan prices. One of the reps came up and asked what service you on?

I said Sprint and she immediately went on this rant on how sprint is slow, ouch etc etc..

So I told her lets do a speediest inside the store. She took out her phone and it was Tmoble 3mb/s down Sprint 6mb/s down.

It was such an awkward silence lol. Tmobile has changed the cellphone industry no doubt, but Legere has them brainwashed at this point. 

EDIT: This was at the 34rd st and 8th ave store i think.

Edited by Palan
  • Like 12

I was on lunch today at tmobile checking out their plan prices. One of the reps came up and asked what service you on?

I said Sprint and she immediately went on this rant on how sprint is slow, ouch etc etc..

So I told her lets do a speediest inside the store. She took out her phone and it was Tmoble 3mb/s down Sprint 6mb/s down.

It was such an awkward silence lol. Tmobile has changed the cellphone industry no doubt, but Legere has them brainwashed at this point. 

EDIT: This was at the 34rd st and 8th ave store i think.

Sprint may be in 4th place population wise but that will change...eat this you other carriers you are all on notice we are back with a vengance all of our own....http://www.pcmag.com/Fastest-Mobile-Networks

http://www.pcmag.com/article/345123/fastest-mobile-networks-2016/2

http://www.pcmag.com/article/345123/fastest-mobile-networks-2016

I hope they don't reward my 1997-presence with raping my wallet in the future.

Edited by QWIKSTRIKE
  • Like 2

Maybe its just me, but noticing better speeds the last couple of days. Don't know if anything changed. 

From the Bronx to Midtown driving never dropped below 15mbs, consistently between 30-50mb. 

Good time to be a Sprint sub in NYC.

• Like 2

Maybe its just me, but noticing better speeds the last couple of days. Don't know if anything changed. 

From the Bronx to Midtown driving never dropped below 15mbs, consistently between 30-50mb. 

Good time to be a Sprint sub in NYC.

I'm noticing improvements too, except around Tremont/3rd Ave in the Bronx.  you're in that area sometimes, right?  After LTE went live it was good for a short bit, but now speeds are < 2mbps normally, and ping times are always > 250ms.  I've submitted network reports through Sprint Zone, and was thinking it was a short-term thing, but it's been a few months now.  Are you noticing this too?

I'm noticing improvements too, except around Tremont/3rd Ave in the Bronx.  you're in that area sometimes, right?  After LTE went live it was good for a short bit, but now speeds are < 2mbps normally, and ping times are always > 250ms.  I've submitted network reports through Sprint Zone, and was thinking it was a short-term thing, but it's been a few months now.  Are you noticing this too?

I have noticed it as well. I have a sneaking suspicion its some sort of interference. Even at 1 or 2 am it never seems to be able to go over 1 or 2mb. It could also be that it covers an insane amount of POP and is over saturated.

I have noticed it as well. I have a sneaking suspicion its some sort of interference. Even at 1 or 2 am it never seems to be able to go over 1 or 2mb. It could also be that it covers an insane amount of POP and is over saturated.

Good to know it happens overnight too.  Though, saturation shouldn't affect ping times AFAIK, but correct me if I'm wrong.  I've gotten <1 mbps at events with ping times still under 50ms.  It's unfortunate that it's happening here.  I do know the site that finally went LTE microwaves to another site on the Concourse, so maybe there's problems with the microwave backhaul.

Good to know it happens overnight too. Though, saturation shouldn't affect ping times AFAIK, but correct me if I'm wrong. I've gotten <1 mbps at events with ping times still under 50ms. It's unfortunate that it's happening here. I do know the site that finally went LTE microwaves to another site on the Concourse, so maybe there's problems with the microwave backhaul.

Quite possibly, i have been at Wendy's on 3rd ave on that site and it craws even though its broadcasting a ton of spectrum.

But as you mentioned backhaul could also be an issue.

I will continue to also report it on sprintzone as well now that im rocking a G5.

• Like 1

Quite possibly, i have been at Wendy's on 3rd ave on that site and it craws even though its broadcasting a ton of spectrum.

But as you mentioned backhaul could also be an issue.

I will continue to also report it on sprintzone as well now that im rocking a G5.

You got rid of your 6p???!

Man, I loved the N6P. But between the superior radio performance of the G5 and overall performance of its hardware I did it unexpectedly through the BOGO deal.

The performance of the radio on the Android n previews has been pretty stellar so if it's better than that! That is impressive 

I cant believe how good the network has gotten in NYC. I'm almost worried that they will eventually start jacking up prices.

The only thing holding them back from doing that is that the network still needs work in a lot of places. 

Just came from Astoria and hit this during basically rush hour.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2030080952

I cant believe how good the network has gotten in NYC. I'm almost worried that they will eventually start jacking up prices.

The only thing holding them back from doing that is that the network still needs work a lot of places.

Not bad the very very very good ! Their network has improved very much

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The only thing holding them back from doing that is that the network still needs work in a lot of places. 

The network still has many holes though. The Metro-North tracks through the Bronx have some of the most congestion I have seen since LTE began to rollout. I have tweeted about it and reported it through the app. That is the only pain point left on my commute. But it has been fascinating to watch over the years. Started out with not being able to listen to music, to then having spotty streaming of music, to full streaming of radio, and now even video is getting better if I need to catch up on news on the way home. Hell last night I uploaded my lecture slides to Blackboard from my iPhone for my students.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was just in SoHo and pulled 23 down and 10 up with a 29ms ping. For a place as busy as it is, getting speeds like that on a single carrier device is pretty great.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm waiting to see some of the small cell goodness here in Queens. Still come across gaps in coverage and places where my phones camp on a barely usable B41 site rather than B25/B26.

I like Sprint but its pissing me off right now. My new work location gets basically no data and very poor voice inside.

My co-workers on other carriers are fine, even metro pcs...This is around Hudson Yards 33rd st.

I may switch to t mobile the next couple of months. Not much of a choice really...

I like Sprint but its pissing me off right now. My new work location gets basically no data and very poor voice inside.

My co-workers on other carriers are fine, even metro pcs...This is around Hudson Yards 33rd st.

I may switch to t mobile the next couple of months. Not much of a choice really...

That sucks. I don't know if I can attribute that to the whole area though. Just a few months ago at the car show in the Javits Center, my speeds were great inside and out, even with all of the people there.

Its gonna be interesting to see how all the carriers are gonna deal with all that construction going on there.

Wifi not an option?

Its gonna be interesting to see how all the carriers are gonna deal with all that construction going on there.

Yes there is a ton of stuff going on here, like a mini city going up.

It's certainly going to require new sites being put up around there since there won't be an open empty hole there anymore. It reminds me of my college. We put up a new residence hall recently that will probably affect coverage for people in some of the dorms. However, I'm living in that residence hall this fall so now, I'll have LoS with the tower.