Lightsquared's LTE network doomed

We all knew it was pretty much inevitable. The FCC had the National Telecommunications and Information Administration look into the potential interference and the NTIA recommended that "It is our conclusion at this time that there are no mitigation strategies that both solve the interference issues and provide LightSquared with an adequate commercial network deployment." It was a great plan, but it looks like the end of the line for LS2.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/14/3429658/lightsquared-dealt-blow-by-regulators.html

yeah heres the story on engadget too.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/14/fcc-to-deny-lightsquared-lte-bid/

They have the $$ to keep plugging away at this thing for a few years evidently too so will be interested to see how it ends up in the long haul...

AJ is considering doing a write up on this today or tomorrow in my absence.

S4GRU is now mobile...posted via Forum Runner

cool to know. I mean from their previous talk they have funding to still grind this out for at least a couple years and try other things, whatever they may be...

cool to know. I mean from their previous talk they have funding to still grind this out for at least a couple years and try other things, whatever they may be...

They would probably have to come up with something new for the FCC to take another look at it. They are pretty much closing the book on it for now.

cool to know. I mean from their previous talk they have funding to still grind this out for at least a couple years and try other things' date=' whatever they may be...[/quote']

I think the last I read, LightSquared is down to the last $300M dollars. I think they were counting on some positive news from the FCC to help the cause to raise more money. This is likely the end. Suing is their only resort.

I think the last I read, LightSquared is down to the last $300M dollars. I think they were counting on some positive news from the FCC to help the cause to raise more money. This is likely the end. Suing is their only resort.

yeah I was wrong not "years" but "quarters" instead. lol. Last they said was they "...had enough cash to keep the company going for several quarters..."

http://gigaom.com/broadband/can-carl-icahn-pick-up-the-pieces-of-lightsquared/

yeah I was wrong not "years" but "quarters" instead. lol. Last they said was they "...had enough cash to keep the company going for several quarters..."

http://gigaom.com/br...f-lightsquared/

Yeah, I saw that a while ago and it seemed wierd that all of a sudden they had money to keep it going when they kept getting denied at every turn.

LightSquared is doomed. Spending their money on a lawsuit will only make things worse. I guess it's time for them to throw in the towel. One less backup for Sprint. Maybe Dish will get regulatory approval for an LTE network.

LightSquared is doomed. Spending their money on a lawsuit will only make things worse. I guess it's time for them to throw in the towel. One less backup for Sprint. Maybe Dish will get regulatory approval for an LTE network.

I hope so, and I hope they don't make a deal with AT&T. AT&T could easily drive up the price if they don't end up buying the spectrum or doing a hosting agreement.

Well this might hurt a bit for sprint too. Least if they have already spent some of this...or planned on needing it for other things...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/15/sprint-may-have-dug-itself-a-65-million-hole-with-lightsquared/

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

LS2 needs to take the remaining funds it has and set up monitoring to see which industry devices bleed over into its spectrum and bill the offender for its use. LS2 could recoup a bunch of money that way. Silly, I know but its a waste to see a good idea and business plan go down the drain because of politicians, sloppy manufacturers and politicians.

LS2 needs to take the remaining funds it has and set up monitoring to see which industry devices bleed over into its spectrum and bill the offender for its use. LS2 could recoup a bunch of money that way. Silly, I know but its a waste to see a good idea and business plan go down the drain because of politicians, sloppy manufacturers and politicians.

haha GPS device makers freak. lol

That might not be a bad idea. It might work, but still would take some time to collect all those funds.

I don't know where LS2 keeps finding these rabbits to pull out of its hat, but I give them credit in trying to hang around. Just when I think they're down to the last straw, They try something different.

http://www.bloomberg...ghtsquared.html

That is certainly a rabbit in a hat... I hope it works.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That is certainly a rabbit in a hat... I hope it works.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Yeah me too. Doesn't sound like Falcone is going to be giving up so easily..

• 4 weeks later...

I personally would like to see LightSquared get its network up and off the ground. I don't think it will happen anytime soon, if ever, but it is still a great idea and would provide more LTE options for the market as a whole.

• Like 1

What do you think if LightSquared partner up with Clearwire and become a major investor by putting several billions in Clearwire to pay off most of their debt and their major LTE Deployment which will also help and benefit Sprint, and Lightsquared can call it day without going through all the legal trouble they already been through?

They just got 65 million back from 290 million they paid sprint upfront at the beginning of their deal.

Also I do not believe sprint would want them messing with Clearwire. I think Sprint is trying to keep Clear on a leash until it is ready to swallow them back in.