T-Mobile offering new Unlimited Data Plan

rjw

Looks like Sprint has company now. This will more than likely allow them to keep the unlimited data plan even longer now that T-Mobile has jumped back into the game. T-Mobile has Excellent data speeds where I live and this would be a great alternative to Sprint's Network Vision.

T-Mobile New Unlimited Data Plan

Fixed Broken Link

Edit - 8/22/12 8:24PM

Looks like Sprint has company now. This will more than likely allow them to keep the unlimited data plan even longer now that T-Mobile has jumped back into the game. T-Mobile has Excellent data speeds where I live and this would be a great alternative to Sprint's Network Vision.

T-Mobile New Unlimited Data Plan

And none of you believed me. Unlimited is back and here to stay. At&t and vzw will cave, they'll just have to lose some customers first.

All that being said, I didn't expect this to happen so quickly.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I hope that everyone comes back to truly unlimited, but I think Big Red and Big Blue will NEVER offer unlimited data again. They are making too much money off their inflated data rates. Sprint and T-Mobile need "gimmicks" to keep customers while their networks are upgrades/expanded.

This virtually assures that Sprint will keep unlimited for the long haul.

Prices are lower than Sprint's. Do you think that Sprint will have to respond and drop their prices in order to compete with T-Mobile?

Prices are lower than Sprint's. Do you think that Sprint will have to respond and drop their prices in order to compete with T-Mobile?

T-Mobile's prices have been rock bottom for the past year. Tmo is in a desperate situation to stop the loss of subscribers. I think Sprint will just hold steady. It will help maintain the status quo...unlimited as priced.

Robert

No I don't think Sprint will lower their prices since the Sprint Everything plan is already cheaper than Tmobile's proposed unlimited data plan. Sprint's Everything plan is $79.99 ($69.99 + $10 premium data) while Tmobile's new unlimited plan starts at $89.99 on 9/5 which is $10 more than Sprint's plan.

Until they can beat Sprint's plan I don't see Sprint lowering their prices.

T-Mobile's prices have been rock bottom for the past year. Tmo is in a desperate situation to stop the loss of subscribers. I think Sprint will just hold steady. It will help maintain the status quo...unlimited as priced.

Robert

T-Mo wouldn't be so desperate if they would ease up their credit requirements. Last I checked, they wanted me to pay full price for the phones and $100 Deposit per line. Sprint only made me sign up for that $4.99/mo per line charge for having sub-par credit.

I'm seriously considering switching for this. They have HSPA+42 in my area which to me is as good as LTE and I'm off contract in December. I have a feeling their EDGE areas are as good as Sprint 3G (in oklahoma) too. I can stay with them for 2 years then if Sprint brings 800 LTE to my area I'll switch back.

They are really not.

tmobile base plan for 500min/unlimited text is 50 bucks. Add the 30 dollars for unlimited data and it bumps you to 80 bucks, which is right in line with Sprint, but sprint gives you unlimited any mobile for that price. If you wanted to add that to tmobile, you would have to pay an extra 10 bucks, which means your bill will be 90 bucks a month.

I do not see sprint dropping their prices.

I'm strongly considering this. With a Gnex from the Play store, I could go with the TMO value plan, and since I don't talk a lot 500min+unlimited text and unlimited data would be fine for $60 (40 for the plan + 20 for the data). For $70 I could get unlimited talk, but I doubt I need it.

I'm currently using a cheap TMO prepaid hotspot/Gtab combo, and I get speeds of 5-9Mbps down and 1-2.3Mbps up where I work (I use wifi at home), which is fine for me, and who knows, the Gnex may perform better than the budget hotspot.

I originally got an SG3 with Sprint, but once I discovered that 3g speeds were always in the painfully slow 100kbps range for me in Austin, I returned it and activated a used dumb phone while I considered my options. When I moved to Sprint from VZW I was under the impression that LTE would be up by the end of August. It looks like that's not the case now, and I may go back to plan A, which was pay for a Gnex, and go to a prepaid or a BYOD plan.

Or I could just stick with the dumbphone/tablet combo, which combined runs me $65, but I only get 1.5GB of data.

I'm seriously considering switching for this. They have HSPA+42 in my area which to me is as good as LTE and I'm off contract in December. I have a feeling their EDGE areas are as good as Sprint 3G (in oklahoma) too. I can stay with them for 2 years then if Sprint brings 800 LTE to my area I'll switch back.

Everyone I know complains about spotty Tmo coverage, reduced voice quality, etc. Also, they have less roaming coverage. Also, EDGE areas will stay EDGE, but Sprint is upgrading it's entire network. Unless you live inside a major metro area and stay there, Tmo is not a good solution for most of us.

Robert

The coolest part is, you can do the prepaid route via SIM and BYOD.

Great if you live in an area that has great T-Mobile coverage.

I've been tempted to get an unlocked GS3 and buy a no contract T-Mobile sim just to play around with it.

• Like 1

Everyone I know complains about spotty Tmo coverage, reduced voice quality, etc. Also, they have less roaming coverage. Also, EDGE areas will stay EDGE, but Sprint is upgrading it's entire network. Unless you live inside a major metro area and stay there, Tmo is not a good solution for most of us.

Robert

I thought that as part of the 1900mhz rebranding that some of their edge areas would finally receive 3G/4G?

I thought that as part of the 1900mhz rebranding that some of their edge areas would finally receive 3G/4G?

I'm not that hip to what Tmo is doing. I only know what I hear Tmo customers say in my area.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Robert

Yeah I noticed that. I know a lot of people with T-Mobile in Tulsa who like it a lot. I have heard nothing but good things about the service (unless you leave outside Tulsa in which case, expect edge).

The real reason this interests me is the value of the plans being on par with Sprint (for me) and having good HSPA+42 speeds. T-Mobile and Verizon are the only carriers that have blessed my area with, (how should I word this), "4G~esque" speeds and I spend 95% of my time in the immediate Tulsa area.

Yeah I noticed that. I know a lot of people with T-Mobile in Tulsa who like it a lot. I have heard nothing but good things about the service (unless you leave outside Tulsa in which case' date=' expect edge).

The real reason this interests me is the value of the plans being on par with Sprint (for me) and having good HSPA+42 speeds. T-Mobile and Verizon are the only carriers that have blessed my area with, (how should I word this), "4G~esque" speeds and I spend 95% of my time in the immediate Tulsa area.[/quote']

But you frequently talk about the cabin and Bartlesville. So I assumed you spend a lot of time outside Tulsa.

But you frequently talk about the cabin and Bartlesville. So I assumed you spend a lot of time outside Tulsa.

True, but not as often as I used to. The other stipulation is that I have family members would be staying on Sprint and I rarely go out there by myself so I would still have the benefit of being able to borrow Sprint service.

All things considered I'll probably stay but the H42 Speeds just seem so alluring.

• Like 1

Robert

This is true in a lot of places. I used to live in Anderson, SC for about a year and they touted having 3G service yet all they had was 2G in the entire City. You have to be very careful to make sure that your immediate home area has decent coverage.

Robert

I live in the Bay Area and their HSPA+ coverage seems only slightly better than Sprint's Wimax, and ditto for building penetration. Is that thanks to the 2100mhz part of AWS, or just bad network management?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2

I have access to a T-Mobile HSPA phone I carry around just for fun, and I highly recommend you buy a cheap T-Mobile SIM card and activate it on one of their contract free Monthly4G plans, just to try out their coverage. Sure, if you have solid HSPA+ coverage wherever you are, it's okay, but even in major metros, at least in California, I drop back to EDGE all the time, and EDGE is essentially 2G, equivalent to 1X on Sprint I believe, and it's useless, it is terribly frustrating. In building coverage also seems really really touchy. Definitely try before you buy.

I live in the Bay Area and their HSPA+ coverage seems only slightly better than Sprint's Wimax, and ditto for building penetration. Is that thanks to the 2100mhz part of AWS, or just bad network management?

Both, 1900 and 1700/2100 is not a good combination long term for spectrum. They have a lot of towers to maintain and upgrade and you don't get the benefits of 2.5 fat pipes or distance of 700/800/850. This is where T-Mobile is really hurting, they really need low end spectrum, but cant afford to buy anything. If they had the money, first thing they would need to do is a nationwide Network Vision type project.

Their spectrum situation will leave them paying At&t a lot of money for many years to come for roaming, whereas Sprint will be able to reduce a lot of their roaming payments to Verizon with Network Vision and SMR Spectrum.

• Like 1

I tried T-Mobile for a month with their monthly 5GB plan.

In the big cities, speeds were really good, but in smaller cities the phone indicated the 21 Mbps connection, but never could get more than 1.5 Mbps, any time of day, which tells me they only have a single T1 for data. I wish I 'only' got that slow speed on Sprint. ;)

Their maps on their site were a pipe dream, read their good/best/better comments, mostly it seems as though good means that I have to be on a ladder on a roof with my arm stretched out. Kinda silly.

They do play the 'confuse the user' with map coverage on their website, not as how bad Sprint does though, using slightly lighter shades of a light green. Use greatly different colours please, both companies.

But having any phone, swapping with a SIM is great, battery life is amazing on GSM phones.