Sprint LTE and iPhone 5

I don't recall where I read this, but apparently iPhone users tend to use less data than Android users. Nearly all the iPhone users I know mainly use their phones for texting and Facebook, whereas most of the Android users I know (myself included) use more data intensive processes like streaming video. It would be in the carriers best interest to acquire users who use less data but pay the same monthly fee as more data hungry subscribers.

Both my parents use iPhones and they use very little data. I suspect that many iPhone users are in the same situation because of the perceived simple nature of the OS.

Both my parents use iPhones and they use very little data. I suspect that many iPhone users are in the same situation because of the perceived simple nature of the OS.

Some call it simple, but I've also heard others call it boring. ;)

• Like 2

I like iOS. Whether or not it is simple or boring, it is easy for me to use being the 1st smartphone OS I got to use.

That's the point of iOS and the iPhone and why it's so successful: it just WORKS, it does what you want it to do.

That's the point of iOS and the iPhone and why it's so successful: it just WORKS' date=' it does what you want it to do.[/quote']

Unless of course you get a defective one, like it seems my MacBook Pro is turning out to be. :( My jailbroken iPhone gives me less problems.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

I left Sprint to get the iPhone. Came back when then got it.

Its really that simple. I really don't care what your opinion of Apple is.

That's the point of iOS and the iPhone and why it's so successful: it just WORKS, it does what you want it to do.

When people use phrases like "It's just that simple." and "it just works" I feel like I'm being talked down to by someone who thinks they're superior to me in some way. I get that feeling in apple stores and when they talk down to you like that as they decide to refuse honoring the warranty on a product you paid a special premium for (happened three separate times), it leaves a permanent bad taste in your mouth about anyone else who acts smug.

I look at Apple's marketing, I looked at some of the crap judge koh bought into. It disgusts me.

I can understand that the iPhone works for you but saying "it just works", implies to me that anything else "just doesn't" which is a complete falsehood. Its like people I know who own high end BMWs and Mercedes cars that tell me my car is bland, uninspired and slow (a Toyota Camry). I bought my car for gas milage and reliability but because it isn't German engineered and lacks any racing history they act like I would be better off walking.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 8

No iPhones to date support CDMA on the 800MHz SMR band. I'm sure Apple still advertises it as supporting 800MHz, but what they're actually referring to is the 850MHz cellular band.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Probably not. iPhones are second class citizens.

;)

AJ

AJ, what will be required to support CDMA 1x 800? WHy would it be difficult since the radio and antenna that already serves 850mhz should be within range to access the 800mhz band? Wouldn't it be fairly trivial and depend whether the components are in broad supply? Given that HTC, Samsung, Motorola, LG, et. al. are already sourcing components that are SMR800mhz capable for CDMA, as well as the 850mhz band (since Sprint roams at that freq), why would Apple not want its purchasers of IPhone 5 to experience the improved coverage and in-building penetration offered by Sprint's new CDMA on 800mhz? I had assumed or taken this for granted but wish to get the opinion of folks here who actually know the technical constraints that will affect the next iPhone 5.

Similarly, besides CDMA 1x voice, if iPhone 5 will have radios and antennae that serve the 700 band 850band, 900band, 1800 band, and 1900 band (you seem to suggest no 1700/2100 AWS band at all), what is the constraint on provisioning LTE at 800 band? Is not the LTE comm processing capability separate from the RF definitions in the radio that defines which frequencies?

Just curious.

It absolutely is. With Sprint's site density, inbuilding voice coverage will be unmatched. For those of us that do work in what are essentially bunkers that barely get cellular 850 roaming signal, this is a big deal (especially for people whose calls I would have missed).

edit: WOOHOO eHRPD status!

Or those with very poor Site density where you would have thought a 850mhz engineer did the network, we will be happy to see the normal coverage you are supposed to have. I am worried our true LTE PCS map will look like some areas wimax maps because of the tower spacing here in my area.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Could have fooled me when I was tearing my hair out with stupid itunes a few month ago for my kids ipod.. I kept saying I would have been done in 2 seconds with Android.

So maybe it works but that's because it is very limited in what you can do with it. Like my neighbor always says, iphones are smart phones for dumb people like me. Mind you he still asks me how to do stuff.

We each have our love of a phone or operating system and of course our choice is the best one because we made it. So with that said..... Android sucks. IOS sucks. Android is awesome. And IOS is awesome. Done.

• Like 1

As has been said before in the forums, if the next iPhone supports CDMA on 800mhz, it will be because they (apple) chose to add it. Not because Sprint played hardball at the bargaining table and not because Sprint told apple that they needed to add it because all 2012 phones need to support 800mhz CDMA. Sprint gave the farm to apple to get the "privilege" to sell the iPhone.

Sent with AOSP JB Toro on Forum Runner

Sprint and Apple are partners, the next iphone will support 1X 800. Apple chooses support for devices for carriers they have agreements with not cause its what the want to do. make no sense to support and test for frequencies( TMO) that you do not support or have agreements in place to support. Apple does not make money selling unlocked devices, the bulk almost all of their sales are subsidized(carrier) phones.

Could have fooled me when I was tearing my hair out with stupid itunes a few month ago for my kids ipod.. I kept saying I would have been done in 2 seconds with Android.

So maybe it works but that's because it is very limited in what you can do with it. Like my neighbor always says, iphones are smart phones for dumb people like me. Mind you he still asks me how to do stuff.

My future bro in law has an iphone 4 and my sister has the ipod touch, trying to do anything on them to help out drove me nuts. Nothing on the device/OS/iTunes for Windows was intuitive. Such a PITA coming from the ease of Android.

My sister got a Droid Razr when she upgraded from her blackberry and she loves it. So easy to assist her with issues.

When people use phrases like "It's just that simple." and "it just works" I feel like I'm being talked down to by someone who thinks they're superior to me in some way. I get that feeling in apple stores and when they talk down to you like that as they decide to refuse honoring the warranty on a product you paid a special premium for (happened three separate times), it leaves a permanent bad taste in your mouth about anyone else who acts smug.

I look at Apple's marketing, I looked at some of the crap judge koh bought into. It disgusts me.

I can understand that the iPhone works for you but saying "it just works", implies to me that anything else "just doesn't" which is a complete falsehood. Its like people I know who own high end BMWs and Mercedes cars that tell me my car is bland, uninspired and slow (a Toyota Camry). I bought my car for gas milage and reliability but because it isn't German engineered and lacks any racing history they act like I would be better off walking.

Amen brother, perhaps a different phrase is necessary.

When I say "it just works" in reference to the iOS device line, I'm referring to my experience in watching customers pick up the device and use it. For some reason, there is a sense of intuitive use about the phone. I don't mean it in the sense that iOS/Apple devices are BETTER by any stretch of the word, rather, the experience for someone who has never used a smartphone, or isn't as "savvy" as us, is different.

• Like 1

Sprint and Apple are partners, the next iphone will support 1X 800. Apple chooses support for devices for carriers they have agreements with not cause its what the want to do. make no sense to support and test for frequencies( TMO) that you do not support or have agreements in place to support. Apple does not make money selling unlocked devices, the bulk almost all of their sales are subsidized(carrier) phones.

Yay, go apple! :td:

Apple does not make money selling unlocked devices, the bulk almost all of their sales are subsidized(carrier) phones.

I disagree. Apple does make money from selling unlocked phones in the form of their ecosystem (iTunes music, apps, etc). Having someone buy into a device ecosystem is worth far more than selling them a single device because it can continuously generate revenue and serves as a barrier to switching to another device ecosystem once they have purchased non-portable content (ie. iOS apps can only be used with iOS).

I disagree. Apple does make money from selling unlocked phones in the form of their ecosystem (iTunes music, apps, etc). Having someone buy into a device ecosystem is worth far more than selling them a single device because it can continuously generate revenue and serves as a barrier to switching to another device ecosystem once they have purchased non-portable content (ie. iOS apps can only be used with iOS).

This is a great point and the first point I use when someone asks me if they should get an Android Device or iOS device. If you've made purchases in iTunes or Google Play/Amazon App markets then those are only compatible with their given operating system and it is best practice to stay where you are to not have to rebuy apps.

But for a long time with almost every other product it wasn't true that it just worked. There's one iPhone and there's iOS and it just kind of 'IS.'

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2

We each have our love of a phone or operating system and of course our choice is the best one because we made it. So with that said..... Android sucks. IOS sucks. Android is awesome. And IOS is awesome. Done.

That is exactly what I mean about the iPhone - there is one iPhone and one (essentially) iOS and these are the things you can do with it, etc. I really dislike it for that reason, I don't like the one size fits all design strategy of the whole thing, and it's why I really like Android, I'm a tinkerer, it's just, for a long time for people like my Mom there was no hope with her and Android, for example. It's much better now though.

But for a long time with almost every other product it wasn't true that it just worked. There's one iPhone and there's iOS and it just kind of 'IS.'

One Phone, One OS, One Love?

One Phone, One OS, One Love?

One phone to rule them all. My precious...

AJ

• Like 1