Network Vision/LTE - Miami/West Palm Market

Mondays In Flames

Where I was impressed was on a trip my wife and I went recently to Sanibel / Ft. Myers area.  We had LTE getting onto Alligator Alley (I-75) then it eventually dropped to 4G.  I saw 2G for a quick second... didn't last for very long.  The whole time we were in Ft. Myers we didn't have LTE but just their normal "4g", but the speeds were still quick.  Checking traffic on Maps, using GPS, or looking up places to eat weren't exercises in patience in waiting for the phone to load.  That gave them some points in my book.

To me in a very basic sense they're in similar situations, in that they're rolling out LTE so it's not everywhere yet.  But at least the phone calls and texting are working consistently (and texts seem to be delivered VERY fast).

One thing I was surprised with in switching to T-Mobile is that my One cannot do SVLTE; it kicks back to the "regular" 4g.  Are all GSM LTE phones like this?

Yes, currently only MetroPCS support Voice over LTE. Verizon and AT&T have stated they deploy it soon. T-Mobile and Sprint need to work on their footprint first before deploy VoLTE

Yes, currently only MetroPCS support Voice over LTE. Verizon and AT&T have stated they deploy it soon. T-Mobile and Sprint need to work on their footprint first before deploy VoLTE

Oh I wasn't talking about Voice over LTE, but simultaneously talking on the phone and browsing the web via LTE, like the Sprint phones do.

Yeah the current GSM phones hand down to 3G where UTMS is running for voice. I would assume if they put an additional modem in the phones it may be possible like the Sprint CDMA devices. Sadly none of Sprint's recently released phones have that option anymore with probably the exception of the LG G2. Honestly for me it's no big deal as speeds on Tmobile 3G network is really good.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

So--Maybe it's just because I live/work near downtown Miami, but my service has been great for the last few months. I take the bus/metromover from Miami beach to Brickell everyday for work and I'm usually streaming Netflix or listening to iHeartRadio along the way (and including in the elevator at work!). With the exception of one dead spot near government center (in the MetroMover stop in the tunnel) I rarely have problems. Sometimes I won't get LTE but I try not to get hung up on that because now the 3G service actually seems sufficient for me to use both Netflix and iHeartRadio. It was awful a year ago when I first got my iPhone 5, but now it's mostly fine...at least in this area of town. And since I do have the commute on public transport to work I need the unlimited data without it being throttled or consting extra. I exceed the two gigs every month. Anyway I know I probably sound like a dissenting voice to all the complaints on here but I just wanted to throw this out there--i stuck it out through the bad times but its finally paying off! I hope it's not too long for the other areas of town!

• Like 5

It's really disheartening every time I walk into a t-mobile store and every phone is on LTE, while I'm on 3G with sprint.

One day... :P

On the other hand though, while driving around my 3G data is getting better, but voice and texts have really taken a nosedive. Anyone else experiencing the same?

-Luis

It's really disheartening every time I walk into a t-mobile store and every phone is on LTE, while I'm on 3G with sprint.

One day... :P

On the other hand though, while driving around my 3G data is getting better, but voice and texts have really taken a nosedive. Anyone else experiencing the same?

-Luis

My voice took a nosedive at my apartment from july until about a month ago. But now voice has been awesome consistently for last several weeks and texts fly right out! If the degradation of service that I experienced was because they were actively working on my area, then maybe there's a light at the end if the tunnel coming for you too!

Edited by BoardNski
  • Like 3

I'm willing to stick it out! Sprint is in the best position for the future, and they have planned ahead. Yea sometime I want to throw my 5s out the windows, yes today when learning of spark deployment going live but not for my iphone or any other phone I wanted to throw it out the window, but I can honestly say everyday I see improvement I travel all over dade frequently and have notice more consistent 3G speed. And I wish we had 800 deployed! But everyone has there downsides! And I'm never going to tmobile ! Except for the free 200mb a month for my tablet!

• Like 1

I'm willing to stick it out! Sprint is in the best position for the future, and they have planned ahead. Yea sometime I want to throw my 5s out the windows, yes today when learning of spark deployment going live but not for my iphone or any other phone I wanted to throw it out the window, but I can honestly say everyday I see improvement I travel all over dade frequently and have notice more consistent 3G speed. And I wish we had 800 deployed! But everyone has there downsides! And I'm never going to tmobile ! Except for the free 200mb a month for my tablet!

You said the keyword "future" I'm pretty everyone knows that but some just cant wait everyone uses there devices differently. If I was to stick it out I might as well trade in my high tech gadget phablet for a 1990s phone if all im going to be able to do is make calls and text I mean it really doesn't make no sense to have a nice piece of gadget if you cant use it to its full potential, not everyone is always around wifi heck it's embarrassing to pull out a nice gadget to show off the nice hd screens on a youtube video and all you get is buffering... the day when sprint is finally on top of their network which is in the FUTURE then thats when I'll be right back with them for now I rather go with a better choice in my area.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody in the Miami area picked up a Nexus5? Just curious to see what the LTE connectivity is like with this phone in Miami

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE

Yes, I used it for a few hours and got extremely frustrated by the fact that if I lost LTE connectivity it wouldn't come back until I toggled airplane mode. Checking forums it seemed a common complaint. I didn't notice any increase in speeds, but it did pick up LTE in areas that my iPhone hadn't. Eventually I switched back to my iPhone and put a Tmobile sim in the Nexus. Very cool that you can switch carriers by just switching out the sim.

I have been complaining for 3 months about dropped/slow data and maybe 5% of the time getting unusable 4g LTE. This has been happening since I got Sprint 1.5 years ago. Several Sprint phones that I know have the same problem in my area from Hallandale/95 west to palm ave and north to commercial blvd. If I do get 4g it is only for a block while driving and max of 5Mbps but usually under 1Mbps. I dont get 4g or "usable" 3g outside several houses in the above area which are 1 story residential areas. Still waiting on the 2 mms messages to send from yesterday and 2 weeks ago it took 4 days to receive 4 mms pics from the other phone on my account. 1.35mb app didnt get past 300kb after letting it try for several mins and drain my battery 7 percent.   

Sprint is finally admitting that it is on their end after initially giving me the run around for a week 3 months ago and saying it was my phone. I have driven 5 miles along Flamingo and couldnt get google maps to load a address for directions among numerous other daily occurrences . An engineer is supposed to call me within an hour as network vision was supposedly finished in my area on Nov 5 and there are no present trouble tickets.

Told them I either want both of my phones let go etf free or given a comparable wimax phone and keep mine to swap back when lte is on or given a spark capable phone. Gonna call sprint at least once a day until fixed.

NV rollout has been solid down here, but LTE got a few blocks away from my house a few months ago and prgress has stopped. I am getting great 3g at home >2mbps. I am in 33143 on the east side of US1 and if you look at Sensorly can see a  pocket that is missing LTE. 

I took a look in the official thread and Miami appears to be on track for full completion by 4/2014. Is this every tower in the market?  Is this projection still accurate? 

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

NV rollout has been solid down here, but LTE got a few blocks away from my house a few months ago and prgress has stopped. I am getting great 3g at home >2mbps. I am in 33143 on the east side of US1 and if you look at Sensorly can see a  pocket that is missing LTE. 

I took a look in the official thread and Miami appears to be on track for full completion by 4/2014. Is this every tower in the market?  Is this projection still accurate? 

Thanks

I live in this area and service is horrendous.

-Luis

I have a phone with poor Rf performance at best, however I am getting more and more 4g reception than I ever have. In the Pembroke Pines/Miramar area I get especially strong 4g reception. In the Kendall area where it would be spotty at best, the reception has improved dramatically. I can only imagine how good the reception will be once I upgrade to a phone with better Rf performance. To be fair, I have driven through parts of south florida where coverage is bad but it has improved big time. Its only a matter of time before we get full coverage. Come on Sprint you can do it!

Has anybody in the Miami area picked up a Nexus5? Just curious to see what the LTE connectivity is like with this phone in Miami

I'm in Delray on a long weekend with my N5 and LTE has been pretty stable up here, it starts to fade the further south I go. Sunrise blvd had no data at all, I had rough data in Sawgrass Mills and the Hard Rock, and being in the BB&T Center last night completely drained my battery. I was down here 2 years ago for hockey and the same problem happened. I read the site acceptance reports daily and was hoping for better luck down here but it's baffling that the areas with the highest concentrations (malls, sports arenas, airports) have the worst service.

For the first time ever, my phone was connected on Lte the entire day. I started in Kendall and drove on the 836w and i95 north and made it to north miami beach. Stayed on Lte the entire time. I only got 5mb down while in north miami beach but just 1 year ago I would have absolutely no Lte. I know its still not perfect yet but Lte is so much better now compared to a year ago. I guess Broward is a little bit behind miami dade. I always get Lte at miami international airport and it is great in the Miramar/Pembroke Pines area. I think it should just be a matter of time before our area is complete. The march 2014 completion estimate looks very realistic imo

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in Delray on a long weekend with my N5 and LTE has been pretty stable up here, it starts to fade the further south I go. Sunrise blvd had no data at all, I had rough data in Sawgrass Mills and the Hard Rock, and being in the BB&T Center last night completely drained my battery. I was down here 2 years ago for hockey and the same problem happened. I read the site acceptance reports daily and was hoping for better luck down here but it's baffling that the areas with the highest concentrations (malls, sports arenas, airports) have the worst service.

There are two cell sites that have yet to be upgraded in that area. Both sites are unusable whenever in the area and there is a lot of traffic at the mall or a major event.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone here in Miami has any of the sprint spark phone that won't mind showing me some speed test? I'm debating on buying the new LG G flex but would like to see how is the sprint spark in Miami which is one of the reason of getting the phone beside it being a beast of a phone.

Anyone here in Miami has any of the sprint spark phone that won't mind showing me some speed test? I'm debating on buying the new LG G flex but would like to see how is the sprint spark in Miami which is one of the reason of getting the phone beside it being a beast of a phone.

I have a nexus 5 but last I heard the phone would get a update pushed by sprint to activate spark and two, I haven't seen/heard spark being active anywhere yet...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4

Edited by icethegreat69