Network Vision/LTE - Miami/West Palm Market

Mondays In Flames

I was born in Florida but what the hell is an Ospreys' date=' LOL! :P[/quote']

An Osprey is a large bird of prey. They are actually common in Florida. If memory serves, I believe it's the mascot of the University of North Florida. Sprint is claiming that a lot of their delays for NV is because of Osprey nesting. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444433504577650050132680794.html

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

An Osprey is a large bird of prey. They are actually common in Florida. If memory serves, I believe it's the mascot of the University of North Florida. Sprint is claiming that a lot of their delays for NV is because of Osprey nesting. http://online.wsj.co...0132680794.html

Thanks for the info, LOL, I googled it after reading the article as the picture they had doesn't really do the bird justice. I'm really tired though of seeing Americans hurt by idiotic rules regarding wildlife. I remember reading about a fly that stopped development in Texas (?) when the residents of one town wanted and needed to build their first shopping center. The land was protected for a type of FLY! Then the other day I read about a frog stopping something else and now this about Ospreys. I believe that we shouldn't kill them but stopping techs from working on a tower for three months and if the birds are on 45% of Florida towers should they never work on a tower again?! It's beyond idiotic!
  • Like 2

Not that I am some kind of nature loving hippie, but I am happy to see sprint taking measures to protect wildlife. I think they should figure out a way to coexist with nature. If it takes building an extra platform for the birds to nest, great, whatever they need to do to respect a species that humans have pushed to the brink of extinction before realizing it. They should think long-term, as this is not the last time they will ever need to get up there and mess with that equipment. Yes you can remove the nest and install the equipment, but the birds will be back, and their presence can mess with the equipment, or leave you with delays at the next network upgrade. Sometimes regulations go too far to protect nature, but I don't believe this is one of those instances. The area has cell coverage already, so nobody is going to die because they can't get a cell signal to call for help. And I hardly think the inability to stream netflix is life threatening. I also doubt that this is having a huge impact on the market yet. The contractors will just work on the sites without birds until a solution is found.

• Like 3

Not that I am some kind of nature loving hippie, but I am happy to see sprint taking measures to protect wildlife. I think they should figure out a way to coexist with nature. If it takes building an extra platform for the birds to nest, great, whatever they need to do to respect a species that humans have pushed to the brink of extinction before realizing it. They should think long-term, as this is not the last time they will ever need to get up there and mess with that equipment. Yes you can remove the nest opand install the equipment, but the birds will be back, and their presence can mess with the equipment, or leave you with delays at the next network upgrade. Sometimes regulations go too far to protect nature, but I don't believe this is one of those instances. The area has cell coverage already, so nobody is going to die because they can't get a cell signal to call for help. And I hardly think the inability to stream netflix is life threatening. I also doubt that this is having a huge impact on the market yet. The contractors will just work on the sites without birds until a solution is found.

it doesn't just go as far as being a nature loving hippie... Native species should not be messed with, if that causes interference then so be it. They will be on their way soon enough. If there's one thing I've learned recently its that nature shouldn't be messed with especially when they have found a way to coexist in our environment.

-Luis

• Like 2

They use COWs for that.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Yes but wouldn't it benefit those who aren't on or around the race track? They set the COW's up to cover the race tracks, they probably need the permanent towers to bring the COW's online kind of like building repeaters...

Yes but wouldn't it benefit those who aren't on or around the race track? They set the COW's up to cover the race tracks, they probably need the permanent towers to bring the COW's online kind of like building repeaters...

Tons of events this size happen around the US all the time and you don't see those markets getting the upgrades yet. There's only one event I can recall any cell phone carrier talking about their network upgrades and that's the Superbowl. The Olympics isn't scheduled for any US city that I know of either.

This is unacceptable.

I feel your pain, I have been getting about .05 mbps lately. A few months ago I was getting between 1.0 and 2.0 mbps, but now its just pitiful. Waiting to see if it improves by the end of the year; I signed my contract in June so I may have to pay the etf and go back to att.

This is unacceptable.

You have no choice but to accept it until Network Vision upgrades happen in your area. Or you can go to another carrier. It is what it is. Sprints 3G network is crumbling and they are doing the right thing to fix it. However, it will take some time to finish. Fortunately Miami is actively being worked on now.

Fortunately Miami is actively being worked on now.

This has made me really happy. Maybe it's just some pseudo-optimism but I feel like signal strength and Pings are getting better, speeds not so much... Maybe I just really want to believe that moving to Sprint was the right thing to do lmao...

-Luis

This is unacceptable.

Lol, as rd said you are getting good speeds! You are blazing fast! I wish I was kidding! :P

I feel your pain, I have been getting about .05 mbps lately. A few months ago I was getting between 1.0 and 2.0 mbps, but now its just pitiful. Waiting to see if it improves by the end of the year; I signed my contract in June so I may have to pay the etf and go back to att.

I sometimes get .05 Mbps but usually the test just times out or freezes and I can't get any result. I really hope they are working as I've been checking a lot of towers near me and nothing has been started as of yet that I can tell. I've been doing speed tests in many different areas and speeds are horrid all over. The fastest speeds I have gotten after about 100 tests in 50 locations is like 1Mbps and it was early morning when no one was on. :blush:

An Osprey is a large bird of prey. They are actually common in Florida. If memory serves, I believe it's the mascot of the University of North Florida. Sprint is claiming that a lot of their delays for NV is because of Osprey nesting. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444433504577650050132680794.html

This is a Verizon tower, but you can see a huge nest at the top. These pesky little birdies need to migrate already!

This is a Verizon tower, but you can see a huge nest at the top. These pesky little birdies need to migrate already!

I was actually curious to see when they would, but I read that Osprey's in southern states don't tend to migrate often because of year-round food supply. But I did read that Osprey's in Florida tend to migrate to South America. Sucks that I actually really like these birds, I've seen some at Lake Okeechobee swoop down into the lake and snatch up fish with no problem, but that they are the ones causing problems. Or so they say :P

-Luis

I live in Boca raton florida an the past few days u was having very slow dl speeds like .40 mbps compared to a average of 2.10 mbps an so I called sprint an they jus finished fixing the tower an I think she said they did a upgrade to improve speeds

I am going to pass by the tower that the video was taken to see if they finished it. Last time I went by 2 weeks after the video was posted, the 3rd set of panels was missing. I think it's two now since the last check.