Network Vision/LTE - Miami/West Palm Market

Mondays In Flames

Its strange that they would use a crane on existing site' date=' I wonder if its a new site for Sprint were they at the very top?[/quote']

This is very common when they are lifting panels and radios up. You don't want to do that with a cherry picker in most situations.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

This is very common when they are lifting panels and radios up. You don't want to do that with a cherry picker in most situations.

Agreed, the panels are definitely alot bigger than they appear from the ground.

I don't doubt that the panels are large, and I hate to come off like a know it all but when I used to do installs the only time we had a crane was for a brand new tower/shelter (self supporting tower we would assemble 3 or 4 sections on the ground and then raise each individually and tighten in the air, on monopoles each section was raised and put in place) Cranes are insanely expensive and inconvient, its per hour in most cases and they can only travel on the road during day light hours. So if a crane is onsite its usually there for a couple of days and you are paying for the crane to be there if being used or not. On top of that the person operating the crane is being paid too It would make sense that a crane was there if they were putting a nest at the very top but I can't tell from the pic. In most cases though for a exsiting tower a couple of blocks, tackels, slings, ropes. someone that knows how to tie a bowline, and a winch line is more than enough to complete a install

• Like 1

I have worked in the construction industry for 20 years and I have watched year after year the threshold for what you would use a crane for go down every year. Now everyone wants a crane for everything.

Also, NV panels are a lot larger/heavier than the old PCS panels. And those RRU's appear to be pretty heavy too. So, from a safety/risk management perspective, cranes are probably the way to go.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

I have worked in the construction industry for 20 years and I have watched year after year the threshold for what you would use a crane for go down every year. Now everyone wants a crane for everything. Also, NV panels are a lot larger/heavier than the old PCS panels. And those RRU's appear to be pretty heavy too. So, from a safety/risk management perspective, cranes are probably the way to go. Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner
I would in this case respectably disagree. I'm going to make just 2 assumptions here its an important one but ultimately I dont thinkk it would make that much of a difference. I will assume that the mounts that Sprint has on existing tower (the mounts being the steel that actually ataches to the tower) are going to be used with the new panels and RRU's, it might not be the case because if the panels and RRUs are considerably heavier than the previous ones then the existing mounts may not be rated properly for the additional weight. For this conversation lets say that is the case though and the only thing being raised is panels and RRU's. I have no idea what the weight is of the panels but lets go totally crazy (and to make the math easy) and say each is 200lbs being raised. With a single pulley and a rope and a single person you would have to pull with 200lbs to get the panel to move into the air. With a block and tackle rigged at the top of the tower and the bottom of the tower though you can effectivley cut that in half. Most tower companies have a winch that they have on a trailer they carry with them making this task even easier. I'm not saying that they are not using a crane at sites, but what I am saying it is less common than you might think and in most cases cost prohibitive. To have a crane on site per day is in the range of $1000 - $3000, in Florida you can't drive them after dusk or something silly like that, which means if you have 2 sectors done at 4pm, and another sector left you may be able to hang the last but than crane is going to be on site for another day because he aint driving no where after dusk. In a lot of places getting a crane in is just not something you can do logistically. Lastly, depending on the site you might have to break down the crane at least one time to get the other sectors up in the air especially with a monopole site. Cabinets and shelters don't make using a crane that easy.

What happened to the pic? I have been checking all the towers near me and none have been worked on. :(

Also hey Robert do you have an ETA on Spetembers NV forum post and article? Thanks. :)

I'm going to do an analysis in the next week of sites completed last month. If the new map is just polluted with past due sites, I may not do a September map. It will be pointless.

I'm going to do an analysis in the next week of sites completed last month. If the new map is just polluted with past due sites, I may not do a September map. It will be pointless.

I'm really hoping that it's not polluted. I love your maps, they keep me holding on to the hope that I might get LTE soon

:D

-Luis

If Sprint is falling behind that much then they have bigger problems, lol. I love your maps.

I suggest that it is not pointless to report the facts on the ground if that is the story. If there are more past due sites, I think that should be published on the monthly schedule maps. S4GRU is not just about good news, it is about facts and fact-based analysis. And this site is uniquely situated to be able to compare actual project performance with scheduled performance.

• Like 4

I'm sorry I've been working like crazy and my 8 month old daughter got sick for the first time ill try my best to take it soon

iTz Young Amazed

No problem bro take your time and take care or your daughter. I hope she feels better. :) I would drive there but it's quite a distance from Central Broward. I have been checking my towers like crazy to see if any work is being done but nada.

No problem bro take your time and take care or your daughter. I hope she feels better. :) I would drive there but it's quite a distance from Central Broward. I have been checking my towers like crazy to see if any work is being done but nada.

I wish I could find the towers near my house, but every time I use OpenSignal it crashes after a while, and never points me in the right direction D:

So Sad.

-Luis

I wish I could find the towers near my house, but every time I use OpenSignal it crashes after a while, and never points me in the right direction D:

Open Signal won't do that job. Period.

If you want to know the precise location of Sprint towers, S4GRU has all of them mapped precisely. You just need to become a sponsor.

• Like 1

Open Signal won't do that job. Period.

If you want to know the precise location of Sprint towers, S4GRU has all of them mapped precisely. You just need to become a sponsor.

Sadly, I don't have a lot of money lolololol

I would love to be a sponsor since this website is so informational :D

-Luis

So Sad.

-Luis

Go to https://network.sprint.com/ and put in your zip code or city and you will find most towers. In my area almost every tower is shown. Enjoy,

5th

Go to https://network.sprint.com/ and put in your zip code or city and you will find most towers. In my area almost every tower is shown. Enjoy,

5th

No,,you will not find most towers, only the small subset that Sprint has scheduled for band-aid maintentance work. These are a small fraction of Sprint's towers overall. If you want to see all the towers, you need the sponsor-level maps at S4GRU.

Lol thank u well I know the sprint store is right across the street from my house and they said that the tower not active Is yet and that there are done working on it so hopefully soon we'll see what are phone is made of

iTz Young Amazed

The tower that amazing1988 posted behind the publix is located exactly here.. 25.576609, -80.336532 it's litterally behind the building against it.

Maybe tomorrow I'll pass by since I live close by.

I know the one previous with the video of the guys installing panels it wasn't done a 2-3 weeks ago since one of the sides didn't have panels. The weather here sucks during this time of the season so I am sure for safety reasons things are being slowed down.

http://imgur.com/a/Xq1PJ

Here are the photos.. the one with the power lines are the one from the video.. Still missing that 3rd panel after all this time.

And the other one which is a closer shot is the one from the publix..I don't think they started LTE on it

I rapid shot most of the photos.

• 2 weeks later...

So this topic has been dead for a while. But I just wanted to say that I've been seeing better signal, especially around where I work. It's probably started happening this week probably where in the parking garage I'll get full bars, whereas before I would only get maybe 2-3 bars.

-Luis