New York City Faster Speeds

Paynefanbro

Earlier today while driving from Downstate Medical center with my Aunt in Brooklyn I saw some network vision equipment at the top of an apartment building. I didn't get a chance to take a picture. I ran one speed test and it shot up to 2Mbps+! But as soon as I drove in pulled up and there another building blocking the tower it dropped to 1.6 Mbps. :(

Ran a few speed tests around 57th and Broadway on Sunday and topped out a 1.16 Mbps down and 0.89 up. I honestly have no idea if that has anything to do with Vision or not; 3G speeds even in areas with the strongest coverage can be pretty variable from one day to the next. I did notice that speeds dropped off sharply as I traveled west on 55th st.

I've not as of yet noted any change in Morningside Heights. Speed tests run on Sunday morning produced between 0.12 and 0.23 down and between 0.12 and 0.14 up with very high pings.

This is from Washington Heights just now. Varies minute to minute. The one from yesterday was near Flatiron building. 1.10

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Not all that great considering the fast speeds were done at 3AM.

Notice how slow the 7PM result it

Yeah night speeds around here are always better. These were my tests today. Notice some uploads are faster then downloads. So yeah not sure nyc is any faster. Yet.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1345065866669.jpg

honestly, (most of) your figures are blazing fast compared to what I can pull routinely down here.  the better speeds shown in your 3G tests are pretty much identical to what I get when connected to 4G in this neighborhood.

Edited by Morningside78

honestly, (most of) your figures are blazing fast compared to what I can pull routinely down here. the better speeds shown in your 3G tests are pretty much identical to what I get when connected to 4G in this neighborhood.

Where are you from because when I was on WiMax in my area, I would get up to 16Mbps. Ookla's speedtest.net app does not work well with WiMax. I recommend going to speakeasy.net/speedtest to test your WiMax speed. I found out about this because in comparing my friends LTE speed to mine in a download test, we loaded the app at the same time although his was reading 13Mbps and mine was reading 6Mbps.

Edited by Paynefanbro

Where are you from because when I was on WiMax in my area' date=' I would get up to 16Mbps. Ookla's speedtest.net app does not work well with WiMax. I recommend going to speakeasy.net/speedtest to test your WiMax speed. I found out about this because in comparing my friends LTE speed to mine in a download test, we loaded the app at the same time although his was reading 13Mbps and mine was reading 6Mbps.[/quote']

Speedtest.net works great, if you know that you're supposed to change servers yourself to find the ideal server for your unique traceroute. Auto server selection rarely produces ideal results

For instance, I live in Northern New Mexico. Most speed testers will auto select for my devices to use servers in Albuquerque. But these do not provide the fastest results based on where my device data hits the internet.

If I am using Sprint 3G in my area, I use a server in Ft. Worth, TX for my speed tests. When I use WiMax, I use a server in Denver, CO. When I use Verizon 3G, I use a server in Wichita, KS and when I use Verizon LTE, I use a server in LA.

Each one of those networks uses a different route to the internet, so using the same server to measure their speed will not produce the most accurate result. It was quite time consuming to go through all the different servers to find the one that consistently provided the best test information for each network. But for me, accuracy is very important.

I have noticed if I change markets, I usually have to find new speed test servers, because the ones I typically use are not likely ideal anywhere else. If Speakeasy is more accurate for you, it is just because the server it is using was ideal for the WiMax network in your area and where it is located on the internet backbone. I'm certain you would find speedtest.net results would be similar if you could select a server in the same location. I can tell you that Speakeasy has not produced accurate results for me. All speed tests are dependent on the server you are connected to. There is no issue with Speedtest app and WiMax.

The best speed tester out there that auto selects servers is Root Metrics, in my opinion. Root Metrics searches for ideal servers based on information it knows about each network provider and your immediate geographical location. I will use Root Metrics to find the best speed possible, and then search on speedtest.net for the server that best replicates that maximum speed. Then I know the best server for the network I am connected to.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 7

honestly, (most of) your figures are blazing fast compared to what I can pull routinely down here. the better speeds shown in your 3G tests are pretty much identical to what I get when connected to 4G in this neighborhood.

wow wimax is that slow in the city? damn i dont spend that much time in morningside heights anymore, but i never knew it was that bad down there. probably just gonna get worse once school starts. unless we get some lte love before then that is.

Two more speed tests using Root Metrics App.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jigzcqrty5cjiaj/Screenshot_2012-08-17-19-03-14.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ncaeezg48kx2t/Screenshot_2012-08-17-19-00-03.png

From these, you can see that my speeds are relatively high although my signal is not that high.

Edited by Paynefanbro
  • Like 1

What I really like about Root Metrics is that it shows how goodhyour results are based in your type of network. It is showing 1.4Mbps in the green zone whereas if I were on HSPA+ I would probably be in the red zone orange zone.

<p>

Where are you from because when I was on WiMax in my area, I would get up to 16Mbps. Ookla's speedtest.net app does not work well with WiMax. I recommend going to speakeasy.net/speedtest to test your WiMax speed. I found out  about this because in comparing my friends LTE speed to mine in a download test, we loaded the app at the same time although his was reading 13Mbps and mine was reading 6Mbps.

16 Mbps on WiMax in Brooklyn? Sorry, but I'm not buying that. The fastest WiMax in the city is somewhere around around 8 Mbps and in Brooklyn it's generally nowhere near that. And the app works fine if you use it the right way.

<p>

16 Mbps on WiMax in Brooklyn? Sorry, but I'm not buying that. The fastest WiMax in the city is somewhere around around 8 Mbps and in Brooklyn it's generally nowhere near that. And the app works fine if you use it the right way.

Go on the B46 towards Kings Plaza and run speed tests when you reach Avenues J,K and L. Around here you will get at least 10Mbps. It is the only area in Brooklyn where I have received speeds that fast. My uploads stop at about 1.5Mbps though.

<p>

I believe it... 16mbit seems to be about the max clearwire's wimax will do from my personal experience.

I believe it... 16mbit seems to be about the max clearwire's wimax will do from my personal experience.

understood but I'm not really referring to the capabilities of WiMax but to the kind of speeds I've seen in the last several years here.  overall, speeds in Brooklyn are nowhere near the speeds in Manhattan, and the speeds in Manhattan don't come particularly close to 16 Mbps either.  it seems very strange that the area of Brooklyn he's referring to (Flatlands) would have WiMax service that strong.

Edited by Morningside78

You guys are getting hung up as if his results need to be over a whole borough or the whole city. In reality, if he is getting performance like that it is likely isolated to a specific site. He likely has a strong signal, the site is under burdened and has fantastic backhaul. But it is possible.

Most WiMax sites speeds are limited because of backhaul, not because of the air link. The WiMax Protection Site here in Santa Fe is AAV and maxes out at 10Mbps. However, some WiMax sites that feed multiple sites with microwave can have a fiber or high speed AAV link. You find one of these that is under burdened and you will likely hit the max speeds around 16Mbps.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 1

You guys are getting hung up as if his results need to be over a whole borough or the whole city. In reality, if he is getting performance like that it is likely isolated to a specific site. He likely has a strong signal, the site is under burdened and has fantastic backhaul. But it is possible.

Most WiMax sites speeds are limited because of backhaul, not because of the air link. The WiMax Protection Site here in Santa Fe is AAV and maxes out at 10Mbps. However, some WiMax sites that feed multiple sites with microwave can have a fiber or high speed AAV link. You find one of these that is under burdened and you will likely hit the max speeds around 16Mbps.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

I know this probably is a question for the other forum, but when clearwire starts to deploy its new LTE network, will they be bringing advanced backhaul to their sites, and if so, will wimax benefit?

I know this probably is a question for the other forum, but when clearwire starts to deploy its new LTE network, will they be bringing advanced backhaul to their sites, and if so, will wimax benefit?

Good question. Clearwire will have to really beef up its backhaul for 20MHz TD-LTE. It is barely sufficient for 10MHz WiMax in many places. It is likely they will hook up existing WiMax to the new backhaul as well. It doesn't make sense to have two backhaul solutions at each site. It is likely that WiMax performance will measurably increase when improved backhaul arrives with LTE (so long as the carriers are not overburdened at the site). However, WiMax speeds should max out around 16Mbps, even with 1Gbps backhaul.

Also note that Protection Sites will likely not receive LTE upgrades, nor increased backhaul until sometime after WiMax is decommissioned after 2015.

Robert

• Like 1

Good question. Clearwire will have to really beef up its backhaul for 20MHz TD-LTE. It is barely sufficient for 10MHz WiMax in many places. It is likely they will hook up existing WiMax to the new backhaul as well. It doesn't make sense to have two backhaul solutions at each site. It is likely that WiMax performance will measurably increase when improved backhaul arrives with LTE (so long as the carriers are not overburdened at the site). However, WiMax speeds should max out around 16Mbps, even with 1Gbps backhaul.

Also note that Protection Sites will likely not receive LTE upgrades, nor increased backhaul until sometime after WiMax is decommissioned after 2015.

Robert

Thanks, That sounds like it would be great for those with legacy devices, and help clearwire maintain those customers while they transition to their new LTE network. Plus 16MB/s is really good, I know that that would be only with full signal under perfect loading conditions, but the normal speeds should be plenty fast enough for the decreasing number of people on that network. As someone that is in a current WiMax market, and not going to get LTE until round 3, this is good news that my speeds could see an increase before I switch phones.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...