Sprint Image Quality Reduction on Web Pages

4ginnc

I've been noticing recently an annoying alternate text on every image on all web pages I've been loading lately. I was thinking it was Chrome since that was the browser I use almost all the time but after a quick Google search I found this;

http://ralf.schaeftlein.de/2009/07/30/get-rid-of-annoying-shift-r-and-shift-a-hints-on-images/

Seems like Sprint is doing this as well, reducing image quality on web pages and replacing the alt-text when you're using their network.

Has anyone been seeing this in the last few weeks? I haven't seen any announcements from Sprint, but I guess it's just something they've turned on in their network.

I've been noticing recently an annoying alternate text on every image on all web pages I've been loading lately. I was thinking it was Chrome since that was the browser I use almost all the time but after a quick Google search I found this;

http://ralf.schaeftlein.de/2009/07/30/get-rid-of-annoying-shift-r-and-shift-a-hints-on-images/

Seems like Sprint is doing this as well' date=' reducing image quality on web pages and replacing the alt-text when you're using their network.

Has anyone been seeing this in the last few weeks? I haven't seen any announcements from Sprint, but I guess it's just something they've turned on in their network.[/quote']

I sure haven't seen that at all yet.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Of course, now that I have this AT&T hotspot too I can confirm that it's not Chrome. When I'm on the AT&T hotspot I don't get that alt-text, but back on my Sprint 3G card I do.

Guess when you don't get unlimited data they want you to use as much as possible. :):wacko:

Of course, now that I have this AT&T hotspot too I can confirm that it's not Chrome. When I'm on the AT&T hotspot I don't get that alt-text, but back on my Sprint 3G card I do.

Guess when you don't get unlimited data they want you to use as much as possible. :):wacko:

Can it be the DNS Server?

Can it be the DNS Server?

No, DNS wouldn't do that it just does name resolution. I did, however find this on Sprint's end user agreement at http://www.sprint.co.../agreement.html

Edit: Last paragraph is key.

Does Sprint employ any type of data compression or optimization on the Sprint network today?

Yes, Sprint deploys Network Optimization capabilities for video and web traffic on the Sprint Wireless Network. Intent is to improve overall user experience and increase network efficiency. Optimization improves page load times and reduces video stalling. The optimization technology eliminates wasted data transmission that results from lack of coordination between applications, network, and device, for example stopping transmission of video after a customer has stopped viewing it. It also matches media transmission quality to the capability of the device viewing the media. Optimization reduces network data tonnage, freeing up capacity for an overall better network experience for all Sprint customers.

What specific types of optimization does Sprint employ?

Optimization is deployed for RTSP and HTTP video traffic and all HTTP web traffic. Video optimization uses four basic technologies:

• Video Delivery Synchronization: Delivers video "just in time" to the mobile device. Intent is to eliminate network waste associated with transmitting video that isn't watched.
  • Quality aware Transcoding: Matches video quality with network conditions in real time. Optimizes video for the bandwidth available to the user. Intent is to minimize or eliminate annoying video stalling. Similar in concept to the optimization techniques already employed by sites using adaptive streaming.
  • Video Transcoding: Transcodes video with intent to optimize the video experience for the user while efficiently using network bandwidth. Eliminates video waste using techniques like replacing less efficient video codecs with more efficient ones. Optimizes video for the device the customer is using.
  • Intelligent Caching: Caches optimized video in the network to eliminate delay associated with internet video sites.

Web optimization uses three basic technologies:

• Caching: Caches web pages to avoid delays associated with retrieval of the same internet content multiple times.
  • Text/Binary compression: Lossless compression of data and binary files using standard compression techniques supported by HTTP-compliant browsers.
  • Image Compression: JPEG and GIF compression designed to reduce the size of images while maintaining no user perceptible loss of quality.

So I guess that explains it.

Have you tried removing the proxy from the device?

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Not sure how I would do that. It's a Sprint USB card that I have plugged into a wireless router so I'm not using the Sprint SmarView software to connect to the network.

Isn't this all happening inside the Sprint network anyway?

Have you tried removing the proxy from the device?

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

It has nothing to do with the proxy, as I have it removed on my end and get the same thing.

I just got this to happen to me last night for the little bit i tethered on my phone. I think it's smart to help reduce strain on network resources especially in areas where data service is crappy.

I just got this to happen to me last night for the little bit i tethered on my phone. I think it's smart to help reduce strain on network resources especially in areas where data service is crappy.

I tend to agree now that I understand why/how it's happening. Especially when Sprint is still trying to provide unlimited data to mobile users it can help improve the experience of all users. The replacement of the alt-text on the images is a little annoying but nothing I can't live with. I wish AT&T would do something similar to save me usage on the data that I pay for.