Network Vision/LTE - Baltimore Market (including Annapolis/East Shore)

lequonrobinson

Seeing my first 4G signals in Severna Park. Obviously, there is some tweaking to do as the upload speeds are horrible. I hope this isn't the cap on download - if so, it sucks as Verizon is 3 times the download speeds in this are.

Sprint%204G.png

Seeing my first 4G signals in Severna Park. Obviously, there is some tweaking to do as the upload speeds are horrible. I hope this isn't the cap on download - if so, it sucks as Verizon is 3 times the download speeds in this are.

You are witnessing the birth of a new network, dont be so quick to judge. From other posters, you cansee that with full bars you could see 15-25Mb/s download, which is great speed... there are less than 50% of the towers complete, so as more come online in your area, you will notice more complete coverage and with better signal comes better speed. I know it will be difficult, but be patient, your getting LTE before most of us.

You are witnessing the birth of a new network, dont be so quick to judge. From other posters, you cansee that with full bars you could see 15-25Mb/s download, which is great speed... there are less than 50% of the towers complete, so as more come online in your area, you will notice more complete coverage and with better signal comes better speed. I know it will be difficult, but be patient, your getting LTE before most of us.

I do understand this and am being patient. Frustrated with the crap 3G I'm getting between Dulles Airport in VA and the Annapolis, MD area. I chose to be at the front of new technology so I know what goes with it. Just hopeful that the speeds compete with Verizon as I've seen what they can do and am very impressed with their coverage.

I do understand this and am being patient. Frustrated with the crap 3G I'm getting between Dulles Airport in VA and the Annapolis' date=' MD area. I chose to be at the front of new technology so I know what goes with it. Just hopeful that the speeds compete with Verizon as I've seen what they can do and am very impressed with their coverage.[/quote']

Those are not typical Sprint LTE upload speeds. Even here when Verizon LTE first came live, I was getting 4-5Mbps download and 15-20Mbps upload. However, by the time of formal launch, everything was as it was supposed to be.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Those are not typical Sprint LTE upload speeds. Even here when Verizon LTE first came live, I was getting 4-5Mbps download and 15-20Mbps upload. However, by the time of formal launch, everything was as it was supposed to be.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Ok, so, with humility I post a new update. I ventured around a bit and was getting some freakin' stellar speeds - speeds that I expected with LTE. Now, I do understand that I am probably one of only a few utilizing LTE in the area but if these speeds are consistent (or close) I will be an extremely happy person. As a caveat, this is not my home area but an area I'm in frequently. I CANNOT wait to see LTE start popping in Northern Virginia now. After just a handful of hours with LTE I'm spoiled rotten :)

Sprint%204Ga.png

• Like 1

Can I get a little help? I've been digging around a bit today trying to locate towers, etc. I assumed that the LTE I was receiving was from a tower marked on Jumpers Hole (Severna Park, MD). I was not getting any 4G signal while standing directly underneath it the evening. However, there was a lot of construction gear there and cables, etc laying around so I'm assuming this is an active build site.

So, where am I getting 4G from? I installed Netmonitor and am showing a tower location that is not outlined on any of the maps here. So, is the app incorrect or have I located a new tower? Also, I'll admit that I can't figure out how to cross-reference the info in the interactive maps here with what I'm seeing in Netmonitor. Screenshots below and any guidance/ info appreciated.

This site is what shows when I do connect to 4G (signal bounces quite a bit at this point between 3G and 4g)

Screenshot_2012-08-25-21-42-44.png

This address is what shows for the tower - no corresponding info in the maps I've seen here though.

Screenshot_2012-08-25-21-42-54.png

Specifics on that tower

Screenshot_2012-08-25-21-42-59.png

Can I get a little help? I've been digging around a bit today trying to locate towers, etc. I assumed that the LTE I was receiving was from a tower marked on Jumpers Hole (Severna Park, MD). I was not getting any 4G signal while standing directly underneath it the evening. However, there was a lot of construction gear there and cables, etc laying around so I'm assuming this is an active build site.

So, where am I getting 4G from? I installed Netmonitor and am showing a tower location that is not outlined on any of the maps here. So, is the app incorrect or have I located a new tower? Also, I'll admit that I can't figure out how to cross-reference the info in the interactive maps here with what I'm seeing in Netmonitor. Screenshots below and any guidance/ info appreciated.

This site is what shows when I do connect to 4G (signal bounces quite a bit at this point between 3G and 4g)

First, undestand that no app, including Netmonitor, can map LTE towers directly. Your Netmonitor screenshots are mapping the coordinates broadcast by CDMA towers, which may not have LTE signals at all, or may not be on the same tower that your LTE signal is coming from. (Eventually, all CDMA towers will have LTE, but that doesn't mean this app can map it for you.)

Second, the reason you can't correlate those sites to the S4GRU maps (assuming you are looking at the complete map for the area) is likely because the coordinates squawked by the CDMA may not be the actual coordinates of the towers but rather offsets for each sector of the cell some distance away. See this thread in the Sponsor forum:

CDMA towers that squawk the wrong coordinates

This address is what shows for the tower - no corresponding info in the maps I've seen here though.

Specifics on that tower

I just received an update of completed sites from Sprint, and it includes the site off Jumpers Hole. It's on top of a water tower at 39.08386 -76.58459. It says 4G is live there. Sometimes, water tower panels are so far out from the sides that you don't get much of a signal underneath them. If you drive away a few blocks and the signal gets stronger in all directions, then this is the site. That site 723 above is not a Sprint site where it is showing. It probably is connected to the Jumpers Hole site, but NetMonitor is not accurate.

Robert

I just received an update of completed sites from Sprint, and it includes the site off Jumpers Hole. It's on top of a water tower at 39.08386 -76.58459. It says 4G is live there. Sometimes, water tower panels are so far out from the sides that you don't get much of a signal underneath them. If you drive away a few blocks and the signal gets stronger in all directions, then this is the site. That site 723 above is not a Sprint site where it is showing. It probably is connected to the Jumpers Hole site, but NetMonitor is not accurate.

Robert

Thanks Robert. I was literally standing under it several hours ago. It was almost dark so I couldn't see much. The earlier speed tests I show above are from a parking lot right next to the location from this afternoon.

You say it is a completed site. Does this mean all work is complete on the site now and it is fully operational? I ask because I'm getting a lot of switching between 3G and 4G from a hair over a half mile from the tower (line of sight). My downloads (LTE) are around 3-5 Mbps and uploads are terrible (typically less than 1 Mbps). Is there still tweaking/ testing/ something or is this the best I can expect?

If it is helpful at all I can take some pictures tomorrow of the tower and below.

Thanks Robert. I was literally standing under it several hours ago. It was almost dark so I couldn't see much. The earlier speed tests I show above are from a parking lot right next to the location from this afternoon.

You say it is a completed site. Does this mean all work is complete on the site now and it is fully operational? I ask because I'm getting a lot of switching between 3G and 4G from a hair over a half mile from the tower (line of sight). My downloads (LTE) are around 3-5 Mbps and uploads are terrible (typically less than 1 Mbps). Is there still tweaking/ testing/ something or is this the best I can expect?

If it is helpful at all I can take some pictures tomorrow of the tower and below.

I shouldn't say complete. I should say that Sprint has inspected and accepted the work that the OEM has completed. It showed up in this week's update. If you get a chance to take some pics and can post them, that would be great. Thanks!

Robert

I took a walk around the Jumpers Hole location and got some pictures today. It appears that not all work is complete at this site (see photos). I will also say that acquiring a 4G signal was spotty at best from the parking lot nearby. I also noticed that speeds were significantly less today than yesterday. I would burst to 15-20 Mbps and then promptly fall to 1-2 Mbps. I did have further success with speeds in the 10-20 Mbps range after a number of attempts. Based on what I could see on the ground it does not appear that all sides are active yet (see photo with bare cables on the ground). Hope this is helpful to those interested.

IMAG0001.jpgIMAG0002%20(10).jpgIMAG0002%20(11).jpgIMAG0002%20(12).jpgIMAG0002%20(13).jpgIMAG0002%20(2).jpgIMAG0002%20(3).jpgIMAG0002%20(4).jpgIMAG0002%20(5).jpgIMAG0002%20(6).jpgIMAG0002%20(7).jpgIMAG0002%20(8).jpgIMAG0002%20(9).jpgIMAG0002.jpgIMAG0013_COVER.jpgIMAG0503.jpgIMAG0504.jpgIMAG0505.jpgIMAG0506.jpgIMAG0507.jpg

• Like 1

Are we certain that DC25XC06 is a Sprint tower in Maryland? I have been to this tower (not in the past month though) and it is clearly plastered with Verizon all over it. Just a bit confused.

That is not a valid site number. You are missing a digit.

Robert

Sorry, truncated it. The correct number is DC25XC064

I checked all the Sprint site databases I have access to, and that site appears in all of them. Including the Sprint Network Vision schedules. Which show this site as past due.

Robert

I checked all the Sprint site databases I have access to, and that site appears in all of them. Including the Sprint Network Vision schedules. Which show this site as past due.

Robert

Could this be a shared site with Verizon then? The last time I was at that tower - about a month or so ago - it was only labeled with Verizon identifiers.

Could this be a shared site with Verizon then? The last time I was at that tower - about a month or so ago - it was only labeled with Verizon identifiers.

More than 50% of Sprint sites are co-located with another carrier. Nothing unusual about that.

Robert

More than 50% of Sprint sites are co-located with another carrier. Nothing unusual about that.

Robert

I knew there was a lot of co-location out there but hadn't seen any identifiers other than Verizon at that site. I'll check it out again when I'm in that area.

I knew there was a lot of co-location out there but hadn't seen any identifiers other than Verizon at that site. I'll check it out again when I'm in that area.

I live next to a Sprint site, and there are no locators on there identifying Sprint. In my observations, only about half of Sprint sites have any type of identification placards. And in some former affiliate markets, there aren't any at all.

Robert

I live next to a Sprint site, and there are no locators on there identifying Sprint. In my observations, only about half of Sprint sites have any type of identification placards. And in some former affiliate markets, there aren't any at all.

Robert

Interesting. I assumed there would be identifiers for each respective carrier's equipment. Good info to know.