Network Vision/LTE - Baltimore Market (including Annapolis/East Shore)

lequonrobinson

Glad to hear someone is actually seeing some LTE towers in the Baltimore market. I'm beginning to get frustrated with my Sprint service. The 3G has gotten so crappy in MD over the last year it is downright unusable.

I live within a mile of a tower due to be turned on any day now and am vacationing at the beach within 1-2 miles of two towers due to be switched on. Nada.

I'll stay with Sprint as long as they keep the unlimited data, but they seriously need to up their game.

Glad to hear someone is actually seeing some LTE towers in the Baltimore market. I'm beginning to get frustrated with my Sprint service. The 3G has gotten so crappy in MD over the last year it is downright unusable.

I live within a mile of a tower due to be turned on any day now and am vacationing at the beach within 1-2 miles of two towers due to be switched on. Nada.

I'll stay with Sprint as long as they keep the unlimited data, but they seriously need to up their game.

It's sort of a catch 22. I've seen the same thing in Boston. Speeds in Boston took a very sharp dive right as network vision comes in. If you think about it, does it really make sense to spend big bucks on legacy equipment right before you replace all of it? It's like saying I want to put new tires, brakes, and overhaul the engine and transmission on my 1998 Honda Civic right before I go out and buy a brand new BMW and toss the Civic to the dump.

While it sucks for now, short term pain for long term gain.

If your are only "beginning to get frustrated" you should make it to the rollout. The great part of this forum is the tone. Try to keep things upbeat. Some guys have put an incredible amount of effort into keeping us:rolleyes::rolleyes: the sprint customers informed. I get frustrated but it probably demotivates everyone posting it. Use that thumb muscle to toggle from cdma to LTE. Find us some LTE!

I understand you may be frustrated with your data speeds but, why would you expect to get LTE in a market that has yet to launch?

It makes a huge difference if you are streaming anything and multi-tasking other apps, etc. I've been with Sprint over 13 years and won't be going anywhere. SERO is far too good to give up. Still, the 3G speeds I'm getting right now on the EVO LTE are horrible in most places. I've seen LTE speeds of 20+ consistently in some areas with Verizon. Seems Sprint continually falls short of everyone else.

I would agree unlimited data is huge. I suppose we'll just have to see how it all works out in the end. I'm in the DC market but venture into Baltimore market frequently so I'm anxiously awaiting some real life experiences soon.

I'd like to know what device can multi-task streaming, and what application would do so.

I would take a consistent 6-8mbps over any burstable speed always, so that's what I'm hoping gets delivered.

I'd like to know what device can multi-task streaming, and what application would do so.

I would take a consistent 6-8mbps over any burstable speed always, so that's what I'm hoping gets delivered.

I often stream, XM or iheartradio. I've seen severe hiccups with lower bandwidth.Couple that with remote video monitoring, etc and you get lags.

Does Sprint usually announce when they turn a LTE system on in a market? Granted I know SG4RU will probably be a buzz before an official announcement.

Only at market launch. In previous market launches they blocked LTE at completed sites until the market launched. So far, it doesn't seem they are blocking completed sites in Chicago, Boston and Baltimore. :fingers:

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

I often stream, XM or iheartradio. I've seen severe hiccups with lower bandwidth.Couple that with remote video monitoring, etc and you get lags.

You stream XM, etc. while doing remote video monitoring? On what device?

You stream XM, etc. while doing remote video monitoring? On what device?

EVO LTE 4G.

Uploading concert videos over 3G was atrocious. My friend on Verizon was getting 20MB/15MB consistently with LTE and made me quite jealous.

Ah yes, no doubt about that.

Can't really compare 3G to 4G though...reality will be consistent speeds, and that will have to do.

Agreed that 3G and 4G can't be compared. But, Verizon speeds are off the hook. From what I'm reading, Sprint won't be anywhere close to what I've seen on many Verizon devices. And the Verizon speeds have been consistently the same across a wide area. I'm hoping Sprint is at least close. I won't leave Sprint but Verizon's speeds make it very tempting.

Agreed that 3G and 4G can't be compared. But, Verizon speeds are off the hook. From what I'm reading, Sprint won't be anywhere close to what I've seen on many Verizon devices. And the Verizon speeds have been consistently the same across a wide area. I'm hoping Sprint is at least close. I won't leave Sprint but Verizon's speeds make it very tempting.

Verizon LTE in my area is mostly between 5Mbps and 10Mbps. I have only seen it hit 15Mbps once. Sprint will be able to compete with that just fine. People have a tendency to compare Verizon's peak performance to Sprint's LTE, not their every day performance.

Verizon is now in the position it is going to have to keep up with creating more LTE site density. The 700MHz coverage advantage will only take them so far. Now capacity is starting to strain the network in areas, site density is going to have to increase. Verizon is only starting to show life they are adding capacity with greater site density. However, Verizon will not add capacity to increase speeds back up to the maximum. But just likely to maintain their advertised speeds.

Robert

Verizon LTE in my area is mostly between 5Mbps and 10Mbps. I have only seen it hit 15Mbps once. Sprint will be able to compete with that just fine. People have a tendency to compare Verizon's peak performance to Sprint's LTE, not their every day performance.

Verizon is now in the position it is going to have to keep up with creating more LTE site density. The 700MHz coverage advantage will only take them so far. Now capacity is starting to strain the network in areas, site density is going to have to increase. Verizon is only starting to show life they are adding capacity with greater site density. However, Verizon will not add capacity to increase speeds back up to the maximum. But just likely to maintain their advertised speeds.

Robert

Robert

Our experiences are quite different then. I have seen Verizon perform at stellar speeds from south of Baltimore through the Bristow, VA area. Sprint service in my condo is horrible - the Airave provides some help. My friend's Verizon service was constantly 20+ there and almost always 15-20 everywhere else. Dulles airport area is spotty on all carriers for some reason.

As I said, I'm with Sprint for the long haul. Been a customer for over 13 years and SERO cannot be beaten. Would be nice to see consistent speeds on 3G right now and hoping for a good experience with LTE when it arrives.

Our experiences are quite different then. I have seen Verizon perform at stellar speeds from south of Baltimore through the Bristow, VA area. Sprint service in my condo is horrible - the Airave provides some help. My friend's Verizon service was constantly 20+ there and almost always 15-20 everywhere else. Dulles airport area is spotty on all carriers for some reason.

As I said, I'm with Sprint for the long haul. Been a customer for over 13 years and SERO cannot be beaten. Would be nice to see consistent speeds on 3G right now and hoping for a good experience with LTE when it arrives.

There is going to be a lot of variability in the Verizon network, just like there is going to be on the Sprint network. Here is my speedtest just now on Verizon LTE with a good -86dBm RSSI signal, using my Verizon Hotspot. My coworker just ran one on his Rezound for comparison. He got 6Mbps down and 4Mbps up. However, we are in a heavy usage area next to Los Alamos National Laboratory. But that's my point.

46c7c2d6-8e3b-1307.jpg

The difference between Sprint's post-NV speeds and Verizon for most users will not even be noticed. It will be like having a car that will do 120mph top speed and complaining because your friend's car will do 140mph.

That's for most users. Granted, if you are streaming Spotify and Pandora simultaneously while uploading footage of your kid's brit milah to Facebook you might need that extra oomph.