The Topic that must not be named: Sprint/Unlimited Data

Feech

So I'm curious what everyones opinion is. Since Sprint is building this totally kick ass network (hopefully) and will be able to compete with the Big 2 (hopefully) how long will it be before Sprint decides not to compete with unlimited data or prices any longer and do what everyone else is doing?

My thinking is that at some point it will be abandoned and right now they are competing with the unlimited data alone and pricing..thoughts?

So I'm curious what everyones opinion is. Since Sprint is building this totally kick ass network (hopefully) and will be able to compete with the Big 2 (hopefully) how long will it be before Sprint decides not to compete with unlimited data or prices any longer and do what everyone else is doing?

My thinking is that at some point it will be abandoned and right now they are competing with the unlimited data alone and pricing..thoughts?

I doubt that Sprint would abandon unlimited anytime in the foreseeable future. The feature is Sprint's most distinguishing advantage on the demand side.

On the supply side, unless there is rampant abuse there is really no threat to Sprint's overall bandwidth. There is some abuse today by unauthorized tethering, obviously. I would not be at all surprised to see Sprint crack down on that.

• Like 2

I think unlimited is not going anywhere anytime soon. I think two years from now is the earliest. It depends on how well they block unauthorized tethering, and how successful off loading data to Clearwire LTE works out, IMO.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Until NV is done and Sprint is back to being profitable, I can't see Unlimited going anywhere. It is the only big selling point over Big Red/Blue. Robert has many times described new network controls, I believe Sprint will nip unauthorized tethering in the bud for the abusers.

Sprint CEO has said in one of the press that they are not planning to rid of the unlimited anytime anytime soon. And Sprint's 4G LTE is pre-mature (will take at least 3 years to build their LTE network), so I think the earliest would be 2017 or 2018.

the better question would be, for how long will clearwire unlimited 4g plans last, and will they support unlimited lte once its rolled out.

the better question would be, for how long will clearwire unlimited 4g plans last, and will they support unlimited lte once its rolled out.

I think Sprint will buy clearwire once profitability returns and unlimited will stick around just as long as it is available on Sprint.

I'm thinking if they can't sustain unlimited, they'll go to a limited model but with reasonable per-GB charges. Which most people would be happy with, you wouldn't have to think too much about it, and it wouldn't be a bill-shock type thing.

The better question would be, when will unlimited data return on Sprint's competitors as a result of the mass exodus to Sprint's truly unlimited LTE network?

• Like 6

The better question would be, when will unlimited data return on Sprint's competitors as a result of the mass exodus to Sprint's truly unlimited LTE network?

Even if at&t gets the WCS spectrum, will they have have a big enough slice to go nationwide unlimited? I could see Verizon bringing in some unlimited plans, if there is a mass exodus of users.

If unlimited data was to return on the big two they would probably price it so high that most users wouldn't select it as a data option.

I think Sprint has to prove it can actually provide a consistent product before Verizon and AT&T would see a mass exodus. I have multiple friends who have bailed on Sprint after years of loyalty because their network data speeds are 1990s dial-up modem slow. One friend nearly talked me into buying an unlocked phone and getting a $60 /month plan on T-Mobile. I'm in a Sprint LTE phase one launch area, so I'm giving Sprint a chance. So far I've seen some impressive speeds, but only once in a place where it was useful. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Sent from my GS3 on Tapatalk 2

I think Sprint has to prove it can actually provide a consistent product before Verizon and AT&T would see a mass exodus. I have multiple friends who have bailed on Sprint after years of loyalty because their network data speeds are 1990s dial-up modem slow. One friend nearly talked me into buying an unlocked phone and getting a $60 /month plan on T-Mobile. I'm in a Sprint LTE phase one launch area, so I'm giving Sprint a chance. So far I've seen some impressive speeds, but only once in a place where it was useful. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I know quite a few people who are on other carriers who really want to jump to Sprint, they are just in wait-and-see mode. See what happens with Network Vision. I think there could be millions of likeminded people. Whether or not they will materialize for Sprint is largely dependent on Sprint's action the next 12-24 months.

Robert

• Like 2

I know quite a few people who are on other carriers who really want to jump to Sprint, they are just in wait-and-see mode. See what happens with Network Vision. I think there could be millions of likeminded people. Whether or not they will materialize for Sprint is largely dependent on Sprint's action the next 12-24 months.

Robert

Yes, I think Sprint has a great opportunity to improve marketshare if they deliver on Network Vision. I think once the first NV markets are completed, we'll start to see if perceptions of Sprint have improved.

• Like 1

Great comments. I think that if they can keep unlimited it is a game changer in the market. I think for most customers unlimited data isn't a issue because they never come close to using a substantial amount. Something else that could shake up the other carriers is free tethering or at least a option that makes sense financially

Great comments. I think that if they can keep unlimited it is a game changer in the market. I think for most customers unlimited data isn't a issue because they never come close to using a substantial amount. Something else that could shake up the other carriers is free tethering or at least a option that makes sense financially

I think throwing in 750mb of free 4G-only tethering would make most people very happy.

• Like 3

Sprint's draw is "simple" I think. The only way they could go to limited is if they kept it simple. With newer phones with precise and easy data monitoring it's not such a big deal anymore. There is a part of me though that feels my sister and my mother's phones should be charged less than mine and my father since we use a gig or more (I use 5 :secret: ) a month and they rarely use over 10MB. And on that note, how is premium data even premium anymore? Sprint sells like 3 non-smart phones and they're basically 3 year old hardware. I want a "non-premium" discount or a "responsible user" discount if I use a small amount of data. Though my wishes don't align well with concepts like profit margins.

It would be cool if there were Sprint WiFi spots like ATT does.

Limited free tethering would be sweet too.

Sprint CEO has said in one of the press that they are not planning to rid of the unlimited anytime anytime soon. And Sprint's 4G LTE is pre-mature (will take at least 3 years to build their LTE network), so I think the earliest would be 2017 or 2018.

As long as the big two has data caps sprint will have unlimited imho

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

I think throwing in 750mb of free 4G-only tethering would make most people very happy.

And what can I do with that amount lol I stream Netflix on wimax and avg about 200 mb Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

• 4 weeks later...

Unlimited is for, pardon the tired expression, the 1%. The 99% uses less than 2GB of bandwidth a month.

Unlimited is a marketing strategy more than a network strategy. I am the only person I know of that uses more than 2GB of bandwidth per month. Everyone else I know either is close to 1GB, or uses far less (less than 300MB).

Ubiquitous WiFi will ease strain on cellular networks, as will more efficient networks such as LTE. Within 2-4 years as more smartphone customers migrate to LTE networks, competition will force the big two to add more data for the same $, similarly to how a few years ago T-Mobile started My Favorites and everyone else had them. Sprint had any carrier any time and AT&T added it.

I doubt we'll ever see unlimited from the big 2 again; they've made it clear they hate unlimited. We will see what buys you 1GB today will buy you 5GB in 2-3 years. As LTE gets faster and widely deployed, mobile applications get more intensive, and everyone moves to smartphones data use will rise (even among the 99%) and customer demand will require raising caps, besides competition from T-Mobile and Sprint.

I may only use 2-3GB per month, but I appreciate unlimited data because I hate having to monitor and micro manage my usage. I also have a Verizon hotspot, and I constantly live in a state of paranoia about my usage with it. I don't like that anxiety and constant second guessing.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 4

Unlimited is for, pardon the tired expression, the 1%. The 99% uses less than 2GB of bandwidth a month.

As phones (and tablets) become more powerful and LTE expands, a lot more people will start (or want to start) using more multimedia, or larger/online/streaming games etc.

pardon this tired expression, but anyone using less than 2gb bandwidth a month is not really using their phone for much and probably does not even need a smartphone.

As phones (and tablets) become more powerful and LTE expands, a lot more people will start (or want to start) using more multimedia, or larger/online/streaming games etc.

pardon this tired expression, but anyone using less than 2gb bandwidth a month is not really using their phone for much and probably does not even need a smartphone.

False. Occasional web surfing, email, occasional photo sending and IM are what my mom and brother use their phones for. They are on the order of 300MB per month (though this is on a 3G-only phone with a 3.2 inch screen). At the other end of the spectrum there's me; I don't tether and I do my heaviest data usage on WiFi but I'll push through a gigabyte, maybe a bit more, per month on 3G. If I'm on a trip to somewhere that doesn't have WiFi, I ad tethering and both the tethered and on-phone usage goes way up...on-phone may surpass 2GB and tethered will be in the hundreds of MBs.

That's with LTE in the mix though...if my phone is in a 3G-only area I just use the 1GB plan on my iPad, which I upgraded to 5GB for a long trip. My usage over that month ended up somewhere in the 3.5GB range.

To be clear, I'm not at the *far* other end of the spectrum...while still remaining within Sprint's TOS. I don't stream Pandora for eight hours a day, followed by an episode or two of a TV show on Netflix, all while on 3G. On WiFi, sure. On LTE, maybe (but probably not, since I'll have WiFi availability).

tl;dr: WiFi offloading at home works. I can be a power user and still use under 2GB. But I'd love not to have that limitation. Hence my sticking with Sprint.

• Like 1