Sensorly LTE maps now up

Do you know where we can find the maps? Or is he going to post it somewhere soon?

I just looked at the Sensorly map website. There now are two selections under the drop-down menu, both labeled "Sprint 4G." They need to change those labels to distinguish between Wimax and LTE.

I tried them both. One had data mapped, which I presume to be Wimax. The other had none, which I presume to be LTE.

I just looked at the Sensorly map website. There now are two selections under the drop-down menu, both labeled "Sprint 4G." They need to change those labels to distinguish between Wimax and LTE.

I tried them both. One had data mapped, which I presume to be Wimax. The other had none, which I presume to be LTE.

I see. I got a chance to look at the coverage maps and it seems that the coverage map is not too accurate, but it is pretty useful.

Thanks.

I see. I got a chance to look at the coverage maps and it seems that the coverage map is not too accurate, but it is pretty useful.

Thanks.

Well, there couldn't be any decent LTE coverage map yet because it is too new. It would take some time to collect the crowd-sourced data. And right now, many of the handsets out there -- until they get remedial OTA updates like the recent LG8 version for the GS3 -- are not even equipped to harvest Sprint LTE connection data properly. So give it time.

I do note that Sensorly's Play Store site says this:

4G support is EXPERIMENTAL as it is not supported as extensively as 2G/3G in Android. See note at the bottom. ...

ABOUT 4G: As mentionned above, it's experimental. For most phones, we can't provide a signal level reading but we are finding work-arounds on some phones. Your milage my vary, please take this into account when rating the app. If you run into issues, email us and we'll work it out with you. What we do know:

Galaxy Nexus : should have signal level, detects 4G available, does not detect 4G unavailable

HTC Thunderbolt : no signal level, detects 4G available, does not detect 4G unavailable

Droid Bionic : should have signal level, detects 4G available, does not detect 4G unavailable

LG Revolution : should have signal level, detects 4G available, does not detect 4G unavailable

Droid Charge : no signal level, detects 4G available, does not detect 4G unavailable

From my own research, the Android API doesn't provide much detail about LTE connections, and what it does provide is not standardized. That is the reason for the "workarounds" mentioned in Sensorly's documentation above.

I haven't tried the Sensorly app yet. Do you know if it provides the user a local copy of the logged data it uploads to the mothership? That might be interesting. I have tried OpenSignal Maps for the purpose of logging LTE connections, but I thought its logged data was junk.

Well, there couldn't be any decent LTE coverage map yet because it is too new. It would take some time to collect the crowd-sourced data. And right now, many of the handsets out there -- until they get remedial OTA updates like the recent LG8 version for the GS3 -- are not even equipped to harvest Sprint LTE connection data properly. So give it time.

I do note that Sensorly's Play Store site says this:

From my own research, the Android API doesn't provide much detail about LTE connections, and what it does provide is not standardized. That is the reason for the "workarounds" mentioned in Sensorly's documentation above.

I haven't tried the Sensorly app yet. Do you know if it provides the user a local copy of the logged data it uploads to the mothership? That might be interesting. I have tried OpenSignal Maps for the purpose of logging LTE connections, but I thought its logged data was junk.

I have not used the Sensorly app yet, but I will give it a try when I get a chance. When I do I will let you know.

I've used sensory off and on since the original evo 4g came out, its an ok app but there is no local logging that you can access, at least nothing indicated as such from the app.

The maps are essentially the breadcrumb area trails that are uploaded as people drive around with active/background scans going. I plotted out alot of the original wimax areas in the stl area with it when I got my evo4g.

Sensorly just logs the phones GPS location with signal experienced and uploads that to a map. Good for what it is.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 2

I have doubts about the ability to map towers on LTE like we have grown accustomed to on CDMA and GSM.

I have doubts about the ability to map towers on LTE like we have grown accustomed to on CDMA and GSM.

Sensorly doesn't purport to "map" towers, but rather the signal strength recorded at the crowdsourced users own locations. These tend to be highways and arterials because that's where the crowds are.

I've used sensory off and on since the original evo 4g came out, its an ok app but there is no local logging that you can access, at least nothing indicated as such from the app.

Too bad about no local logging. If they had that feature I would be more inclined to use the app, especially since the Sensorly developers say they have had some success teasing LTE signal strength out of the hidden APIs on at least some Android models. I could have really used a feature the other day, when I was testing LTE in Waco, that at least would have logged my time, handset lat/lon, LTE signal strength as RSRP and quality as RSRQ, and whether the LTE connection was live or not. A bonus would be speed test results. To make Sensorly work, the app has to at least be capturing signal strength and lat/lon.

you can control the service and how much battery it is allowed to use or disable it so it only collects while the app is active.

• Like 1