Network Vision/LTE - Philadelphia Metro Market (including Lehigh Valley/Reading)

HappyHappy

Sprint is going to have to spend a good bit on backhaul given that even a gigabit link won't be enough to support B25/B26 and multiple B41 carriers.

That's correct. Three B41 carriers alone will create a 1Gbps demand. http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/687-Network-Vision-Site-Map---Michigan-Markets&do=findComment&comment=377429

That's a lot. Curious to see if that happens in the LV. Or, how soon. Verizon is the ILEC and only a few parts of Allentown have FIOS, so the rest have DSL. And if they are relying on cable companies for fiber, I think the highest Service Electric offers is 25 Mbps. Although I realize that offerings for commercial customers are different than residential. Penn Tele Data is supposed to have a pretty robust fiber network (PTD provides internet to Service Electric), so maybe they will go directly to PTD.

You thought wrong. Peak speeds can be over 70Mbps. Many of the 8T8R sites are going live before the backhaul speeds are upgraded further to support the increased capacity. And that's a good thing. It's better to have a 20MHz channel added for capacity now that can run 30-40Mbps than leave it sit there for a few months before it can run full speed. But additional B41 carriers will not be able to be added until the backhaul is increased.

To upgrade the backhaul further, do they just need to go to the basestation and hook up additional fiber livers which are already available? I was originally hoping that it would just be a phone call to the fiber company to ask for additional capacity that would be done at a click of a button.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

To upgrade the backhaul further, do they just need to go to the basestation and hook up additional fiber livers which are already available? I was originally hoping that it would just be a phone call to the fiber company to ask for additional capacity that would be done at a click of a button.

Fiber is hooked up. It's just dark.

There are different types of backhaul, different sizes of fiber, different providers. Each site is different essentially. Most should be relatively easy.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

i

i go to philly often and i have a lg volt for sprint prepaid and i cant wait to test them out there :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone in the Philly area having issues with service today? I can make calls and nothing else. Data just doesn't work, I called Sprint they said it's a known issue and they will have it fixed in 3-5 days and gave me a $10 credit. I somehow got LTE to work at my house but an hour before I left work no working data at all.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been noticing quite a bit of microwave panels popping up on some towers around the LV. Maybe they will finally launch the remaining LTE sites soon!

I'm glad sprint is trying alternative methods to get LTE up and running. Hopefully the fiber is still ordered as well.