Sprint Announces that it will use Alcatel's lightRadio Technology

I am glad that Sprint is deploying indoor and outdoor models for small cells. Definitely any small cells indoors or outdoors that can relief the macro network is more than welcome.

How do we sign up to host a small cell antenna on our homes? The Sprint customers in Pahrump would love me if I had one, lol.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

• Like 2

How do we sign up to host a small cell antenna on our homes? The Sprint customers in Pahrump would love me if I had one' date=' lol.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner[/quote']

http://www.sprint.com/fatchance

From CM10 Toro on Forum Runner

• Like 5

How do we sign up to host a small cell antenna on our homes?

After the way you treated the ants, you do not get to host anything with the word "ant" in it.

AJ

• Like 2

The first I recall reading about these was back in September. Earlier this year there was talk of Sprint using these new products. http://www.fiercewir...gear/2012-02-14 Telefónica announced the first LTE network using Alcatel-Lucent’s lightRadio technology, at Mobile World Congress.http://www.dailywire...o-in-barcelona/

http://www.dailywire...ly-2012-launch/

Oh God, that looks like the cube toy in the Hellraiser movie, lol.

Guest 503ducati

Ubiquiti seems to be taking aim at DragonWave, a leading provider of high-capacity packet microwave solutions.

FiberTower spectrum will bundled with DragonWave’s Avenue product line, enabling FiberTower’s 24 GHz and 39 GHz licenses to serve mobile carriers with six-inch and smaller antennas to provide street-level microcellular backhaul offerings.

http://www.sprint.com/fatchance

From CM10 Toro on Forum Runner

I can hope, can't I?

After the way you treated the ants, you do not get to host anything with the word "ant" in it.

AJ

I'm allowed to torture ants if I want. They got a reprieve this year since I haven't been home.

Sent from my LG-LS840 Viper 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

Awesome, with the Nascar and NBA deals, I'm guessing those facilities will be priorities to get these installed.

Do you have the links to articles for these deals?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I thought this was what DAS systems were for. Will this complement or replace DAS?

Small cells are exterior systems designed to cover a block to one square mile. Add extra capacity for high usage areas and infill in low signal areas. Its to help provide more capacity without expensive macro site cell splitting or buying more spectrum.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Will this complement or replace DAS?

As Robert likes to say, das ist gut.

;)

AJ

• Like 1

DAS systems are more expensive and complicated to install. Small cells are almost plug and play and can bolt on anywhere where sufficient Ethernet backhaul can plug in and power is available. They are single sector and can be attached to walls, street lights, stoplights. Pretty neat stuff.

Small cells will replace some DAS applications. But DAS will still be superior for indoor systems like airports, convention centers, coliseums, etc.

Guest 503ducati

DAS systems are more expensive and complicated to install. Small cells are almost plug and play and can bolt on anywhere where sufficient Ethernet backhaul can plug in and power is available. They are single sector and can be attached to walls, street lights, stoplights. Pretty neat stuff.

Small cells will replace some DAS applications. But DAS will still be superior for indoor systems like airports, convention centers, coliseums, etc.

Is it "easier" to install/maintain DAS in those types of environments vs outdoor? This small cell stuff is very interesting.

Is it "easier" to install/maintain DAS in those types of environments vs outdoor? This small cell stuff is very interesting.

Easier to install or maintain? No. But they are often a better fit for an indoor area where many locations are needed. Like an airport terminal in a place like O'Hare would need dozens throughout all the terminals and public spaces. Maybe even in behind the scenes employee areas too. To deploy dozens of small cells inside a terminal would not be as good as a DAS in this instance. DAS would have a couple of central nodes and have distributed antennas throughout.

Small cells could be done in the airport instance, but DAS is probably a better fit in large building high usage instances. I think carriers see Small cells a better fit for places they may need just one or two units to add capacity in an area. Places where there is a small coverage deficiency or more capacity is needed to bolster performance for the macro network.

If dozens are needed in a concentrated area, DAS is more likely a better fit.