New device for the wife...ideas?

Odell

So it looks like Windows phone has moved to the top of the list. If I keep listening to you guys the next thing you know I'll be building my own custom Linux based phone using hacked CDMA chips bought over some Estonian Undernet channel.

• Like 5

Or I could just go with the iPhone. But then she'll have to deal with iTunes and that's just another headache.

Maybe I'm getting myself into something here...

You don't have to deal with iTunes anymore unless you want to. You can activate the phone, buy music, buy apps, buy videos and never once connect the phone to a computer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

You don't have to deal with iTunes anymore unless you want to. You can activate the phone' date=' buy music, buy apps, buy videos and never once connect the phone to a computer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2[/quote']

Oh really? As Johnny Carson would say; "I did not know that."

Sent from my EVO LTE using Forum Runner

Even though I have a renewed attraction for my gnex since running JB, if the new WP8 impresses me(while supporting lte) I will ditch my nexus to get one for sure.

My wife's phone upgrade is now available today.

Debating on the EVO or S3. If the actual radio performance of the S3 is better, I might have her go with that one as she works in a fringe area that sprint was going to put a tower in but they changed their minds. But on the other hand....dBm isn't everything but it looks like the EVO might do better on 850 when roaming than the S3. Since VZW has better coverage here this would result in better total coverage. Not really sure...

She's not a big power user. Typical texting, facebook, couple of games user. She has dropped her phone quite a number of times and even has a small crack on her epic screen. I told her she would be getting a otterbox if she got the EVO bit of course she says but it wouldn't fit in my back pocket. Rolling my eyes...yeah just wait till you accidentally sit on the EVO when it is in your back pocket.

Will have to weigh all the pros and cons and look at the cases for the S3. Have to protect that big screen from a drop...

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

My wife's phone upgrade is now available today.

Debating on the EVO or S3. If the actual radio performance of the S3 is better, I might have her go with that one as she works in a fringe area that sprint was going to put a tower in but they changed their minds. But on the other hand....dBm isn't everything but it looks like the EVO might do better on 850 when roaming than the S3. Since VZW has better coverage here this would result in better total coverage. Not really sure...

She's not a big power user. Typical texting, facebook, couple of games user. She has dropped her phone quite a number of times and even has a small crack on her epic screen. I told her she would be getting a otterbox if she got the EVO bit of course she says but it wouldn't fit in my back pocket. Rolling my eyes...yeah just wait till you accidentally sit on the EVO when it is in your back pocket.

Will have to weigh all the pros and cons and look at the cases for the S3. Have to protect that big screen from a drop...

If you go with the S3 then you can get that flip case like Robert has that looks like it is nowhere near as bulky as an otterbox but still may provide some protection.

Odell, something to consider here. You've mentioned a couple times that you didn't want your wife to worry about messing around with iTunes should she opt for the iPhone.

One of the big changes with iOS 5 was iCloud. The benefit of having everything in the "cloud" was not having to mess around in iTunes at all! You can setup the phone right out of the box, no connecting to iTunes. Plus, if she did ever purchase any music on the phone, you can snag it off the cloud via iTunes and vice versa. So... really she wouldn't have to use iTunes much, if at all :)

• Like 1

Odell' date=' something to consider here. You've mentioned a couple times that you didn't want your wife to worry about messing around with iTunes should she opt for the iPhone.

One of the big changes with iOS 5 was iCloud. The benefit of having everything in the "cloud" was not having to mess around in iTunes at all! You can setup the phone right out of the box, no connecting to iTunes. Plus, if she did ever purchase any music on the phone, you can snag it off the cloud via iTunes and vice versa. So... really she wouldn't have to use iTunes much, if at all :)[/quote']

That's definitely something in the iphone's favor. We will probably be looking in earnest next week so I have to narrow her choices by then.

icloud is not really that big of an advantage (if any) over android, between google's integrated services (books/music/photo's/etc) and amazons new cloud player/drive with similar functionality as 'itunes match', its basically a wash.

For those that are not aware, you can sync photos and such via android with picasa/google photo's, at least in the newer android versions.

an older lifehacker article comparing icloud to google

http://lifehacker.co...oud-from-google

essentially it boils down to whether or not you are 'mac centric', or want/don't want to be.

Edited by dedub

This thread is 4 pages now so folks may not have seen the beginning but it's really not a matter of mac-centric or not or whether iCloud is an advantage over Google. The iPhone is probably the right device for my wife and her temperament but dealing with iTunes would be a pain to her. I may wait to see what windows phones are coming but I have no experience with the windows mobile UI.

Messing with iTunes on an iPod burned me even more than I was. That's horrible.

Another thing I like about android is you can plug up the phone and copy any files I want to it. And also pull them off with ease. I download my video podcasts and then watch them on my computer at work. Also if I upload my MP3 collection to the google music cloud I can download them to my phone as I play them. I can even pull them off my phone to another computer if I want. Just so many cool things since android is so open and doesn't have the Nazi mentality of the iPhone telling you what to do with the device you pay for.

I just have seen any changes for the positive in ios that would make me even think about switching. All those white screens have to go!

• Like 1

The wife's iPod got stolen out of the truck last night. I am finally free of iTunes! The funny thing is that I am replacing an iPod touch 32GB with a $22 USB thumb drive and the thumb drive works better in the truck...

I actually use iTunes for my iPod and I have no problem with it. I prefer to use my iPod for my music rather than my cell phone. The rental car I had on my last trip had the iPod hook-up and the integration was seamless. That's going to be a must-have feature on my next vehicle. iTunes and the iPod fit my music player needs perfectly.

For my mobile phone I prefer Android. That fits my needs perfectly. It doesn't really fit my wife's needs. She's not going to be saving files or uploading mp3s or any of the myriad other things that folks have mentioned for why they prefer Android or iOS.

Now if anyone has any unbiased experience with Windows Phone vs iOS I would love to hear it.

I also have a USB stick attached to the radio in my car. Ended up getting a 16 gb micro USB drive. I think I have put a cd in that unit once in the past year. Spoiled with the simplicity and how easy it is with drag and drop files to it for any updates.

I also have a USB stick attached to the radio in my car. Ended up getting a 16 gb micro USB drive. I think I have put a cd in that unit once in the past year. Spoiled with the simplicity and how easy it is with drag and drop files to it for any updates.

Do you have the SanDisk Cruiser Fit?

That is what I am looking at. It will barely be visible in the USB port.

$23 for a 32G on Amazon. You can't beat that. Not sure where your USB port is for your car but you could put that bad boy in an no one would even know it's there.

http://www.amazon.co...+cruzer+fit+8gb

At that price I almost ordered one just because!

$23 for a 32G on Amazon. You can't beat that. Not sure where your USB port is for your car but you could put that bad boy in an no one would even know it's there.

It's right on the dash, so size (or lack thereof) is a big factor in my decision. The car however, has the USB port in the center console, so I might go with an external HD for that.

Almost that size... I don't even notice it in the radio face.

I would not want a hard disk in the car. Too many vibrations. And wow...that's insane if you have more than 32gb of music. I would split them up by genre on different memory sticks so I wouldn't have to scroll through all those folders.

And to stay back on topic... She got the GS3 over the EVO. She said she just liked the look over it better. Ha! Women. And nope, not touching it or rooting it, as I would get blamed for some little app not working.

And to stay back on topic... She got the GS3 over the EVO. She said she just liked the look over it better. Ha! Women. And nope, not touching it or rooting it, as I would get blamed for some little app not working.

That's funny. My next question to you was going to be about rooting her phone. The reason I'm looking for the right solution is I don't want to get blamed when it doesn't work like she wants it. I can hear it now; "I should have stuck with the Blackberry, but nooooooo! YOU wanted me to upgrade! Some upgrade!" :bullhorn:

I have offered to root all of the wife's last 3 phones. She refused all 3 offers. Not sure I could even do much with this Motorola anyway, but the previous 2 were Samsung.

Sent from JBToro on Forum Runner

I found a low-profile 16 GB drive at Staples on sale for $5. It's a store brand, but works like a charm for playing music on my car stereo.

Sent from my GS3 on Tapatalk 2

Almost that size... I don't even notice it in the radio face.

I would not want a hard disk in the car. Too many vibrations. And wow...that's insane if you have more than 32gb of music. I would split them up by genre on different memory sticks so I wouldn't have to scroll through all those folders.

And to stay back on topic... She got the GS3 over the EVO. She said she just liked the look over it better. Ha! Women. And nope' date=' not touching it or rooting it, as I would get blamed for some little app not working.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge[/quote']

I may use several sticks, but I have a hard drive encased in rubber that is supposed to be rugged. I used to buy a ton of CDs. I wish I could return them all. Before I deployed, I ripped all my CDs in my collection to MP3 format and bought a 40 GB iPod to put them on. It was 75%+ full. Since then, I have added to it and integrated the wife's collection and I am over 100gb. Not to say they are all good, or that I couldn't weed it down to 20 GB of great tracks, but sometimes the deep tracks are fun for a change.

Sent from JBToro on Forum Runner

That's funny. My next question to you was going to be about rooting her phone. The reason I'm looking for the right solution is I don't want to get blamed when it doesn't work like she wants it. I can hear it now; "I should have stuck with the Blackberry, but nooooooo! YOU wanted me to upgrade! Some upgrade!"

Haha...I looked through the phone and settings when I got home. I didn't change anything. Then 5 minutes later the phone wouldn't send any texts. Of course she said I changed somethings. Uh no. She ended up calling sprint and the later told her the airave needs to be rebooted anytime that happens. Weird...I could send and receive texts on my phone. Sounds like the S3 needs a fix. I checked the software versions and the phone already had the latest update that just came out.

Now you can see why I never touch anyone's phone. Learned a long time ago that the women are just waiting to blame the tech in the house!

And my comment on the phone itself. The motion stuff is kinda gimmicky and I couldnt get the eye thing to watch me and not cut the screen off. Voice recognition has never interested me. Cool phone, seemed smooth. I didn't like the build quality or the camera app. Not bad but I prefer the EVO. I will have to take it for a spin and see how the signal goes. I know its bars...and you can't really compare bars. But I had one bar on my EVO and she had none when the airave was rebooting. So I didn't foresee much of a difference between the two.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well, I did end up getting a new device for my wife. It's just not a smartphone. Her 6 year old laptop has been slowly marching towards the grave and just this week it decided to hasten its footsteps. So the new phone has been put on the back burner for a bit. Thanks for all the advice guys. I was looking forward to revealing the final decision.