Evo LTE multitasking experience?

chanceit

Do we have any opinions of the EVO LTE's multitasking experience from all of you new owners? I think I prefer the EVO LTE but I'm concerned about that and the LTE connection issues some have talked about.

Same here. I multitask with no problems. I even like teh recent apps button that was criticized in many reviews.

Disagree on that one. Hated that button and remained to the missing menu key. Got rid of the three dot bar taking up space on apps and games. Nothing was full screen with it there. Looks great without that ugly bar now.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

What is the multitasking issue you all are referring to? I hope one day Android will be able to multitask like WebOS did. I loved that operating system.

I have a palm pre (never activated) and a hp touch pad dual booted with webos and ICS. I don't see the differences in multi tasking as they both do it.

• Like 1

I have a palm pre (never activated) and a hp touch pad dual booted with webos and ICS. I don't see the differences in multi tasking as they both do it. Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

http://pocketnow.com/2012/07/16/android-multitasking-is-still-a-half-baked-ripoff/

This article kind of explains how I feel about the 2 operating systems. I still love Android, but if WebOS got on board early with the apps and hardware, I'd probably still be using it as my daily.

• Like 1

What is the multitasking issue you all are referring to? I hope one day Android will be able to multitask like WebOS did. I loved that operating system.

When the Evo LTE first came out, there were a number of reviews that said HTC's multitasking implementation slowed the phone down. I believe they said the phone would reload a webpage if you switched to another app and then returned to the first one. Some thought it was an overly aggressive memory management issue. I've used WebOS for the last 3 years but LTE means it's time to move on

Disagree on that one. Hated that button and remained to the missing menu key. Got rid of the three dot bar taking up space on apps and games. Nothing was full screen with it there. Looks great without that ugly bar now.

how did you go about that?

how did you go about that?

There is a zip file you can flash but you have to be rooted.

Me to. As soon as that zip was out, i used it. Much better now :)

There is a zip file you can flash but you have to be rooted.

You could unroot after if you are a worry wart. HTC should have made that change a user option.

There is no multi-tasking on the EVO LTE. Anyone who tells you otherwise, and I hate to say this, doesn't know what they're talking about.

Under stock conditions, the phone will kill off background processes VERY quickly. What this means for the user is having to reload web pages everytime you exit the browser to do something like send a text message. Games, applications, and anything running in the background will likely be killed the second you hit the home button and switch to another app. If you're in a reader app, like a forum browser or a news reader, exiting out will kill the application forcing it to reload and you will lose your place. I guarantee you it's the most frustrating experience on the phone.

Here is a youtube that illustrates the problem:

Watch how the One X has to reload every time the guy switches apps.

Fortunately, this can be mostly "solved" by rooting and installing a custom rom. I'm using MeanRom. After 3 days of stock use on this phone, the lack of multi-tasking was already driving me up a wall and I had to root it. I think I even had problem with background streaming apps like Pandora, Spotify, and Google Music, as well as background GPS logging apps.

Please take this into consideration when buying the phone. It's still a great phone hardware wise, but the multi-tasking issue is such a huge oversight that I have trouble recommending the phone to anyone who isn't a techie and knows how to root. If you're basically a "dumbphone" smartphone user, then multitasking won't mean anything to you anyways.

• Like 1

You could unroot after if you are a worry wart. HTC should have made that change a user option.

I agree but also remember that ics went to the onscreen menu buttons so any app thats updated to ics standards suppose to have onscreen menu buttons which wouldn't show the ugly black bar on the bottom taking up screen real estate.

I agree but also remember that ics went to the onscreen menu buttons so any app thats updated to ics standards suppose to have onscreen menu buttons which wouldn't show the ugly black bar on the bottom taking up screen real estate.

I wasn't waiting on devs. Many are updating today and not on the new look.

Multitasking worked fine even on stock. I could switch apps and come back to the same spot. I have no issue typing a message on tapatalk and stopping mid post to go look at my email or look at something in an app or on the web. When I come back to tapatalk it is right where I left it. Guess I am lucky that mine works.

• Like 1

.....Multitasking worked fine even on stock. I could switch apps and come back to the same spot. I have no issue typing a message on tapatalk and stopping mid post to go look at my email or look at something in an app or on the web. When I come back to tapatalk it is right where I left it. Guess I am lucky that mine works.

I do similar functions on my Evo LTE all the time. I'm 100% stock with No problems either.