OTA coming for EVO next few days...

Crimson01

One X just got 4.0.4 and sense 4.1 (Tegra 3 version)

Man I wish Sprint and HTC would really start to update this phone a little! If they don't this will be the last HTC phone I will EVER buy! And I don't know why HTC hasn't gotten JellyBean out already? If I were HTC I would spend every last dollar hiring the best devs to get this done ASAP so that they would have a huge selling point over Samsung. I mean what are they doing? The internal battery annoyed me, but the kickstand and microSD card slot kept me with HTC. If they don't start listening to the users they will be out of business soon. I mean the HOX doesn't have a kickstand, microSD card slot, small non-removable battery? Who is HTC listening too? I just want the huge menu button removed already! And why isn't Google advertising Google Now or any new JellyBean features? I still have friends who are waiting for the new iPhone just for Siri and when I show them the Google Now VS Siri vids they are blown away and NO ONE knows that it exists? I'm at a lose for words? /RANT

Man I wish Sprint and HTC would really start to update this phone a little! If they don't this will be the last HTC phone I will EVER buy! And I don't know why HTC hasn't gotten JellyBean out already? If I were HTC I would spend every last dollar hiring the best devs to get this done ASAP so that they would have a huge selling point over Samsung. I mean what are they doing? The internal battery annoyed me, but the kickstand and microSD card slot kept me with HTC. If they don't start listening to the users they will be out of business soon. I mean the HOX doesn't have a kickstand, microSD card slot, small non-removable battery? Who is HTC listening too? I just want the huge menu button removed already! And why isn't Google advertising Google Now or any new JellyBean features? I still have friends who are waiting for the new iPhone just for Siri and when I show them the Google Now VS Siri vids they are blown away and NO ONE knows that it exists? I'm at a lose for words? /RANT

Jellybean was just unveiled last month - only a few of the Nexus devices have it at the moment. I thought it was pretty well known that if you want the quickest updates to get a Nexus device?

As far as getting updates out, Sprint also has to test and certify the updates which, according to this article from phonescoop.com, normally takes 3-4 months. http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=10935&p=5169

• Like 1

Jellybean was just unveiled last month - only a few of the Nexus devices have it at the moment. I thought it was pretty well known that if you want the quickest updates to get a Nexus device?

As far as getting updates out, Sprint also has to test and certify the updates which, according to this article from phonescoop.com, normally takes 3-4 months. http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=10935&p=5169

Very interesting article!

KCT - "No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!"

So do I (not an EVO LTE user) understand correctly that this update has still not even been released yet? The original post a couple of weeks ago led everyone to think that there would be a quick update to optimize the LTE signal threshold. Maybe the need is not as acute as it was on the Samsung GS3. But since this is one of Sprint's flagship phones, if there still is an LTE threshold problem on this handset that fact has to color the experience of many users out there reporting their LTE rollout results.

Just saw an article that the One X got an update....

http://androidadvices.com/htc-one-x-anroid-4-0-4-update/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AndroidAdvices+%28Android+Advices%29

So hopefully the LTEVO will be getting the update too soon.

Just saw an article that the One X got an update....

http://androidadvices.com/htc-one-x-anroid-4-0-4-update/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AndroidAdvices+%28Android+Advices%29

So hopefully the LTEVO will be getting the update too soon.

Yeah and the ATT version which is closer to ours has had it even longer....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I wonder if Sprint would trade me an S3 for my phone? I hear the S3 gets Jelly Bean at the end of August. This LTE toggle issue is a deal killer for me.

Do you know anyone in your area with an gs3 thats not having lte connection issues?

I do not have to toggle to get 4G service. My phone will automatically switch back and forth from 3G to 4G in my normal areas. It seems to me, once your in an area and your phone knows there is 4G, it works fine, I think it is when first discovering if an area has 4G where you need to toggle.

I do not have to toggle to get 4G service. My phone will automatically switch back and forth from 3G to 4G in my normal areas. It seems to me, once your in an area and your phone knows there is 4G, it works fine, I think it is when first discovering if an area has 4G where you need to toggle.

Its hard to tell if you only have an evo lte to determine how bad it is. With me having an evo lte and a gnex, the problem is more than evident. For example, if have an lte tower very close to my house. If I drive to my south then the lte connection will drop at about the 1.5 mile mark for my evo but my gnex lte connection wouldn't drop until I get about 3 miles away. Now with no lte connection on either phone driving towards the tower my gnex will automatically connect to lte about 2.5 miles out on average but then my evo wouldn't automatically connect until I am within less than a mile and other times it wouldn't even connect if I am 100 feet from the tower, then I have to toggle. Now it doesn't happen every time but whats key here is that it never happens on my gnex, ever.

• Like 1

After riding around on my bike, with my phone in a holder on my handle bars, that the issue with connecting to LTE isn't so much a threshold issue, as much as it is a scan time issue. I *think* when using 3G, the phone only scans for LTE once every 30 minutes. At least that was what a setting appeared to mean when I was digging through the data settings.

When I am in areas that I know have 4G coverage, if I don't touch any of the settings, it does connect, but it sometimes takes as long as 20 minutes. I can force it by toggling airplane mode, and then it will connected immediately. That is was leads me to believe it is the scan time that makes it look like it won't connect.

When it is connected, it stays connected until the signal drops to below -125dBm, which seems pretty reasonable. Perhaps it doesn't have as strong of an antenna as the GNex, but I can't really say since I don't have one of those. I managed to drive all the way along I-70 in Lawrence, KS to two blocks away from my home in Lenexa, KS (35 miles or so) without ever dropping the 4G signal, even though signal strength was down to -124dBm at times. Now of course, once I was near my house, I lost the signal completely, but that's a different story.

After riding around on my bike, with my phone in a holder on my handle bars, that the issue with connecting to LTE isn't so much a threshold issue, as much as it is a scan time issue. I *think* when using 3G, the phone only scans for LTE once every 30 minutes. At least that was what a setting appeared to mean when I was digging through the data settings.

When I am in areas that I know have 4G coverage, if I don't touch any of the settings, it does connect, but it sometimes takes as long as 20 minutes. I can force it by toggling airplane mode, and then it will connected immediately. That is was leads me to believe it is the scan time that makes it look like it won't connect.

When it is connected, it stays connected until the signal drops to below -125dBm, which seems pretty reasonable. Perhaps it doesn't have as strong of an antenna as the GNex, but I can't really say since I don't have one of those. I managed to drive all the way along I-70 in Lawrence, KS to two blocks away from my home in Lenexa, KS (35 miles or so) without ever dropping the 4G signal, even though signal strength was down to -124dBm at times. Now of course, once I was near my house, I lost the signal completely, but that's a different story.

That is an interesting...where did you see this scan interval info?

I could be mistaken, but I think you may be incorrectly assuming the purpose or at least the time interval of the scan.

It would seem quite pointless to scan for lte every 30 thirty minutes. If this is indeed scanning for an lte signal to connect to it would seem more likely to scan every 30 seconds. The reason I say this is that these are mobile phones and you can very quickly move in or out of lte coverage just by driving down the road or going in/out of buildings. Why would they make you wait 30 minutes to check to see if you had lte coverage to reconnect again?

Im just guessing at this myself.

Anyone?

Have you tried changing the LTE scan timer settings?

I was going to, but then something went wrong with my phone, the CDMA radio went bad or something. Couldn't connect to 3G at all, ever, couldn't send text messages, but I could make phone calls. It was weird. So they replaced my phone, and the MSL number changed. Haven't been able to get back into the edit menu yet. Need the new MSL number.

I could be mistaken, but I think you may be incorrectly assuming the purpose or at least the time interval of the scan.

It would seem quite pointless to scan for lte every 30 thirty minutes. If this is indeed scanning for an lte signal to connect to it would seem more likely to scan every 30 seconds. The reason I say this is that these are mobile phones and you can very quickly move in or out of lte coverage just by driving down the road or going in/out of buildings. Why would they make you wait 30 minutes to check to see if you had lte coverage to reconnect again?

Im just guessing at this myself.

Anyone?

You would think it would be 30 seconds, but I've let it sit in places I know have LTE coverage, and without forcing, it can take up to 25 minutes for it to connect if I have just come out of an area with solely 3G coverage. Once it drops the signal, it doesn't reconnect on it's own without forcing, or waiting a long time.

You would think it would be 30 seconds, but I've let it sit in places I know have LTE coverage, and without forcing, it can take up to 25 minutes for it to connect if I have just come out of an area with solely 3G coverage. Once it drops the signal, it doesn't reconnect on it's own without forcing, or waiting a long time.

I think I have read on here that the signal threshold on the evolte and possibly the s3 are not properly set to allow the phone connect to the lte signal vs the cdma signal. In other words, from my understanding, the cdma signal is pretty much overpowering the lte so it connects to the cdma signal.

When Im in an area that is saturated with lte I have no issues connecting to the lte signal. If I go into a building and lose lte it will reconnect when I come back out. It does it without being toggled.

I think I have read on here that the signal threshold on the evolte and possibly the s3 are not properly set to allow the phone connect to the lte signal vs the cdma signal. In other words, from my understanding, the cdma signal is pretty much overpowering the lte so it connects to the cdma signal.

When Im in an area that is saturated with lte I have no issues connecting to the lte signal. If I go into a building and lose lte it will reconnect when I come back out. It does it without being toggled.

I've read that too, but I'm not quite sure if that's really right. So far, every time I've checked, as long as the LTE signal is at or above -125dBm, it holds onto the signal. Even when the CDMA signal is stronger. The only trouble I seem to have is that it takes it a long time to recognize that there is a LTE signal. The only time I see it kick back and forth between LTE and 3G is on the fringe of an LTE signal, which is apparently where I live :(

I've read that too, but I'm not quite sure if that's really right. So far, every time I've checked, as long as the LTE signal is at or above -125dBm, it holds onto the signal. Even when the CDMA signal is stronger. The only trouble I seem to have is that it takes it a long time to recognize that there is a LTE signal. The only time I see it kick back and forth between LTE and 3G is on the fringe of an LTE signal, which is apparently where I live :(

At this point the only thing I can say is I guees we all need to be patient and wait to see what the OTA brings us. Im sure there are some members in here that are way more informed and knowlegeable than I am that could weigh in on this and probably give better information.

AJ or Robert?

I believe the LTE scan is an issue based on things I've seen and heard. But the threshold issue is real, and the LTE scan is an unrelated issue.

Thresholds were modified in the last round of OTA's. So threshold issues have been vastly improved. However, LTE scan could be affecting a lot of users now, and would explain a lot of the issues that EVO LTE customers are having. Cycling through CDMA only and CDMA/LTE mode forces the device to scan LTE, whereas it might take up to 30 minutes if you waited for it to scan on its own.

On the GS3, it's called "nextLTEscan timer" and it is also set to 30. And there is a BSR timer set to 2. I went to modify the LTE timer down to 1, and it said "insert correct value" when I tried to save it. I changed it to 29, and it repeated the same error. It doesn't look like I am able to change the scan timer on my GS3. I will check my other LTE devices when I get a chance.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I can confirm the 1.22 ota does improve lte connectivity.

As far as the scan time, on my Evo4gLTE I went into the epst data lte record menu and changed the scan to 1 and it sticks. I also changed the bsr scan to 1. This makes my phone pop in and out of lte much much faster. The down side is if your on the edge of lte coverage it will keep switching back and forth making surfing sometimes a waiting game. Fortunate for me I am around a lot of lte and with the epst changes and the 1.22 ota I'm staying connected to lte much longer without all the switching.

I believe the LTE scan is an issue based on things I've seen and heard. But the threshold issue is real, and the LTE scan is an unrelated issue.

Thresholds were modified in the last round of OTA's. So threshold issues have been vastly improved. However, LTE scan could be affecting a lot of users now, and would explain a lot of the issues that EVO LTE customers are having. Cycling through CDMA only and CDMA/LTE mode forces the device to scan LTE, whereas it might take up to 30 minutes if you waited for it to scan on its own.

On the GS3, it's called "nextLTEscan timer" and it is also set to 30. And there is a BSR timer set to 2. I went to modify the LTE timer down to 1, and it said "insert correct value" when I tried to save it. I changed it to 29, and it repeated the same error. It doesn't look like I am able to change the scan timer on my GS3. I will check my other LTE devices when I get a chance.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Sent via LTE from my Evo LTE s-offed by an overweight panda.

I believe it's that weird little dance Sprint is having to go through right now. Release the partial market or not...release..or not. So what they do is relax the scans a lot in an attempt to make sure you are in a good LTE area. If the did the scans more aggressive like they should in a fully covered market and you were in a partial market you might get a bad taste in your mouth from the data flipping back and forth like the post above this one. Now wasn't eHRPD supposed to take care of that hand off with ease? That's a different subject. It would be impossible to just change the phones that were in LTE markets due to the people that travel from area to area so they have to do this relaxed scan times. I'm sure the timers are not just 30 seconds or whatever and done. It's probably more of a ramp up process. Scan...wait 30 sec..scan..wait 60 sec..scan..wait 90. etc. Kind of like how the wimax phones did. So what were seeing is when you come into an area with LTE your phone hasn't seen a LTE signal since you last rebooted it a week ago. The phone kind of figures it's a waste of time to scan more than every 20-30 minutes. More of just a guess of course but if I was developing the firmware this is probably how I would design it except with some random seed scans introduced as well though as people don't normally follow a set pattern. Once LTE is in full force I'm sure we will see this problem go away as the scan times are scaled way back or removed all together. Much like how your phone would scan 24/7 for a EVDO connection in a 1X native area (not sure if Sprint still has those).

• Like 1