Network Vision/LTE - Washington DC Market

Abyss19707

I think the "gate releasing" is coming soon because the hand off between wifi and 3g is taking a lot longer than usual. im praying its pulling a

phone: "oh i see lte when i leave the comforts of wifi!"

tower: "you do buddy but now is not your time to shine...here have some 3g"

• Like 1

As of Thursday AM according to sensorly they have 2 towers broadcasting LTE in DC. Who knows how many more towers are ready to go. It is mid November. Thanksgiving is around the corner. XMAS, Then cold dangerous tower weather. Prove me wrong Sprint.

As of Thursday AM according to sensorly they have 2 towers broadcasting LTE in DC. Who knows how many more towers are ready to go. It is mid November. Thanksgiving is around the corner. XMAS, Then cold dangerous tower weather. Prove me wrong Sprint.

Agreed I thought that a lot of towers were already upgraded and it would be a simple software patch to allow access but now it seems that towers are being "turned on" as the manual work is completed.

I had a setback tonight in my admittedly non-scientific measure of network performance. I was not able to stream an Xbox Music album on my Windows Phone on my commute home this afternoon. I started the stream as soon as I pulled out of my parking garage at 9th and D and it never "hooked up" for me. I was surprised because I have been able to stream music on my commutes to and from DC as long as I was on the toll road (267) and 66. No joy on either road this afternoon. I will attempt to stream again tomorrow morning. Hopefully this is just a temporary blip.

Oh wow lol. Drunk + excited about lte = too many posts. Sorry about that guys lol.

Don't worry about it! Thanks for the updates, and for adding to the Sensorly map. I check it multiple times a day, just to see how close the purple is getting to my work!

• Like 1

sec0pz, Nov 17 2012 08:15 PM

Soooo Happy!

So I have been tracking the three Sprint towers around my house hoping to notice an upgrade team of some other kind of action going on. By tracking, I mean checking them out when I drive by them but also staying abreast of the Sprint "Network Vision" update site and also this site.

So today, I am driving by the closest tower to my house on my way back home and I see 3 Lucent - Alcatel trucks parked at the tower. I have a few minutes to spare so I stop by and see if I can speak to the guys. Turns out, yes, I can and they are sooooooo nice, and soooooo informative. Heres what they told me.

They ARE installing 4G LTE for Sprint. This tower is "exclusively" Sprint (was not aware of that) and Sprint has vowed internally to have LTE up in this area (DC Metro / So. MD.) by "black Friday". They told me specifically that Sprint is NOT waiting to turn the whole market up at once and when a tower is ready, they make it live cuz they are already behind schedule. They told me "my" tower would be ready in approx 4 days and if I wanted 4G to go ahead and buy a phone now.

I feel almost giddy....:-))

==sec0p

Someone posted this in another page.

• Like 3

sec0pz, Nov 17 2012 08:15 PM

Soooo Happy!

So I have been tracking the three Sprint towers around my house hoping to notice an upgrade team of some other kind of action going on. By tracking, I mean checking them out when I drive by them but also staying abreast of the Sprint "Network Vision" update site and also this site.

So today, I am driving by the closest tower to my house on my way back home and I see 3 Lucent - Alcatel trucks parked at the tower. I have a few minutes to spare so I stop by and see if I can speak to the guys. Turns out, yes, I can and they are sooooooo nice, and soooooo informative. Heres what they told me.

They ARE installing 4G LTE for Sprint. This tower is "exclusively" Sprint (was not aware of that) and Sprint has vowed internally to have LTE up in this area (DC Metro / So. MD.) by "black Friday". They told me specifically that Sprint is NOT waiting to turn the whole market up at once and when a tower is ready, they make it live cuz they are already behind schedule. They told me "my" tower would be ready in approx 4 days and if I wanted 4G to go ahead and buy a phone now.

I feel almost giddy....:-))

==sec0p

Someone posted this in another page.

OMG for real??????? they said maryland would have lte? also?????

I got a message from Sprint on my account messaging to look for something on Black Friday. Considering I live near the Reston LTE site which is at the Sprint Reston campus.

Went on a walkabout at lunch, hunting the elusive Sprint LTE signal. Was able to catch fleeting glimpses of the beast near Thomas Circle. Sensorly protocols were initiated, but my observations did not stray from the beaten path. Measurements of the beast's speed were attempted, but the infantile nature gait resulted in less than satisfactory results.

• Like 1

Well, I'm definitely feeling the NV upgrades, as I was able to stream Netflix on my phone while in the car, and I've been getting extremely consistent 1.5/1.0 speed tests. I'll be in the heart of DC on thanksgiving, so I might just have to talk a little sensorly walkabout hunting for LTE.

• Like 1