Network Vision/LTE - Washington DC Market

Abyss19707

Anyone in the area been having services issues since yesterday? SMS or calls. Im in Arlington, was in Greenbelt last night and in both places, service problems out the "wazoo".

No problems on my iPhone 5. Haven't had a dropped call since I switched from AT&T. I've had SMS failures once or twice though. Wasn't foreign to that on AT&T either. :P

The most disheartening thing about all these upgrades is that none are listed for NW DC where I live. There were one or two listed as upcoming on the older version of network.sprint.com, but there's a giant swath of nothing on the map right now.

I understand why they're concentrating on downtown DC because that's where I work and speeds are pretty terrible, but it'd be nice to see some expanded coverage in the living areas of the city because my 3g speeds are even worse at home than they are at work.

The most disheartening thing about all these upgrades is that none are listed for NW DC where I live. There were one or two listed as upcoming on the older version of network.sprint.com, but there's a giant swath of nothing on the map right now.

Sprint changed network.sprint.com, to show only completed maintenance upgrades. They are not associated with Network Vision or LTE.

The deployment started months ago in the DC market. We are tracking them in our Sponsor maps.

Sprint changed network.sprint.com, to show only completed maintenance upgrades. They are not associated with Network Vision or LTE.

Actually, completed LTE sites are listed. I think... Someone back me up here?

Actually, completed LTE sites are listed. I think... Someone back me up here?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2360-sprint-has-revised-the-networksprintcom-sitehint-of-lte/

Sprint has revised their https://network.sprint.com/ site, and it now it mentions 4G LTE. However, nowhere on the maps does it actually show live 4G LTE sites. But when I scan around and look at all the sites that are complete with LTE in Kansas, every one I noticed does say "Speed Upgrade."

This could mean two things...

1. LTE sites completed are also being labeled with "Data Speed Upgrade", or
  2. The data speed upgrade is referencing the fact that new upgraded backhaul is at the site

So even though this interesting, it does not specifically identify LTE sites.

No problems on my iPhone 5. Haven't had a dropped call since I switched from AT&T. I've had SMS failures once or twice though. Wasn't foreign to that on AT&T either. :P

Damn. Im in Arlington off of Columbia Pike right next to the Pentagon pretty much. Went out to Falls Church yesterday and got a mass flood of sms and vm notifications. Still going on too. Must be an antenna issue.

Which ROM and baseband are you on

Usually I stay on AOKP's latest build but I have tried stock and modified TW roms too just to give things a try. Currently on LIH.

Does anyone else use Sprint in the L'enfant area? Several tests inside and outside my building, and between it and the train station, are maxing out at .1mbps (as in 1/10 of a megabit, and usually half of that). In my office next to the window I'm getting 10kbps.

This explains why my data connection seems to not "work". For the past few months I was wondering why my battery life on my smartphone sucked so bad, and now that I have an I5, the battery life still goes down by half if I barely touch my phone.

Back in the burbs in south-east fairfax I'm getting usually about 1.5mbps. I don't get how their 3g can suck so bad in a central part of DC. (Unless their network is just that overloaded). Really hoping when LTE comes their 3g won't matter. (On my old Wi-Max android I couldn't catch 4g in L'enfant regularly, so I just kept it off).

Edited by jkapp

^I work near L'Enfant, and while I've never been able to get good signal in my building (unless I force roaming), the signal outdoors is really bad lately, too. I was trying to load Google Maps traffic info yesterday and it just wouldn't load. Then I tried to run a speed test and it failed about a dozen times due to network communication errors before I finally gave up. As soon as I got to the Rosslyn Tunnel on I-66, data speeds were up around 500k or higher all the way to Tysons.

I know this isnt the DC area but it is close enough to not be the rest of DC dammit. Going on a week and a half of maybe one completed call a day and one massive push of all SMS/MMS a day. Essentially if you live in this area, your shit out of luck and Sprint just keeps BSing saying that it will be fixed tomorrow.

2w24lee.png

I know this isnt the DC area but it is close enough to not be the rest of DC dammit. Going on a week and a half of maybe one completed call a day and one massive push of all SMS/MMS a day. Essentially if you live in this area' date=' your shit out of luck and Sprint just keeps BSing saying that it will be fixed tomorrow.

[/quote']

You are in an active Network Vision deployment area. Expect issues for awhile. But the network improvements are much needed. And will be appreciated once they are complete.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

You are in an active Network Vision deployment area. Expect issues for awhile. But the network improvements are much needed. And will be appreciated once they are complete.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

LET ME WHINE!!!!!! lol. I keed I keed.

Boo-Hoo.gif

Went to the sprint store the other day and spoke with one of the representatives about how bad the service is getting, and he said it's happening to everyone but it's probably only due to maintenance they're performing. He also said that they plan on DC LTE being live in early November, not sure how true that is or whether his boss was just blowing smoke... It would be nice though!

Went to the sprint store the other day and spoke with one of the representatives about how bad the service is getting, and he said it's happening to everyone but it's probably only due to maintenance they're performing. He also said that they plan on DC LTE being live in early November, not sure how true that is or whether his boss was just blowing smoke... It would be nice though!

There is a blip on Sensorly in what looks like PG county near the Capital Heights metro stop. Hopefully it's not a fleeting test LTE signal and stays on more permanently. It could be a sign of a soft launch. Hopefully they unblock any sites in VA (Sensorly shows one in Reston) and DC and not just those in MD as they seem to have done so far.

There is a blip on Sensorly in what looks like PG county near the Capital Heights metro stop. Hopefully it's not a fleeting test LTE signal and stays on more permanently. It could be a sign of a soft launch. Hopefully they unblock any sites in VA (Sensorly shows one in Reston) and DC and not just those in MD as they seem to have done so far.

Most likely a test. There were similar blips in Baltimore. Just getting ready.

Take it for what it is worth ladies and gents but this is what I was told today. He doesnt say specifically what the upgrade is but according to sprints maps. All the towers around me are due for an upgrade. Also dont mind my bitching at the agent, it just sucks horribly that i havent been able to call or message at all since the 20th of october and wont be able to until the 10th of this month

Customer: I know this is not your fault Douglas but are you serious?!

Lance N.: Sprint is currently experiencing service impacts in the states affected by Hurricane Sandy and the concurrent winter weather conditions.

Lance N.: Yes, I apologize for this inconvenience

Customer: This has been an issue since before sandy

Lance N.: Let me explain this.

Customer: i mean i understand that sandy has caused massive issues

Lance N.: I also checked that a cell site upgrade is also going on in your area to improve the covrage

Lance N.: This upgrade was started on 10/21/2012.

Lance N.: I do understand that.

Lance N.: This upgrade will be completed by 11/05/2012 14:19:00 CST

Customer: sucks to be a sprint customer in my area

Lance N.: I do understand your situation. I am sorry for this issue

Customer: wait

Customer: the 5th or the 10th

Lance N.: Sure

Lance N.: Both are different. Let me explain.

Lance N.: The cell site upgrade will be completed on 11/05/2012 14:19:00 CST and the complete issue will be resolve by 11/10/2012 23:00:00 CST.

Edited by munsterrr

Take it for what it is worth ladies and gents but this is what I was told today. He doesnt say specifically what the upgrade is but according to sprints maps. All the towers around me are due for an upgrade. Also dont mind my bitching at the agent, it just sucks horribly that i havent been able to call or message at all since the 20th of october and wont be able to until the 10th of this month

Customer: I know this is not your fault Douglas but are you serious?!

Lance N.: Sprint is currently experiencing service impacts in the states affected by Hurricane Sandy and the concurrent winter weather conditions.

Lance N.: Yes, I apologize for this inconvenience

Customer: This has been an issue since before sandy

Lance N.: Let me explain this.

Customer: i mean i understand that sandy has caused massive issues

Lance N.: I also checked that a cell site upgrade is also going on in your area to improve the covrage

Lance N.: This upgrade was started on 10/21/2012.

Lance N.: I do understand that.

Lance N.: This upgrade will be completed by 11/05/2012 14:19:00 CST

Customer: sucks to be a sprint customer in my area

Lance N.: I do understand your situation. I am sorry for this issue

Customer: wait

Customer: the 5th or the 10th

Lance N.: Sure

Lance N.: Both are different. Let me explain.

Lance N.: The cell site upgrade will be completed on 11/05/2012 14:19:00 CST and the complete issue will be resolve by 11/10/2012 23:00:00 CST.

I would take that with a grain of salt. Is it only a single tower that's not letting you call/message?

How can i prove/show one tower "id" that may be the culprit? I posted that rough estimate map a few days ago a few posts up.

I'm not sure. Hopefully it's possible. I can identify the tower that I'm connected to through my knowledge of tower locations plus the dBm reading on my phone. For example, my phone will prefer a -97dBm signal at home over a -72dBm signal. On the rare occasion I see the reading in the -70s, I know I'm connected to my closest tower. And when I see the usual reading of -97, I know I'm connected to the better quality, but slightly further away tower. I can also tell by data speeds. The -97 tower gives me usual speeds of 0.90Mbps to 1.6Mbps. The -70 tower gives me usual speeds of 0.03Mbps and pings of about 1100. Obviously these aren't the best ways, but they work well for me, especially because I go to the same places every day.

Also becoming a Sponsor helps, as you can see where every Sprint cell site is, as well as the NV Completed sites. More info on that here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/