Big Red and Evil Empire lobby for less FCC control of spectrum

ATT and Verizon are lobbying hard to get a bill passed that will open up spectrum auctions more and allow the 2 largest cellular carriers the opportunity to move closer to a duopoly. The smaller carriers are doing their best to combat this bill and keep competition active for wireless service.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/08/att-and-verizon-lobby-for-less-fcc-spectrum-control/

Do you think the current spectrum auction format is fair for everyone? Or should it be less intrusive?

I'm definitely not a government control kind of guy...but I believe when it comes to spectrum, the government needs to set the rules in a way that the big two cannot just sweep in and dominate. It would be devastating to American consumers.

In the interest of competitions and fair markets, we need to prevent a big winner takes all scenario. Auctions to the highest bidder is not the right solution, :imo: , as it would guarantee the two biggest coffers would win all the spectrum.

I think if they do persist with uncontrolled auction scenarios, they then need to make some strong minimum coverage standards, especially with high standards for tertiary and rural markets. Because AT&T is sitting on gobs of unused secondary, tertiary and rural spectrum. They really just want to buy all this spectrum nationwide and deploy it only where and as needed in the Top 100 markets. It's nearly criminal. And I'm getting sick of it. Almost to the point I want to become a lobbyist for our cause! :bullhorn:

I agree, even though I am employed by the government, less involvement by the government is usually a good thing. One only needs to look at how AT&T and Verizon keep raising their rates and limiting services while Sprint and T-Mobile offer nationwide unlimited (sort of for tmo) at lower prices. If att and Verizon gobble up all the spectrum, they would be raising prices, limiting service and using the att death star to crush their puny opponents.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I am not a fan of big government myself, but I would like to see the government build the wireless infrastructure and allow companies to use the network for cell phone services. That way we can have current players exist among with new players that offer similar to European and the rest of the world plans that are non-contract with unsubsidized phones.

I am not a fan of big government myself, but I would like to see the government build the wireless infrastructure and allow companies to use the network for cell phone services. That way we can have current players exist among with new players that offer similar to European and the rest of the world plans that are non-contract with unsubsidized phones.

That would be awesome if something like that could get instituted, but I can only imagine the battles to get it off the ground and then the battles to keep it updated with new network technology...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

This is one of the few instances, that government control would be good for consumers. The wireless companies would have the same network and would then have to compete with each other directly to bring the customer the most value.

I thought cable tv prices were bad till I started examining cell phone plan prices. Cable companies can't hold a candle to cell phone service companies in charges and monthly costs.

If the FCC doesn't control how the auctions for spectrum are done, a wireless duopoly would exist that only the rich could afford. I couldn't stand at&t's monthly service costs, so that's why I switched to Sprint. Smaller carriers exist to keep the big carriers in check from gouging customers too much. The FCC must continue to control the auctions so at&t & Verizon won't cheat consumers like they want to.

Now Sprint and T-Mo are petitioning the FCC to dig deeper into the Verizon/CableCo deal. Sic em!

Delay Sought in Verizon, Cable AWS Deal

http://wirelessweek....-Deal-Business/

Thanks for the link. I was on the Colorado border most of the day today, so I wasn't hip to all the news. I hadn't heard about this latest development, yet.

I personally am not worried about the Verizon/Cableco deal. It's spectrum that's currently being unused. They aren't taking out a competitor (like the ATT/Tmo deal would have). However, if the FCC can find a legitimate reason to oppose the deal, then that's good with me.