GALAXY S3 BATTERY LIFE

purpleunicorn

I have had my S3 since July 1st and the battery life has been divine on WI-FI but on 3G it is average Today in that photo I had been toggling back and forth between 3G and WI-FI is anyone else's battery just average on 3G?

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

post-2889-13422398248895_thumb.jpg

Edited by purpleunicorn

I get good battery life out my GS3. I just get much better life out of my EVO LTE. Yet I still carry the GS3 as my daily device. I prefer it in every way, except battery life. The battery life is noticeably better than my GNex.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I get good battery life out my GS3. I just get much better life out of my EVO LTE. Yet I still carry the GS3 as my daily device. I prefer it in every way, except battery life. The battery life is noticeably better than my GNex.

Well my S3 is my primary phone as well and I guess the extra 100 mah don't really mean much huh?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

No way! I use the hell out of mine. Last forever. No mods or roms, rooted cleared most of the crap apps. FB, Weather, News updates every hour. I use it as my mouse, and today I watched Act of Valor on it. GPSed, NFC at a 7/11. Music to car... 20hrs... just plugged in.

What are you guys doing? Lol

No way! I use the hell out of mine. Last forever. No mods or roms, rooted cleared most of the crap apps. FB, Weather, News updates every hour. I use it as my mouse, and today I watched Act of Valor on it. GPSed, NFC at a 7/11. Music to car... 20hrs... just plugged in.

Wowwwww none of that.....maybe it's the 3G

Ya, but only when I'm home. 50% of the time today. I'll try 3G only tomorrow. Maybe it's that. Still.

How do you root and what are the benefits??

Its easy for the GS3, compared to some. But if it's your first time, read carefully. With root you get access to your system. This is needed for theming, mods, or to use apps that need access like a WiFi Hotspot app, or Titanium Backup. Unless you want to learn about Roms and Ginny pig your phone, keep your phone as is and just root if your going to.

Place to start...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1725395

[HOW TO] SGS3 LTE CWM Recovery and One Step Root

Awesome Battery Life!

I posted this in the main Galaxy S3 thread:

I'm pretty happy with my battery life - it gets me through the day. Make sure you don't have any partial wake locks keeping the phone from sleeping. Something I noticed first few days when I got the phone - my standby battery life was great in the morning until about lunch time, then it drained much faster in the afternoon. Turns out the stock Gallery app would try to do a sync at around lunch time, and it stayed awake the rest of the day.

So now after lunch, I'll go and manually close the program myself and battery has been better. I'll go home (about 10 hours off the charger) with 65-70% battery left, where previously I would have 45-50% battery left because of the Gallery app not allowing the phone to sleep. I don't use the phone much at work, maybe check facebook or Pulse newsreader here and there, but also at lunch time I'll probably check the internet or read news for about 30 minutes.

I get 18-20 hours of life out of the GS3 with moderate usage. But I get about 24-26 hours out of the EVO LTE with similar usage. And about 14-16 hours out of the GNex.

For me, heavy usage can really take a toll out of the GS3 more than the EVO. GS3 battery life is more than acceptable. But the EVO just wins on battery. I'm wondering if the increase in RAM is the making the difference in battery life.

I get 18-20 hours of life out of the GS3 with moderate usage. But I get about 24-26 hours out of the EVO LTE with similar usage. And about 14-16 hours out of the GNex.

For me, heavy usage can really take a toll out of the GS3 more than the EVO. GS3 battery life is more than acceptable. But the EVO just wins on battery. I'm wondering if the increase in RAM is the making the difference in battery life.

Could the EVO battery just be better than the S3's battery?

Could the EVO battery just be better than the S3's battery?

I don't know enough about batteries to say definitively, but I don't believe so. Its likely related to the devices themselves.

I don't know enough about batteries to say definitively, but I don't believe so. Its likely related to the devices themselves.

Hmm here in Dallas.....nothing yet...

Hmm here in Dallas.....nothing yet...

No batteries in Dallas or no GS3's? Did you post in the wrong thread?

I think the additional ram and the amoled screen on the GS3 makes the battery drain faster during usage vs the EVO LTE. Samsung claims amoled has power savings over traditional lcd screens, but it seems like that's only on black screens. For traditional web browsing and most apps battery usage seems worse with amoled.

• Like 1

I don't think so.

It's probably related to two things

1) SAMOLED display sucks more power.

2) EVO has more conservative power management settings.

It's pretty interesting to see the EVO just about shuts down radios at night - pretty awesome.

• Like 1

I don't think so.

It's probably related to two things

1) SAMOLED display sucks more power.

2) EVO has more conservative power management settings.

It's pretty interesting to see the EVO just about shuts down radios at night - pretty awesome.

When I let it just do automatic brightness the battery is much better

I stay in Automatic Brightness, except for the times I am outside for any length of time.

Robert

You would think it would get brighter when I go outside but it gets dimmer

It gets dimmer when you go outside? That's odd. My viper gets super bright when i go outside, sometimes too bright.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

I'm using my phone more lightly now...and I'll hit 24 hours with around 40% left in a few minutes. Then again, the phone has been on WiFi 95% of the time, not using GPS but for a few minutes, etc. So this is close to an ideal case...though I did watch an episode of Hak5 via YouTube yesterday at reasonable brightness and near full volume.

It almost feels like the battery on the phone just needed a few charges to condition itself, at which point battery life doing normal tasks will be in the 1+ day range, which is enough for me!

Yup, that always helps but the SAMOLED panel's power consumption isn't a direct function of its brightness - it just uses more power than LCD.

That was one of the drivers for going with pentile display - less battery usage.

Another interesting thing about SAMOLED is its issues with heat. Pretty common to run into auto dimming when using, say, GPS navigation. If it's very hot and you have the display on full brightness, it will reduce the brightness to manage display thermals to prevent damage.

Overall, I still prefer SAMOLED, even with its inharent disadvantages to LCD.... but they are worth noting.

Yup, that always helps but the SAMOLED panel's power consumption isn't a direct function of its brightness - it just uses more power than LCD.

That was one of the drivers for going with pentile display - less battery usage.

Another interesting thing about SAMOLED is its issues with heat. Pretty common to run into auto dimming when using, say, GPS navigation. If it's very hot and you have the display on full brightness, it will reduce the brightness to manage display thermals to prevent damage.

Overall, I still prefer SAMOLED, even with its inharent disadvantages to LCD.... but they are worth noting.

Wow. That's a smart display, lol. I'm liking this phone even more.