Discussion about frequency and its effect on range

Didnt I read 5 ghz for Sprint vs 10 ghz for others like Verizon?

From what I know and law of physics, lower ghz has further range. I must prefer this and so Sprint range will be further than Verizion also? My uneducated guess.

Edited by chong67

From what I know and law of physics, lower ghz has further range. I must prefer this and so Sprint range will be further than Verizion also? My uneducated guess.

No, Sprint LTE has 5 MHz carrier bandwidth, and VZW LTE has 10 MHz carrier bandwidth. So, that is bandwidth, not frequency. And Sprint is initially deploying LTE in PCS 1900 MHz spectrum, while VZW is initially deploying LTE in Upper 700 MHz spectrum.

AJ

Hahaha, just enough info to be dangerous!

No, probably what you're confusing is that Sprint has 5x5MHz Carriers for it's LTE vs 10x10 for Verizon. That is a statement of carrier bandwidth not operating frequency.

Sprint's frequency is 1900 MHz for it's LTE while Verizon is using 700MHz. Verizon's range should be better, depending on a variety of factors that have been mentioned here many times.

No, probably what you're confusing is that Sprint has 5x5MHz Carriers for it's LTE vs 10x10 for Verizon. That is a statement of carrier bandwidth not operating frequency.

Sprint's frequency is 1900 MHz for it's LTE while Verizon is using 700MHz. Verizon's range should be better, depending on a variety of factors that have been mentioned here many times.

Why is Sprint freq so high? That will not give good range right?

I am blessed and luckly that my HTC LTE can see 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz signal now. But I cant connect it far with the 5ghz signal. The 3D cant even do 5 ghz signal.

Edited by chong67

I am blessed and luckly that my HTC LTE can see 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz signal now. But I cant connect it far with the 5ghz signal. The 3D cant even do 5 ghz signal.

Wait what?

You realize 5 GHz is 5000 MHz right?

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

• Like 1

you are mixing 802.11n 5 GHz (WIFI) with LTE.

2.4 GHz and 5 GHz are both different freq of 802.11n, this has nothing to do with LTE.

Sprint's LTE will get built out using 1900MHz, but it will deploy 800MHz once iDEN dies down.

You're confusing WiFi frequencies with cellular frequencies.

Since Day One, Sprint has used 1900MHz for its network. Hence "Sprint PCS". Yes, the signal doesn't go as far as Verizon's 700MHz, ut Sprint spaces their towers more closely together, largely making up for this difference. Also, since signals don't travel as far, it's easier to add capacity in a precise manner on the higher frequency (where Sprint has more spectrum...generally 40MHz in a given market, with some notable exceptions).

Good rule of thumb: coverage per cell site is inversely related to frequency. Capacity is positively related to frequency...Sprint will have at most a single 5x5 LTE carrier in 800MHz SMR, while they'll eventually have multiple 5x5 carriers in 1900MHz, and they'll use one or more 20MHz carriers in 2600MHz (Clearwire) eventually. Verizon paid dearlly to get enough 700MHz to provide a 10x10MHz channel for LTE nationwide. But that's the extent of their LTE deployment until they turn on AWS. Sprint can match this 20MHz of capacity in 1900MHz as they see the need.

• Like 1

I think he is referring to WiFi... 5GHz WiFi is included in the LTEvo, the 3D only has 2.4GHz.

The GS3 also has 5GHz. Haven't played with it, but then again WiFi isn't very saturated in my area so I don't have issues with 20 neighbors using WiFi in the 2.4 frequency. Also I don't have a 5GHz router.

Wait what?

I'm assuming he is talking about wifi, I know that my router is capable of 2.4 & 5Ghz. Anyway, I dont know exactly why he mentioned it because most ISP's don't offer service fast enough to make any difference between the 2 different bandwidth's. The only reason it is becoming increasingly popular is because the channels are crowded, and the 5Ghz channel is less crowded and has theoretically higher transfer rates... though until home ISP's have over 100mb/s service, it will not make much difference (I don't think anyone will see a usable difference once speeds get that fast, lol)

I think he is referring to WiFi... 5GHz WiFi is included in the LTEvo, the 3D only has 2.4GHz.

The GS3 also has 5GHz. Haven't played with it, but then again WiFi isn't very saturated in my area so I don't have issues with 20 neighbors using WiFi in the 2.4 frequency. Also I don't have a 5GHz router.

I know this if off-topic, but my GS3 does not see 5GHz SIDs. I have a friend who has 5GHz router, and he broadcasts two SIDs, "abc" and "abc-5GHz", I was able to see and connect to abc, but phone doesn't even see 'abc-5GHz'

Somewhat related, is this bit from this Wikpedia article true? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_Nextel Scroll down to the "wireless networks" chart about halfway down. There you will see the source of my question - is Sprint really taking 3G (Evdo Rev.A) to the 800 mhz frequency this year, well in advance of taking LTE to 800 mhz in 2014? To be clear, I was already aware of the eventual migration of LTE from the current 1900 mhz to the future 800 mhz post-iden decommissioning, however, I was under the impression that 3G wouldn't be moved until LTE was, if at all.

That said, is that the reason 3G coverage is expected to expand "up to 20%?" I would imagine the substantially lower frequency would suddenly make 3G signal MUCH stronger and, presumably, notably faster when combined with the enhanced backhaul.

I think a light just clicked on somewhere deep inside my thick skull....I think I get it!

Somewhat related, is this bit from this Wikpedia article true? http://en.wikipedia....i/Sprint_Nextel Scroll down to the "wireless networks" chart about halfway down. There you will see the source of my question - is Sprint really taking 3G (Evdo Rev.A) to the 800 mhz frequency this year, well in advance of taking LTE to 800 mhz in 2014? To be clear, I was already aware of the eventual migration of LTE from the current 1900 mhz to the future 800 mhz post-iden decommissioning, however, I was under the impression that 3G wouldn't be moved until LTE was, if at all.

That said, is that the reason 3G coverage is expected to expand "up to 20%?" I would imagine the substantially lower frequency would suddenly make 3G signal MUCH stronger and, presumably, notably faster when combined with the enhanced backhaul.

I think a light just clicked on somewhere deep inside my thick skull....I think I get it!

As part of Network Vision, some cell sites will get a CDMA 1x Advanced (voice only, no EvDO) carrier. This is happening now. LTE in SMR will happen once iDEN is gone, so sometime next year. The point of 800MHz will be to give people extra coverage, more than about allowing for more capacity (though it will increase capacity). Better indoor signals and all that. By contrast, 1900MHz is where Sprint has, and will continue to have, capacity-focused 3G/4G, eventually augmented by Clearwire TD-LTE "Hot Zones" which trade coverage for capacity even further down the scale than 800 vs. 1900.

I know this if off-topic' date=' but my GS3 does not see 5GHz SIDs. I have a friend who has 5GHz router, and he broadcasts two SIDs, "abc" and "abc-5GHz", I was able to see and connect to abc, but phone doesn't even see 'abc-5GHz'[/quote']

My GS-III sees my 5GHz N router. I connect to it all the time. Does your friend have his 5GHz channel not broadcasting its SSID? Its a security setting.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

My GS-III sees my 5GHz N router. I connect to it all the time. Does your friend have his 5GHz channel not broadcasting its SSID? Its a security setting.

Yeah, my work iphone sees it fine, and can connect to it. but for some reason GS3 doesnt see it.

Split topic off from the speed test thread as it was off topic.

Sorry about that, didnt mean to go off on a tangent.

I broadcast both 2.4/5 GHz for Wifi and the 5 is terrible for penetration/reception especially between floors on small antenna phones. There was an ICS power issue for 5 as well on the E4GT.

As part of Network Vision, some cell sites will get a CDMA 1x Advanced (voice only, no EvDO) carrier. This is happening now. LTE in SMR will happen once iDEN is gone, so sometime next year. The point of 800MHz will be to give people extra coverage, more than about allowing for more capacity (though it will increase capacity). Better indoor signals and all that. By contrast, 1900MHz is where Sprint has, and will continue to have, capacity-focused 3G/4G, eventually augmented by Clearwire TD-LTE "Hot Zones" which trade coverage for capacity even further down the scale than 800 vs. 1900.

So then the chart is incorrect - 3G will NOT be migrating to the 800 mhz frequency this year as part of NV?

The more advanced RRUs mounted on the antennas could improve your 3G coverage. Otherwise it will have to be next year's 800mhz LTE deployment that will fill in those spots.

I am looking at the updated map of Sprint coverage.

I also look at my parent place in Manvel, Tx and I cant even Sprint signal and have to be on roaming and my 3D phone drain in 2 hours.

Now, it changed from Roaming to LTE coverage. Can this be true?

That tells me LTE signal (orange color) can go very far then 4G WiMax?

Or perhaps its too early to tell.

I am looking at the updated map of Sprint coverage.

I also look at my parent place in Manvel, Tx and I cant even Sprint signal and have to be on roaming and my 3D phone drain in 2 hours.

Now, it changed from Roaming to LTE coverage. Can this be true?

That tells me LTE signal (orange color) can go very far then 4G WiMax?

Or perhaps its too early to tell.

Yes it can be true, the new design with remote radio units makes signal go about 20% more than old system.I'm seeing this in other places as way.less roaming costs for sprint.