Network Vision/LTE - San Antonio market

flyer8493

Unless the site was a GMO (or in the IBEZ) then yes the equipment is already there. If you look at the spotting guides and then look at some of your local sites you should be able to confirm this.

You must not have realized where you are posting...this is the San Antonio market thread. It is entirely affected by the IBEZ.

I really wish I had the extra cash to be a premier sponsor so I could get all that great info. In any case I'll just have to wait but I do have one question. Without getting into specifics is it safe to assume that the equipment is in place already?

I would assume this is so due to the large number of accepted B26 upgrades back in October in the NV Site Acceptance Report thread

You must not have realized where you are posting...this is the San Antonio market thread. It is entirely affected by the IBEZ.

I would assume this is so due to the large number of accepted B26 upgrades back in October in the NV Site Acceptance Report thread

Back in October the site acceptances were only for 800 CDMA which I thought was completely separate from 800 LTE (band 26).

No.

San Antonio is in the IBEZ which is the reason why Sprint had to file a waiver in the first place.

San Antonio is in the IBEZ which is the reason why Sprint had to file a waiver in the first place.

No it's not.

That is the map of the Mexican IBEZ. 

The FCC filing was with regards to public safety holdouts. 

Specifically, Sprint states that thirteen public safety licensees required to be retuned from the “old NPSPAC band” (821-824/866-869 MHz) have not yet successfully completed their retunes (collectively, San Antonio NPSPAC Licensees, and each a San Antonio NPSPAC Licensee).

"Many 800 MHz licensees along the U.S.-Mexico border are required to relocate to new frequencies as part of the transition from the current band plan to the new band plan. This includes virtually all licensees operating within the Sharing Zone in the NPSPAC regions bordering Mexico and licensees operating outside of the Sharing Zone in the NPSPAC regions bordering Mexico. The affected regions are Southern California (NPSPAC Region 5), Arizona (NPSPAC Region 3), New Mexico (NPSPAC Region 29), Texas – El Paso (NPSPAC Region 50), and Texas – San Antonio (NPSPAC Region 53)."

http://www.800ta.org/content/resources/mexicoborder.asp#whoneeds

The reason why Sprint has filed for the waiver is because of the fact that the entire market does not physically fall within that boundary as you clearly showed us. But the city itself has fallen within the region that is caught up in the IBEZ

To clarify...the San Antonio metro area Sprint NV sites have 800 MHz RRU's and panels. CDMA 800 is already going live. San Antonio is outside the IBEZ and received full installs. It is not like East Michigan or San Diego where only 1900 was installed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else seeing slow speeds in town? For the past few weeks I have been constantly getting no more than 8-10 down whereas I used to get upwards of 40-50 especially at home. I called Sprint and supposedly they put in a ticket for the tower by my house but I have no way to verify it.

Is anyone else seeing slow speeds in town? For the past few weeks I have been constantly getting no more than 8-10 down whereas I used to get upwards of 40-50 especially at home. I called Sprint and supposedly they put in a ticket for the tower by my house but I have no way to verify it.

There are lots of Clearwire B41 LTE offline around the country. We have seen a lot of reports nationwide. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Using Nexus 5 on Tapatalk

Thanks for the information. I believe several weeks ago my family and I noticed that we had no data connection around town and when we attempted to call Sprint there was an automated message stating they were aware of a network outage. Since then I can latch onto band 41 but as I mentioned the speeds are nowhere near what they used to be.Also, is there a specific forum for such topics?

Thanks for the information. I believe several weeks ago my family and I noticed that we had no data connection around town and when we attempted to call Sprint there was an automated message stating they were aware of a network outage. Since then I can latch onto band 41 but as I mentioned the speeds are nowhere near what they used to be.Also, is there a specific forum for such topics?

Typically these are discussed on the market level.

• 2 weeks later...
a8990340fb9195a07df5713bb5da12e0.jpg I noticed today that I was staying on LTE at work and I got into field test mode and noticed I am on B26. I for once wish I had an android phone so I could give you more cell site info, but this is a first spotting on B26 in San Antonio!!
  • Like 3

Well I would assume that since they are just lighting the first towers up they will still need to do some fine tuning. By the way, thanks for posting this news. I'll definitely be on the lookout now for other places in town that might be broadcasting on b26 . Also, I wish downtown had b26 already. I was down there last weekend and while inside a restaurant I was stuck on 1xrtt but I was able to get LTE once outside.

Christmas just came early!!! Wouldn't you know it, I just latched on to b26 right now at work. I'm back on b41 now but I was able to do a speed test and I was able to get 4.66/5.37! Attached is a screenshot from the LTE engineering screen. I wish there was a way to stay on b26 without disabling it since my speeds are alot better.

e2a4b2476ac473475835788b4c20d80d.jpg

• Like 2

Since b26 is relatively new to the area does it still need to be optimized? I've noticed that even if I can latch onto b26 I still end up going to 3G. I've also noticed my phone will latch onto b41 even if the b26 signal is better. Is this expected?

Since b26 is relatively new to the area does it still need to be optimized? I've noticed that even if I can latch onto b26 I still end up going to 3G. I've also noticed my phone will latch onto b41 even if the b26 signal is better. Is this expected?

Yes, it can take several months for sites to be fully optimized. There's a shortage of qualified engineers, and a surplus of sites waiting to optimized.

• 2 months later...

Anyone noticing random 4G outages? For the past couple weeks I will randomly lose any LTE signal B25, B26, and B41 and get dropped down to 3G. I'm currently stuck on CDMArevA when 20 minutes ago I had B41. Hoping my phone isn't messing up :/

Anyone noticing random 4G outages? For the past couple weeks I will randomly lose any LTE signal B25, B26, and B41 and get dropped down to 3G. I'm currently stuck on CDMArevA when 20 minutes ago I had B41. Hoping my phone isn't messing up :/

I've noticed the same thing but it varies from day to day. It's really annoying and it drains my battery like crazy. I first noticed a few months ago where for a few days I had no b41 at all at home. It still occasionally happens and at work as well. Hopefully it's just the towers being optimized.