LTE IS LIVE!

Zerovoltz

Houston here and been getting LTE for the last 3-4 hours

Maybe they are just testing...

6fozyw.jpg

3hait.jpg

2w6e4aq.jpg

Dude, Im not far from you and I know of two towers that were getting LTE near my location and I have nothing still. I wonder if I need to restart my phone or something....

I hope it does go live a lil early. I have been all around Houston today just seeing if I would get an LTE connection,and nothing. But I did get eHRPD or whatever it is and still have that here at home. Its the first my phone has ever gotten that. Don't really know what it meansthough.

eHRPD is just the EVDO software overlay that allows smooth handoffs between 3G and LTE. It is the 3G connection being run through the LTE hub. Sometimes it is faster than the legacy EVDO, sometimes not.

Sweet!! At work, I get 3G, but the speeds still suck donkey's.....Im hoping that the LTE is as good or better than what the 4G WiMax was at my work (Penn Machine). I use Slacker radio and on 3G, its not even useable. This anticipation better be worth it lmao!!!

Houston is pretty close to donkey shows...

• Like 6

Toggle to CDMA then back to LTE/CDMA. If that doesn't work try toggling airplane mode.

Dude, Im not far from you and I know of two towers that were getting LTE near my location and I have nothing still. I wonder if I need to restart my phone or something....

Make sure you are on CDMA/LTE and try toggling airplane mode on & off

Houston is pretty close to donkey shows...

"You boys like Mexico?"

• Like 3

eHRPD is just the EVDO software overlay that allows smooth handoffs between 3G and LTE. It is the 3G connection being run through the LTE hub. Sometimes it is faster than the legacy EVDO, sometimes not.

Thanks for explaining this to me

• Like 1

Anyone testing this in San Antonio? I only have a 3d, but I am hoping that when they flip the LTE switch, they will flip the "better 3g" switch too. I get great WIMAX around the city (avg 4 down 1 up), but if I drop to 3g, it is usually 45-80 kbps.

Anyone testing this in San Antonio? I only have a 3d, but I am hoping that when they flip the LTE switch, they will flip the "better 3g" switch too. I get great WIMAX around the city (avg 4 down 1 up), but if I drop to 3g, it is usually 45-80 kbps.

Just picked up an EVO LTE tonight, no sign of LTE at my house, but I'm connected to a 3G tower that is listed as having LTE deployed. I haven't driven around yet to see if I have any better luck elsewhere.

If people at current LTE sites are averaging about 10mbps down and up (just rounding) with virtually nobody on the network, when it eventually is packed should we expect to see atrocious speeds like are now on 3G (under 500kbps down) or is the technology even better that it should always stay above a few mbps/sec?

These speeds are really exciting to see but if in two years we're back under 1mbps down what difference would it really make? I don't know much about the technical side of all this so I'm hoping that LTE will handle crowded networks better.

Sprint better still be testing LTE in some of these cities because it seems like some of these speeds are pretty atrocious for a empty LTE network. I am hoping to see 10-15 Mbps avg speeds everywhere.

What app do u use to take screenshot.

I am waiting for LTE too in south ATL.

And if you have the S3. Karate chop the left side of the screen and wipe right. And tada 'screenshot' Ha! Who thinks of this stuff? Now... Off to delete the 5 screen shots I just took.

• Like 1

If people at current LTE sites are averaging about 10mbps down and up (just rounding) with virtually nobody on the network, when it eventually is packed should we expect to see atrocious speeds like are now on 3G (under 500kbps down) or is the technology even better that it should always stay above a few mbps/sec?

These speeds are really exciting to see but if in two years we're back under 1mbps down what difference would it really make? I don't know much about the technical side of all this so I'm hoping that LTE will handle crowded networks better.

The 10mbps speeds are due to the limitations of 5x5 carriers. The back haul (microwave and fiber) can scale with increasing demand much easier than t1. I foresee much fewer issues maintaining their lte data speeds because of the much more superior back haul that supports it and relatively ample amounts of spectrum to add new carriers into when necessary.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Some of you are off base. Sprint's 5x5 carrier can have speeds up to 20-30Mbps. Some people have reported really high speeds. One thing you have to realize, and I keep saying over and over again, is LTE speeds are very signal strength dependent. Even on Verizon.

I was testing my new Verizon MiFi yesterday and hit only 14Mbps as a top speed. I was averaging 8-10Mbps. But I wasn't in strong signal areas. Just mid signal and marginal signals.

Also, Sprint has an infant LTE network. It is not fully configured, and speeds may actually be core related and not signal related. Also, most testing I have seen the past 24 hours has been on the EVO LTE and maybe it is device related.

Additionally, you guys need to shop around for new testing servers in Speed Test...or maybe use Root Metrics speed tester. LTE uses different routes to the Internet than the things you have previously used. The servers being used may not be ideal for testing LTE in your market. Try a few servers and compare the differences. RootMetrics is typically the best for this because they will try several servers near the backbone entry point automatically.

This also happens with 3G Network Vision sites. People would complain that their sites felt faster, but were not testing fast. I suggested switching testing servers and all of a sudden, their upgraded site magically was improved. ;)

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 5

I have prepared my body for this!

I don't have LTE in Atlanta yet, but my phone is just waiting for it. I do however have a new, upgraded, 3g tower. Managing about 1.8-2.0 down at work where before I could expect no better than 400. It's only a matter of time!

Additionally, to those of you who think that Sprint's 5x5 carrier is going to fill up so fast...consider this. Sprint's LTE network is being deployed much denser than Verizon.

Verizon has one 10x10 LTE carrier, versus Sprint having one 5x5 carrier. Verizon can handle double the users with 10MHz channels versus Sprint's 5MHz channels. However, Verizon has double the customers. So things are roughly equal in the ability for Sprint to serve its customers similarly to Verizon before even considering site density.

Since Sprint is deploying its LTE on PCS spectrum, they have to put it on double to triple the amount of sites Verizon does with one 700 carrier. So over the same coverage area of one Verizon 700 cell, Sprint will actually have more capacity than Verizon does now.

All this panic about how Sprint LTE is going to clog up is not founded in facts. You will see LTE speeds stay pretty consistent. Also, Sprint has a lot of options for more capacity when its needed. They have more PCS spectrum for another 5x5 in many markets. They also have LTE 800 and Clearwire LTE coming online as relief valves.

We don't need any Chicken Littles running around here. LTE is coming live. This is a good thing. This is not the end of the world as we know it. This is the beginning of the world as we always wanted it.

• Like 16

Thanks for the info Robert and I certainly didn't mean to come off that Sprint LTE was going to quickly fill up and become unusable. I was just curious how relevant these speeds posted now are to the fact that it is a pretty empty network. It sounds like that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Let me ask my question in another way and I'm just curious to hear your thoughts. Do you think the speeds people receive in 2-3 years from LTE after the network is more developed and more crowded would be similar (or better) than what they are going to receive now? I realize that there will be optimization along the way but also the network will get more crowded.

Just so you know, I'm one of those in the opinion of if you can get a steady 5mbps up and down you really don't need anything more.

Sprint must be continuing to work on the network, This morning, when I toggled my airplane mode, I connected LTE to the two nearest towers, but it quickly went to eHRPD and have not been able to connect LTE since. This was at 151st and Nall in OP.

We don't need any Chicken Littles running around here. LTE is coming live. This is a good thing. This is not the end of the world as we know it. This is the beginning of the world as we always wanted it.

S4GRU quote of the year!

• Like 6