Network Vision/LTE - South Carolina Market (Columbia/Greenville/Spartanburg)

wyndd123

So I bought a spectrum analyzer and checked how bad congestion is around town B26 in Anderson is full at peak times confirmed with speed test down 0.23mbps fail on uploads on B25 also full (This is on Clemson Blvd area of Anderson North Anderson) speed test confirmed 0.10mbps and uploads fail 60% of times so 5Mhz is not cutting it around here and I have talked to a lot of people and they are unhappy with their service but here is the kicker T mobile has just cut on Band 12 in our area and running at 10Mhz in rural areas in Anderson 40Mhz speed tests in Anderson 73mbps down 10up on B12 rural 21mbps down 8 up this out blows AT&T and Verizon sometimes during congestion so kinda disappointed for Sprint atm in Anderson County area and the work that has been going on my tower has been Tmobile adding Band 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprint fell very behind in adding more band 41 were places are congested.

It's not that they didn't install any B41 in South Carolina congested or not. It is like the whole market was put on the back burner like West PA and East Iowa.

In Myrtle we have about ~47 sites online w bands 25/26 live and about ~12 3g GMO, and one band 41 install(Jan. 1) awaiting some attention. 800MHz work was recently concluded last fall with the site at the jetport MYR having moved. This covers about 100 klicks of coast from the NC line to just south of Georgetown and west along the 501 corridor to Florence with about 5 stragglers outside of that. Our first band 25 site went online a bit over two years ago. We are wrapping up Network Vision here hopefully soon. 

Sources: Premiere map, logs, Sensorly, extra 5k miles on my lease.

So I bought a spectrum analyzer and checked how bad congestion is around town B26 in Anderson is full at peak times confirmed with speed test down 0.23mbps fail on uploads on B25 also full (This is on Clemson Blvd area of Anderson North Anderson) speed test confirmed 0.10mbps and uploads fail 60% of times so 5Mhz is not cutting it around here and I have talked to a lot of people and they are unhappy with their service but here is the kicker T mobile has just cut on Band 12 in our area and running at 10Mhz in rural areas in Anderson 40Mhz speed tests in Anderson 73mbps down 10up on B12 rural 21mbps down 8 up this out blows AT&T and Verizon sometimes during congestion so kinda disappointed for Sprint atm in Anderson County area and the work that has been going on my tower has been Tmobile adding Band 12

Cool what model did you get? I generally roll band 25 only here, 26 is a tar swamp. I built an antenna array at home that nets me a better signal, so my tests are not as bad, but that tells you the length folks go to get a signal. Tmo does not seem to have carrier aggregation live here yet but they run in the high teens generally on throughput. We have 20MHz FD of band 4 and 20MHz of band 5 here. I am unable to locate and Band 2 LTE with a few devices so I imagine that will take a bit to show up. ATT is steadier now that they added more macros and bands available for use, VZW has had Horry county covered in LTE since 2013, they added band 4 here a year or two back and are slowing down a bit, but they have been adding small cells recently and added many macros last year.

• Like 1

Sorry for the late reply I usually see if anything more develops over a few week span I mean I would be amazed if I could just see one B41 site cuts on I mean u can look at SC in whole 25/27 everywhere except some places that are 3G only due to being a very very rural tower one example type in Anderson SC go down south towards Starr and that is the last 3G only site left in the county 26 is strong I barely see any 3G anymore but I mean I find it odd and if there is some kind of restriction in place cause right when you get to the GA and NC state line on 85 B41 just stops and the only town in SC that had 41 is rock hill and that is a Charlotte Metro market so is there a block for 2.5Ghz in the whole state of SC I did see someone say the Myrtle beach area has a 41 site I mean there is only now 2 major providers for backhaul in SC now and that is AT&T and Spectrum since TWC is gone out of the midlands and coastal areas now and FYI B12 is full powered now but here is a kicker my T-Mobile phone dropped to Edge from a band 12 and my sprint phone stayed on B26 with a constant 4 to 5mbps down I mean just to be honest I think the upstate market is ready for VoLTE

Edited by jimmyray1990

But I just want to also note it seems B26 just got fully optimized at the end of December of last year and the SBA tech says it's up to sprint as most of their towers in Upstate are B41 ready SBA towers as with my tower the panels are there but all pointed down which is kinda sad which he said they where installed in NV upgrades when adding B26 he said at full power and pointed outwards would cover 85 from MM 11 to MM 2 which is there next tower which has B41 equipped but pointed down position which will cover a lot of Lake hartwell area

Edited by jimmyray1990

• 3 weeks later...

Okay what is up with sprint I went into Georgia today 2 miles in bam hit Band 41 along I 85 and even in the little town of Lavonia GA which is a hick town and they have 2xCA and on B25 they have 10Mhz and you back into South Carolina back on Slow Band 25/26 with 5MHz does sprint just not have the spectrum in SC I mean a small town less than 500 has 41 and I had it all the way to Commerce Ga which already had 41 which is also 2xCA now

I went roaming today down towards Elberton GA today and saw this 22d6b494aa004a6ac27349f6c570a7c8.jpg Extended LTE in VZW did a speed test e58932f2a9dd79612a76cdc9ffd67933.jpg and then looked at the Band which is 17 does VZW run on Band 17? 43d9f7a14ac4338bef164eded30edee2.jpg

When I did the speed test it was connected to Sprint for voice but in Field test still showed Band 17

Edited by jimmyray1990

I went roaming today down towards Elberton GA today and saw this 22d6b494aa004a6ac27349f6c570a7c8.jpg Extended LTE in VZW did a speed test e58932f2a9dd79612a76cdc9ffd67933.jpg and then looked at the Band which is 17 does VZW run on Band 17? 43d9f7a14ac4338bef164eded30edee2.jpg

When I did the speed test it was connected to Sprint for voice but in Field test still showed Band 17

No, AT&T runs on B17

That is strange I know the usual way on my iPhone I find out if I am on VzW I will dail a number wrong and get the VZW message to check my number but in that area I was connected to VZW on 1x and field test was giving me Band 17 for Data and those where the speeds I was getting with that I was able to load Facebook look at webpages when before when it said 1x it would not do anything at all

But I am gonna take my S7 edge down there and see if it is just a Software glitch or is it really running on two networks CDMA for VZW and AT&T just for data I know I have seen this in a place like Franklin NC where 1x was VZW and LTE was using US Cellular but they are both CDMA so my S7 was switching like crazy between the two

• 1 month later...

This is AT&T LTE roaming. It has been reported by several other people.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep.  I've been getting solid B41 in the Harbison area for the last 3 weeks.  I also got some downtown for the first time this morning!  Hopefully B41 will be expanded more downtown via the densification plans.

My biggest gripe now with sprint is that in my office building downtown I get solid B25 coverage, but the bandwidth is horrid, usually below 1Mbps.  I know B26 is present, because when I go a little bit deeper into the building, B25 drops out and the phone grabs B26.  The funny thing is B26 has better bandwidth, usually 3-5 Mbps.

I wish there was some way to force the phone to prefer B26.

Yep. I've been getting solid B41 in the Harbison area for the last 3 weeks. I also got some downtown for the first time this morning! Hopefully B41 will be expanded more downtown via the densification plans.

My biggest gripe now with sprint is that in my office building downtown I get solid B25 coverage, but the bandwidth is horrid, usually below 1Mbps. I know B26 is present, because when I go a little bit deeper into the building, B25 drops out and the phone grabs B26. The funny thing is B26 has better bandwidth, usually 3-5 Mbps.

I wish there was some way to force the phone to prefer B26.

I think the word you're looking for is throughput, not bandwidth (in most markets B25 is 5x5+5x5, 10x10 of even greater whereas B26 is always limited to 5x5 or 3x3.

What device do you have?

I think the word you're looking for is throughput, not bandwidth (in most markets B25 is 5x5+5x5, 10x10 of even greater whereas B26 is always limited to 5x5 or 3x3.

What device do you have?

Bandwidth, Throughput, Billput, whatever you call it, my point is that Band 25 in my office in downtown Columbia is glacial which seems needless considering Band 26 is available and offers better performance at this particular location.

Currently I have a Moto G5 plus, but have gotten similar results with a Moto G4 plus and HTC Bolt.

• Like 1

Way I have seen B26 work in SC is if you are near a tower u will get B25 the further away you get then u will pick up B26 which I have seen around here in the upstate B26 is faster than 25 some areas 25 crawls but still won't boot u to B26 so in cases like that I just force my phone down to 3G to get over 1mbps cause when 25 is congested it goes down to 0.5mbps to timeouts

Bandwidth, Throughput, Billput, whatever you call it, my point is that Band 25 in my office in downtown Columbia is glacial which seems needless considering Band 26 is available and offers better performance at this particular location.

Currently I have a Moto G5 plus, but have gotten similar results with a Moto G4 plus and HTC Bolt.

Someone else with more expertise regarding android might be able to chime in, but I think that if you call Sprint and get your MSL code, you can change band priority on your phone…

Someone else with more expertise regarding android might be able to chime in, but I think that if you call Sprint and get your MSL code, you can change band priority on your phone…

Yeah it's in there but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't it will still connect to 25 regardless what u set 26 as 1 and 25 as 2

Thanks for the suggestion RAV.  I set my priority to 26-1, 41-2, 25-3, 12-4.  (I assume 12 is in there for roaming purposes?)

We'll see if this makes much of a difference.

Thanks for the suggestion RAV. I set my priority to 26-1, 41-2, 25-3, 12-4. (I assume 12 is in there for roaming purposes?)

We'll see if this makes much of a difference.

Yep. 2/4/5/12 (and maybe 17) are in there for roaming purposes. If you want to prioritize that I'd probably say 4>2>5>12/17.