Network Vision/LTE - South Carolina Market (Columbia/Greenville/Spartanburg)

wyndd123

You are getting awesome speeds. 23Mbps! I just think that in measuring internet speeds, megabits per second is the standard. In measuring file download speed, we look at kilobytes per second or megabytes per second because we know how large the file we are downloading is.

It's about twice as fast as my internet at home. Ridiculous.

You can use Bytes over Bits for your personal use. But please don't post screen shots here in Bytes. It confuses people, because everyone else posts in bits. And it gives the impression that Sprint's speeds are slow, when in reality 23Mbps is a very good result on a 5MHz carrier. And I can tell you everyone who has ever posted here a screen shot from another provider did so using bits. Thanks.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

As Robert asks, Robert shall receive.

Didn't mean to cause any confusion.

Didn't mean to cause any confusion.

I know you didn't. I'd prefer to use bytes, myself. But since the world has accepted the industry's push to use bits, we would be the only one using bytes.

It pains me that my 100Mbps home internet is really just moving a file at 12.5 megabytes every second. If people really knew that their internet is moving about 1/8 the speed they think it is, they may demand more from their ISP's/wireless providers.

• Like 1

I know you didn't. I'd prefer to use bytes, myself. But since the world has accepted the industry's push to use bits, we would be the only one using bytes.

It pains me that my 100Mbps home internet is really just moving a file at 12.5 megabytes every second. If people really knew that their internet is moving about 1/8 the speed they think it is, they may demand more from their ISP's/wireless providers.

That's exactly why they did it. All about the $$$$. They played off the fact that 99% of people don't know the difference between a "MB" and a "Mb".

All I know is I want Google Fiber. Columbia SC was actually in the running to get it for a the first couple months of Google's search for a city to start it in.

Also, I have a question for you Robert. On the tower I pulled the 23Mb down from, there are standard antennas in the Alpha and beta sectors, but the Gamma is different from the other two.

post-15449-139161257068_thumb.jpg

On the bottom rack, the one on the far side is the one in question. Can't see much of it, but can see just the bottom corner of it.

It's shorter and wider than other Sprint Antennas I've seen. I don't have a better picture of it, but can get one later today if it's unclear what I'm asking.

Any idea why that one could be different?

Thank you for all the hard work you put in, seriously. You're awesome.

Edit: I can't edit my posts from the tapatalk app any longer, would that be an issue from their end, or S4GRU's end? If it's on tapatalk's end I'll file a bug report with them.

Sent from my Rooted HTC ONE running ViperOne 3.5.

So I am not seeing any 800 on my HTC One in the areas of Columbia that are supposed to have 800. I am using Signal Check pro with the stock 4.4.2 ROM. Any ideas?

That's because the HTC One isn't able to operate on the 800mHz frequency. You'd need the HTC ONE MAX or the LG G2 - might be a few others now - to get the 800 signal.

Also, how are you on 4.4.2? Did Sprint roll out Kit Kat for us quietly? Or you on a custom ROM?

Edit: Sprint started the manual update to 4.4.2 process. Learn something new everyday.

http://androidandme.com/2014/02/news/sprint-htc-one-android-4-4-2-update-available-for-manual-pull/

That's exactly why they did it. All about the $$$$. They played off the fact that 99% of people don't know the difference between a "MB" and a "Mb".

All I know is I want Google Fiber. Columbia SC was actually in the running to get it for a the first couple months of Google's search for a city to start it in.

Also, I have a question for you Robert. On the tower I pulled the 23Mb down from, there are standard antennas in the Alpha and beta sectors, but the Gamma is different from the other two.

uploadfromtaptalk1391612568872.jpg

On the bottom rack, the one on the far side is the one in question. Can't see much of it, but can see just the bottom corner of it.

It's shorter and wider than other Sprint Antennas I've seen. I don't have a better picture of it, but can get one later today if it's unclear what I'm asking.

Any idea why that one could be different?

Thank you for all the hard work you put in, seriously. You're awesome.

Edit: Can edit posts after a reboot. Weird. Forget I said anything. :P

Well, this is what happend when I edit from tapatalk.

Mods, delete if you wish.

Thank you.

I thought that was for 800 LTE.  Its clearly states in the Specsheet that the HTC One will do CDMA 1x at 800.

From the FCC's testing and approval of the Sprint Variant, only the only LTE spectrum is the 1900mHz.

Can see this under Frequency bands, LTE Band 25: 1852.5 ~ 1912.5.

Sprint didn't start having tri-band devices until the One Max and Nexus 5. Anything older than those 2 phones will not operate on the 800mHz frequencies.

onesprinteng.jpg

Image from:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/22/htc-one-sprint-fcc/

Okay Idk why my post was removed, but whatever. JONBOY345, you forgot about the LG G2. It's also Tri-band. Just got the Sprint Spark update pushed to my phone last night.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Because your post violated the rules:  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1197-s4gru-posting-guidelines-aka-the-rulez/

Robert

• Like 1

Didn't realize the rules were updated to include the bit about speed tests. I was just doing it sarcastically, but I see where that would be a problem. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Didn't realize the rules were updated to include the bit about speed tests. I was just doing it sarcastically, but I see where that would be a problem. I apologize for the inconvenience.

It's something we have been posting warnings about for the past 3 months or so. We only recently updated the rules to reflect the change.

Okay Idk why my post was removed, but whatever. JONBOY345, you forgot about the LG G2. It's also Tri-band. Just got the Sprint Spark update pushed to my phone last night.

I didn't forget about the LG G2, If you look back a page when I first responded to iden that the One Max and G2 both supported the 800mHz band.

If anything my service had gotten worse. Idk if they're finally doing towers near West End Ave or not, but the past week my service has plummeted to below dialup speed and it's really grating on my nerves.

Now the snow is making it even worse lol

More than likely they are working on towers still. I'm not using a single band device so I don't know if it hurts not getting band 25. I know my house is in a "fair lte" area, at least that's what sprints coverage map says, but I have been told that the maps a very optimistic on coverage.

Sent from my LG G2 on the Now Network

• Like 1

post-12104-139257776699_thumb.jpg

Was at Wal-Mart today, -90 ish dBm. I guess that's better than 3g. I wonder if the tower just hasn't had backhaul yet, also if a tower dose not have back haul will it have a stronger signal(more range) once it has full back haul and calibrated?

Sent from my LG G2 on the Now Network

I've used all four carriers within the last 6 months and I have to say sprint is half as fast as the other three on average. I'm not complaining because I love the framily pricing and the coverage blows T-Mobile out of the water. Especially inside.... I wonder if Columbia is over loaded all ready?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

They don't have an the bands up yet, and not everyone has Tri-band devices. When the adoption rate of those increases, and the other bands are added speeds should level out.

I'm in Anderson and the fastest I've gotten from an LTE zone is this

post-22853-139327578919_thumb.jpg

That's a relatively weak signal too. It was over on Whitehall Rd I believe. Heading towards Centerville.