Network Vision/LTE - South Carolina Market (Columbia/Greenville/Spartanburg)

wyndd123

In Raleigh, we have had eHRPD on and off for a few weeks. Currently we're at EVDO Rev. Anyone know what that's all about? Probably meaningless as well.

When I left town this morning it was eHRPD and was yesterday too. I flew through Charlotte today and eHRPD was on there too.

On my way home from work today, I passed the tower by my place, as I always do. I noticed that my phone had zero bars, and switched to roaming. There were men working up on the tower, and as I passed the site, I saw boxes with Ericsson on them. They were new panels! I didn't get a chance to stop and ask the men what they were doing, but given that I had no signal and the tower was offline, I'd imagine it was for Sprint! Coincidentally, eHRPD became active here at the end of last week. Would this signify the start of NV in Columbia?? I hope so!! Here is a picture of the tower that the men were installing the new panels on. You can see the cables running down the side, and they were working on the 3rd level down:

rsz_1img_20121024_181214_237.jpg

• Like 3

On top the storage place? I'll be by there tomorrow, might be able to check it out. Doubtful its NV though as I don't see that starting here until late next year.

Yeah, that's the tower. I just find it coincidental that I'm roaming where I normally get full signal, and then I see the men working, replacing the panels and seeing Ericsson logos on the boxes. Could be wrong, but the timing is indicative of something going on.

Could be a backhaul upgrade in preparation for NV. Or temporary upgrades hard to say. That tower is pretty massive though, I would think they would be on site preparing well in advance with a drop container full of cable rolls and new equipment.

I though NV is South Carolina was going to be Alcatel/Lucent?

At first, I understood that as, "I thought Nevada is South Carolina, was going to be Alcatel/Lucent?" and thought, "Huh?" but now I know what you meant. :wacko:

Couldn't check it out because of time but there were definitely 4+ guys up there working on equipment and Sprint signal is definitely down. Saw a work trailer and what looked like some newer panels but it was hard to say.

• Like 1

Couldn't check it out because of time but there were definitely 4+ guys up there working on equipment and Sprint signal is definitely down. Saw a work trailer and what looked like some newer panels but it was hard to say.

Well, signal came back up on Halloween afternoon around 4 pm. Nothing really new, just slower speeds than it was before it went down. Was getting 1.5-2.3 Mbps consistently all day, but since service was restored, it has been averaging 0.15-0.60 Mbps.

Well, signal came back up on Halloween afternoon around 4 pm. Nothing really new, just slower speeds than it was before it went down. Was getting 1.5-2.3 Mbps consistently all day, but since service was restored, it has been averaging 0.15-0.60 Mbps.

Slight update...

Speeds are blazing fast now, just had a 2.3 Mbps DL speed. This is usually not the case on a Friday evening when everyone is out and about congesting the network. Other than that, nothing really out of the ordinary. I'm seeing more tower work going on around Columbia, at least 3 I know of right now that are currently getting worked on. Not sure if it's for Sprint or not though.

eHRPD spotted in Columbia

Pretty much the entire state of SC is eHRPD now (who knows, maybe the whole SE US now). Actually, I had it all the way from Columbia, SC up to Chesapeake, VA when I went a few weeks ago for a meeting for work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
I know that they have started work in Myrtle Beach how long would take them to get to Columbia.I have not saw any tickets for them I work for 811 only asking

They are just starting to get things rolling in the South Carolina market. I bet they are working on permitting now. We know they are beginning in Greenwood, but it should spread around the market pretty quickly. I'm guessing work will begin around Columbia in the next 60-90 days.

As for USA Dig tickets, they may not show up in the name of Sprint or Alcatel Lucent, but rather a subcontractor. Let us know if you start seeing tickets for trenching around any cell towers. Thanks.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I see as of today from sprints web site that Anderson, and Spartanburg are underway with NV and LTE. I'm guessing that Greenville's network is being built as well, or is'nt far behind since Greenville is between both of these counties hear in the upstate. I just hope to have at least NV by mid March since our baby is due at this time. I can share Pictures / video's faster then! :lol: , hopefully no more connection time outs , and no network busy screens. In Northern Greenville we have some of the slowest data speeds! .01down and .28up.

I see as of today from sprints web site that Anderson, and Spartanburg are underway with NV and LTE. I'm guessing that Greenville's network is being built as well, or is'nt far behind since Greenville is between both of these counties hear in the upstate. I just hope to have at least NV by mid March since our baby is due at this time. I can share Pictures / video's faster then! :lol: , hopefully no more connection time outs , and no network busy screens. In Northern Greenville we have some of the slowest data speeds! .01down and .28up.

I hope since Spartanburg, Anderson and Gaffney are being built that we are next. The smaller markets seems to be building fast the bigger ones. Even if you can call Greenville, SC bigger.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

I hope since Spartanburg, Anderson and Gaffney are being built that we are next. The smaller markets seems to be building fast the bigger ones. Even if you can call Greenville, SC bigger.

I would say that Greenville is a larger market than Spantanburg, Gaffney, and Anderson, but all of these run along i 85 and connect.

The smaller markets have fewer towers, so they are easier to complete. The same amount of work in a smaller city only covers a small chunk of a larger city. There will probably be a similar number of towers completed in Greenville, it's just not enough to give the sufficient coverage to qualify for an announcement.