S2 -Epic Touch 4G: ICS incoming

Wolvan

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sprints-Galaxy-S-II-Epic-4G-Touch-to-get-ICS-on-July-12_id32141

Supposedly the Galaxy S2's on Sprint will be getting the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade starting tomorrow (roll out by the 20th).

Get to play with it on my wife's phone at least!

Hopefully they fixed their kernel. The sgs2 has been plagued by a kernel bug that has to do with deleting data, you can get corruption in the actual physical memory module and get a totally bricked device i heard. Usually happens when deleting anything in the system partition with an ics kernel, all the guys with ROMS had been using gingerbread kernels before messing with anything in the system partition, but the error could occur anywhere (system flashes are simply larger and more strenuous).

I take back my previous statement, as Samsung has officially released Source. Now we just play the OTA waiting game.

Hopefully they fixed their kernel. The sgs2 has been plagued by a kernel bug that has to do with deleting data' date=' you can get corruption in the actual physical memory module and get a totally bricked device i heard. Usually happens when deleting anything in the system partition with an ics kernel, all the guys with ROMS had been using gingerbread kernels before messing with anything in the system partition, but the error could occur anywhere (system flashes are simply larger and more strenuous).[/quote']

Ahh the emmc bug. I'm hoping it's gone as well, as I would like to flash between ICS Roms without having to go back to the EL29 kernel.

I take back my previous statement, as Samsung has officially released Source. Now we just play the OTA waiting game.

Ahh the emmc bug. I'm hoping it's gone as well, as I would like to flash between ICS Roms without having to go back to the EL29 kernel.

I was an early victim of the superbrick. There are work arounds that the devs have put in place and now that the source is out, they can completely squash the bug.

I was an early victim of the superbrick. There are work arounds that the devs have put in place and now that the source is out' date=' they can completely squash the bug.[/quote']

I've been hearing about Agat's FF18 recovery, saying that it can flash be ICS roms without the EL29 kernel needing to be flashed.

I've been hearing about Agat's FF18 recovery' date=' saying that it can flash be ICS roms without the EL29 kernel needing to be flashed.[/quote']

There are a few kernels/recoveries that are safe due to some awesome devs

Sent from my CM9 Epic 4g Touch using Forum Runner

Can we not just force it through the "system update" function under "about phone" in settings? I keep hitting it, but it keeps telling me that my "system is up to date." Which, in my mind, it is NOT! LOL...so how bout it - can we force it or must we endure the dreaded wait?

Also, on another note, 3G data speeds here in Atlanta (Emory University area) have suddenly become dreadfully slow, just as they were beore NV began. Currently, using the speedtest app, I am only getting 0.1 - 0.25 down. No joke. Whereas before I was consistently getting 0.8 - 1.4 mb down. With LTE scheduled to go live on Sunday, is this latest slowdown in 3G speeds somehow related even though these are obviously 2 different technologies/frequencies?? Just curious as not being able to effectively use my smartphone for data really sucks the "smart" out of the "phone."

Can we not just force it through the "system update" function under "about phone" in settings? I keep hitting it, but it keeps telling me that my "system is up to date." Which, in my mind, it is NOT! LOL...so how bout it - can we force it or must we endure the dreaded wait?

Network Vision 3G upgrades have not started to be reported live yet in Atlanta. Only LTE so far. This is true of everywhere Ericsson is deploying (except Waco, Texas). Ericsson NV 3G upgrades should start coming online soon though.

Robert

Robert - Really? That is odd. I certainly believe you but can you tell me why my speeds suddenly increased about 4 weeks ago up to about 1.3 down, on average, and remained there until just yesterday? I posted previously about this in another thread...I can't recall which but it pertained to NV in general.

To sum it up...when I first moved to this part of Atlanta I had horrible speeds, like today (around 0.2 down) and even less. They sent me an airave. It didn't work out (horrid voice calls). They advised me updates were ongoing. They were right. One day my speeds spiked up to the aforementioned 1.3 (ish) down and remained that way until yesterday.

If the speed increases were not due to NV upgrades, then why in the world did my speed increase so dramatically..some five times faster, in fact (and seemingly overnight)? I hope you can explain because I am lost!

Robert - Really? That is odd. I certainly believe you but can you tell me why my speeds suddenly increased about 4 weeks ago up to about 1.3 down, on average, and remained there until just yesterday? I posted previously about this in another thread...I can't recall which but it pertained to NV in general.

To sum it up...when I first moved to this part of Atlanta I had horrible speeds, like today (around 0.2 down) and even less. They sent me an airave. It didn't work out (horrid voice calls). They advised me updates were ongoing. They were right. One day my speeds spiked up to the aforementioned 1.3 (ish) down and remained that way until yesterday.

If the speed increases were not due to NV upgrades, then why in the world did my speed increase so dramatically..some five times faster, in fact (and seemingly overnight)? I hope you can explain because I am lost!

Go to the NV Sites Complete thread: http://s4gru.com/ind...sites-complete/

Here are the maps. These reported sites come directly from Sprint. Not one site is "reported" live with 3G upgrades yet in the Atlanta area. The sites get marked complete on the map when Sprint has accepted service as fully complete from the OEM/NV Contractors. Sprint has yet to accept one site's 3G upgrades yet around Atlanta. It is possible you have found a site that the NV OEM has hooked up new backhaul to 3G, and Sprint will be accepting the site soon.

I'm just saying that in general, NV 3G service has not really started coming live in Ericsson markets. However, I understand, this is just about to change. And I think your observation may be evidence of that.

Robert

Wow, so even after zooming in I had to rub my eyes. It seems essentially NO sites in Midtown have been upgraded to LTE, let alone 3G, but I suppose this goes along with the idea of doing the suburbs first, the urban areas later, eh? But I do want to let you know that I talked to a supervisor at Sprint regarding my rollercoaster data speed ride and was informed that a.) there had been a local tower outage likely due to NV upgrades and that b.) the other towers around me were being overloaded as they were being forced to carry the extra traffic. And, a few hours later, lo and behold, my data speeds have now returned to "normal." Attached is a screenshot showing this. ok...well I tried to attach it but I don't know how. It says something like "file type not supported in this community." But the downlink was 1296 and the uplink was 637. So, yeah, definitely better.

Wow, so even after zooming in I had to rub my eyes. It seems essentially NO sites in Midtown have been upgraded to LTE, let alone 3G, but I suppose this goes along with the idea of doing the suburbs first, the urban areas later, eh? But I do want to let you know that I talked to a supervisor at Sprint regarding my rollercoaster data speed ride and was informed that a.) there had been a local tower outage likely due to NV upgrades and that b.) the other towers around me were being overloaded as they were being forced to carry the extra traffic. And, a few hours later, lo and behold, my data speeds have now returned to "normal." Attached is a screenshot showing this. ok...well I tried to attach it but I don't know how. It says something like "file type not supported in this community." But the downlink was 1296 and the uplink was 637. So, yeah, definitely better.

Yeah, thats pretty good speeds

Again, has ANYONE actually received this ICS upgrade from Sprint? I still can't access it on my E4GT. Yes, I'm aware it could be as late as the 20th but I have yet to hear of one single person who has actually received the OTA upgrade. Anyone, anyone....Bueller..anyone?

From the Android Central forums, alot of people are getting the update. It is rolling out until the 20th. You can also download and install manually.

And yes, I'm waiting for my wife's S2 E4GT to upgrade so I can play with it.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g-touch/

From the Android Central forums, alot of people are getting the update. It is rolling out until the 20th. You can also download and install manually.

And yes, I'm waiting for my wife's S2 E4GT to upgrade so I can play with it.

http://forums.androi...-epic-4g-touch/

Yes I downloaded the zip file(to my laptop) earlier this week. It's just that i don't have an sd card so I can't load it up on my phone just yet. I may buy one today or tomorrow and go ahead and force it onto my phone. But I sorta wanted to wait for the official OTA. If I don't have the official OTA by tomorrow night, I'll definitely go buy an SD card so I can install it myself Tuesday morning. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Wife's phone updated in the last day or 2. She just mentioned it to me that her lock screen seemed different after I did some update (I hadn't done anything, was the OTA update).

So far no major issue's. I'll be playing with it over the weekend.