1900 Mhz to 800 Mhz handoff

I would assume that it would be handled just like a 1900 to 1900 handoff, IIRC the phone usually selects what tower/sector/radio to use based on the lowest Ec/Io value.

Guys, are we talking idle state handoff or traffic state handoff?

AJ

I think traffic state would be the more sensitive, how does that usually work? I am guessing there is some minimum signal value and then the handset would try to negotiate a handoff to a better radio with the switch? How close is that?

Idle state handoff is purely handset driven. During the active period in its slot cycle (typically once every 1.28 × 2² = 5.12 sec), if the handset finds a PN offset with better Ec/Io, then the handset switches over to that PN offset.

AJ

• Like 1

I find more times than not my handset will wait until the signal around -105db before it switches and sometimes I see it have a good tower and then switch to a lower signal tower I saw this often while visiting Virginia Beach recently. This would more often than not drop my call or degrade it until it switch back to the closer (and higher signal) tower. This behavior has me baffled...

I find more times than not my handset will wait until the signal around -105db before it switches and sometimes I see it have a good tower and then switch to a lower signal tower I saw this often while visiting Virginia Beach recently. This would more often than not drop my call or degrade it until it switch back to the closer (and higher signal) tower. This behavior has me baffled...

Its because you are using the signal strength indicator to determine good sites from bad sites. Your device is using EcIo ratio. The closer site was likely quite overloaded and the device had to switch to the other farther site. If the other site did not offer a good connection, but the closer site had an even worse EcIo ratio, then you were doomed either way. Sprint most likely needs to increase capacity in your area.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

To finish up what I started last night, traffic state handoff is a handset-network cooperative process. It, too, is based on Ec/Io. If a PN offset is above a certain Ec/Io threshold, then the handset will request for that PN to be added to its active set. And if a PN offset falls below a certain Ec/Io threshold for a certain period of time, then the handset will drop that PN from its active set.

Now, the aforementioned describes soft/softer handoff -- a handset can be connected to multiple (1-6) PN offsets simultaneously. Soft/softer handoff is possible only on the same carrier channel. For inter-channel or inter-band handoff, as in the case of CDMA1X 1900 to CDMA1X 800 (or vice versa), that is hard handoff -- a "break before make" leap between two PN offsets. And unless my understanding is incomplete, hard handoff is entirely network directed.

AJ

• Like 1

To finish up what I started last night, traffic state handoff is a handset-network cooperative process. It, too, is based on Ec/Io. If a PN offset is above a certain Ec/Io threshold, then the handset will request for that PN to be added to its active set. And if a PN offset falls below a certain Ec/Io threshold for a certain period of time, then the handset will drop that PN from its active set.

Now, the aforementioned describes soft/softer handoff -- a handset can be connected to multiple (1-6) PN offsets simultaneously. Soft/softer handoff is possible only on the same carrier channel. For inter-channel or inter-band handoff, as in the case of CDMA1X 1900 to CDMA1X 800 (or vice versa), that is hard handoff -- a "break before make" leap between two PN offsets. And unless my understanding is incomplete, hard handoff is entirely network directed.

AJ

Would the hard handoff still be seamless or would a dropped call result?

Would the hard handoff still be seamless or would a dropped call result?

Either. Soft handoff is seamless. Hard handoff is more challenging and, if successful, typically causes a just perceptible blip in the traffic channel.

AJ

AJ

You are a paragon of knowledge!