Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bigmachine said:

I had given up on checking for B26, but I knew something was up when I was able to have several really long conversations while driving using VoLTE and the calls didn't drop.

Now it seems like my phone is parked on B26 -- which probably isn't a great thing since it hasn't been optimized yet.

Check this out:

More B26 sites coming soon....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For the first time I noticed some small cells in West L.A. So far, the parts of the city that have multiple deployments include: Koreatown, parts of Hollywood, NoHo and now West LA. There's probab

1x800 in Hawaiian Gardens! As close as I have seen to SBC so far. Might just be testing because it keeps going back and forth to 1xRTT.

Brand spanking new small cell 

Posted Images

On 12/13/2018 at 8:40 PM, RedSpark said:

Check this out:

More B26 sites coming soon....

I had B26 in the Brea area last week for a few days. Not it's gone. At I get -125 on B25 if I am lucky. I even got good speeds. I miss it already.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Visited Los Angeles this past weekend and T-Mobile's network left a lot to be desired in most of the areas I visited, especially their 5G network. I spent the most time in West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice, Universal Studios. I visited other places but not long enough to give a good summary of network performance.

  1. LAX: According to Cellmapper there are three T-Mobile macro sites that serve the airport specifically. That means that outdoor signal and speeds are great, but inside the terminal both signal strength and speeds dropped off significantly the further away from the site you were. Unfortunately, it looks like there is no T-Mobile DAS in the airport, or at least in Terminal 5 where I was. Luckily the terminal did have one of those Passpoint WiFi networks that your phone connects to automatically so I was still able to use my phone. This is in comparison to JFK which has one macro site that serves the airport but has a separate DAS in each terminal so signal strength and speeds are phenomenal both inside and outside the airport. It was definitely a shock going from 200Mbps indoors on LTE at JFK to barely being able to load directions to my car rental without WIFi at LAX.
     
  2. West Hollywood/Hollywood: It appears that T-Mobile has done the bare minimum in terms of 5G deployment to provide contiguous coverage here. There was virtually no n41 to be found. All 5G was Band 71 and it was so sparsely deployed that the network was very overburdened resulting in poor speeds. Additionally, the low signal strength of the 5G network meant that my phone was constantly switching to standalone mode to attempt to stay connected to 5G at the expense of losing LTE completely. Because it was so overburdened it was worse than NSA 5G or even LTE alone. As a result, I found myself having to put my phone in LTE only mode if I wasn't near a 5G site or if my phone didn't switch over to NSA 5G fast enough.
     
  3. Santa Monica: I can't speak for the entire city of Santa Monica, just the waterfront but this was the first place I went where T-Mobile's network performed decently everywhere I went. Speeds were great on 5G thanks to n41 on the site near Santa Monica Pier and they also had a bunch of oDAS sites littered throughout the area. I'd catch my phone dropping down to LTE frequently when I'd get near them but speeds remained high.
     
  4. Venice: Great once again. I visited the beach and the canals. This was the first time that I actually spotted the physical n41 antenna. I believe Los Angeles is at 100MHz for n41 but they're limited by the same backhaul restrictions that I've seen in NYC. Near the site I was able to get about 600Mbps down but over 130Mbps up which was super impressive. I also encountered a few oDAS sites out there that would cause my phone to drop 5G in favor of LTE but they all performed well much like in Santa Monica.
     
  5. Universal Studios: This area was LTE only because it's fed virtually entirely by a network of small cells littered throughout the entire studio/theme park. Having this dedicated small cell network meant having great speeds inside and out almost everywhere. Speeds of 100-200Mbps were common. Eventually T-Mobile will have to upgrade these to support 5G though.
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Visited Los Angeles this past weekend and T-Mobile's network left a lot to be desired in most of the areas I visited, especially their 5G network. I spent the most time in West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice, Universal Studios. I visited other places but not long enough to give a good summary of network performance.

  1. LAX: According to Cellmapper there are three T-Mobile macro sites that serve the airport specifically. That means that outdoor signal and speeds are great, but inside the terminal both signal strength and speeds dropped off significantly the further away from the site you were. Unfortunately, it looks like there is no T-Mobile DAS in the airport, or at least in Terminal 5 where I was. Luckily the terminal did have one of those Passpoint WiFi networks that your phone connects to automatically so I was still able to use my phone. This is in comparison to JFK which has one macro site that serves the airport but has a separate DAS in each terminal so signal strength and speeds are phenomenal both inside and outside the airport. It was definitely a shock going from 200Mbps indoors on LTE at JFK to barely being able to load directions to my car rental without WIFi at LAX.
     
  2. West Hollywood/Hollywood: It appears that T-Mobile has done the bare minimum in terms of 5G deployment to provide contiguous coverage here. There was virtually no n41 to be found. All 5G was Band 71 and it was so sparsely deployed that the network was very overburdened resulting in poor speeds. Additionally, the low signal strength of the 5G network meant that my phone was constantly switching to standalone mode to attempt to stay connected to 5G at the expense of losing LTE completely. Because it was so overburdened it was worse than NSA 5G or even LTE alone. As a result, I found myself having to put my phone in LTE only mode if I wasn't near a 5G site or if my phone didn't switch over to NSA 5G fast enough.
     
  3. Santa Monica: I can't speak for the entire city of Santa Monica, just the waterfront but this was the first place I went where T-Mobile's network performed decently everywhere I went. Speeds were great on 5G thanks to n41 on the site near Santa Monica Pier and they also had a bunch of oDAS sites littered throughout the area. I'd catch my phone dropping down to LTE frequently when I'd get near them but speeds remained high.
     
  4. Venice: Great once again. I visited the beach and the canals. This was the first time that I actually spotted the physical n41 antenna. I believe Los Angeles is at 100MHz for n41 but they're limited by the same backhaul restrictions that I've seen in NYC. Near the site I was able to get about 600Mbps down but over 130Mbps up which was super impressive. I also encountered a few oDAS sites out there that would cause my phone to drop 5G in favor of LTE but they all performed well much like in Santa Monica.
     
  5. Universal Studios: This area was LTE only because it's fed virtually entirely by a network of small cells littered throughout the entire studio/theme park. Having this dedicated small cell network meant having great speeds inside and out almost everywhere. Speeds of 100-200Mbps were common. Eventually T-Mobile will have to upgrade these to support 5G though.

Great report.

Does network issue reporting in My Sprint still work if you're on TNX or is there another way to report these slow speeds, etc.?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

Great report.

Does network issue reporting in My Sprint still work if you're on TNX or is there another way to report these slow speeds, etc.?

I'm not certain. Shortly after the merger I moved my line over to T-Mobile so I don't have access to the MySprint app anymore but I wish that there was a way for me to report that. It would've been super helpful.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

I'm not certain. Shortly after the merger I moved my line over to T-Mobile so I don't have access to the MySprint app anymore but I wish that there was a way for me to report that. It would've been super helpful.

It seems there's really no convenient way to report network issues in T-Mobile's App? That's what I liked about the My Sprint App. It was quick and easy to file a network issue report.

Seems like the best options now are to Tweet @NevilleRay or @TMobileHelp about network issues?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Similar Content

    • By danlodish345
      Even though Sprint doesn't have the best coverage in my area. I do have lots of memories and nostalgia with the company. I wonder who else here will miss Sprint besides me?
    • By vanko987
      I'm new to this forum, and I've seen people mention cell sites with specific ID's (for example, SF33XC664). Is there any significance to these ID's, and is there a way to decode them? Also, how do I figure out what the cell site ID's are for towers near me?
      Thanks! I'm excited to start talking on this site more 😀
    • By lilotimz
      Samsung Network Vision equipment are highly distinct and fairly easy to spot compared to the equipment that other vendors are deploying. Sprint is Samsung's first extremely massive American contract (baring Clearwire) so there  should be no issues in confusing these equipment for another carrier which happens often with Ericsson NV equipment.

      Below are images of Samsung equipment which includes antennas, remote radio units, base stations, and their mounting configurations. 
       
      Samsung antenna with eSMR 800 RRU & PCS 1900 RRU

      A close look at a Samsung setup





      Next Generation Samsung Configuration
      RRH-P4 4T4R 1.9 GHz  | RRH-C4 4T4R 800 MHz| RRH-V3 2.5 GHz

      Next Generation 8 Port Dual Band Antenna Setup 
      4 port 800 MHz RRH-C4 800

      (source: dkyeager)

      (source: dkyeager)
      Narrow beam setup

      High Capacity Site with 2 Antennas & 3 RRUs (2x PCS & 1x SMR).
      Second antenna is PCS only for now.


      Canadian IBEZ (NO SMR)

      Special Case PCS Only Setup for Canadian IBEZ




      Close up of standard antenna connectors 

      Samsung Cabinets

       
       
      Powerpoint slides from Samsung / Sprint
      *disclaimer - all  powerpoint diagrams and images were found through public municipality online databases and is by no means misappropriated through malicious means*
      *Credit goes to those whom took pictures of these equipment. You know who you are*
    • By kckid
      Sprint announced at MWC trade show in Barcelona that 5G will go live with 4 cities starting in May  (Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas and Kansas City )
      https://phys.org/news/2019-02-sprint-5g-network-chicago-atlanta.html
       
  • Posts

    • Good point. You could try submitting a report to @NevilleRay or @TMobileHelp about the congestion on the nearby macro sites?
    • Sure, but it didn't matter how Sprint's 800 MHz was down there, since we have 1900 MHz LTE on the DAS.  I'd rather my T-Mobile iPhone used the Sprint Legacy 1900 MHz LTE signal that's available down there than the 600 MHz 5G/LTE macro network, which is congested as we share it with a major transit hub in the area.  My phone will hop over to the Sprint signal when it loses the T-Mobile signal entirely, but it's a hard transition to "Roaming," not seamless like the Sprint "keep" sites are around here.
    • It's still got to be better than Sprint's 800 MHz was, right? 🙂 At some point that DAS will have to be accounted for by the T-Mobile Network Folks. It's probably on some list somewhere with a plan to either upgrade it or shut it down.
    • I wish these network testing and speed testing organizations would hit the providers with a big negative for areas with unusable or very slow coverage.  The difference between 1mb/s and 1,000mb/s in download speed or between 3g/4g/LTE/5g/etc. doesn't matter very much to most people who are not using their mobile device as a hotspot or casting to another screen.  The difference between no service and 1mb/s is very important to all users in all areas and its importance should be taken into account on these tests.  Upload speed should always be a minimum of 5% of the download speed for the download speed to be counted as useful.
    • I just wrote about this over in the Northern Jersey thread. I drove along I-80 from NYC out to Mt. Arlington, NJ and lost 5G coverage once and for less than a mile. It's only a 50-60 mile trip but it drives you through some pretty hilly/mountainous areas so I was surprised to see T-Mobile maintain 5G for virtually the entire ride.
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...