What's the range of the core? or is it wired?

There is no range for a core. Cores are set up and configured for markets based on customer counts. Cores can handle so much traffic. At some cores, they handle eHRPD and LTE traffic for several markets. And other busier markets, they may handle just one market or a portion of a market.

A site is connected to a core through backhaul.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

It's normal that I haven't seen more than 3 bars of LTE coverage in a full 3G coverage area? I know the 'bars' aren't accurate in terms of LTE, but when I'm connected to LTE, bars drop.

iPhones do show LTE signal strength in bars, so what this means is when you are connecting to an LTE signal, you are connecting to a tower(s) that is a farther away than the towers that you receive 3G from. This will be common place until more towers are upgraded.

I noticed that when I am connected to the 4g tower by West Compton/North Carson, the speeds are just so slow they make 1X look fast. I wonder what is the cause of that.

LTE speeds are very signal strength dependent. So if you have a weak signal, you will experience slower speeds.

There have also been cases of towers being live, but only giving <3G speeds on the LTE signal. The only way to know which it is (signal strength or towers issue) is to look at the LTE engineering screen to see what your signal strength is.

iPhones do show LTE signal strength in bars, so what this means is when you are connecting to an LTE signal, you are connecting to a tower(s) that is a farther away than the towers that you receive 3G from. This will be common place until more towers are upgraded.

LTE speeds are very signal strength dependent. So if you have a weak signal, you will experience slower speeds.

There have also been cases of towers being live, but only giving <3G speeds on the LTE signal. The only way to know which it is (signal strength or towers issue) is to look at the LTE engineering screen to see what your signal strength is.

I am a block from the upgraded LTE tower. I presume the signal strength is high. I understand Sprint is still in testing mode while more towers come online so I don't have to many complaints with the LTE speed. I just wish the upgraded 3G would start to roll out faster.

ay, I really hate to say it but I'm starting to notice the network struggling during the day.

About two months ago I was getting great pings and speeds during the day. Now I only see that type of performance late at night. Having said that, I am having a consistently better experience using data regardless of what a speed test says.

ay, I really hate to say it but I'm starting to notice the network struggling during the day.

About two months ago I was getting great pings and speeds during the day. Now I only see that type of performance late at night. Having said that, I am having a consistently better experience using data regardless of what a speed test says.

The LTE network cannot be struggling under load yet. However, there is a lot still going on. The network is still in an unlaunched state in the LA market.

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o481/raycitocubanito/Screenshot_2012-11-26-10-06-34.png[/img

I am right in front of a site that was giving almost 2mbps constantly and since a week or so its been like this.Do this mean that this site its under upgrade work?

No way to know for sure except to find the site and look at it.

No way to know for sure except to find the site and look at it.

thats the problem.on the map says it it in sears but i cant see it,unless its on the roof and there is this building in front of sears that is full of panels on the sides windows roof.the site might be there
  • Like 1

I live in Canoga Park now and get LTE all over my area (except my street.. It dies there.. Lol). But is this phase the weak phase or will it always be this weak? When driving I never have LTE for more than a minute or two. It's very spotty, never reliable, and rarely more than one or two bars of voice signal at the time of reception.

Any word? Merci !

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk2 on the Sprint Network. <><

I live in Canoga Park now and get LTE all over my area (except my street.. It dies there.. Lol). But is this phase the weak phase or will it always be this weak? When driving I never have LTE for more than a minute or two. It's very spotty, never reliable, and rarely more than one or two bars of voice signal at the time of reception.

Any word? Merci !

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk2 on the Sprint Network. <><

Service will continue to be spotty as the network build-out continues. It will be several months before all towers are completed. Once that happens, you should have LTE service nearly everywhere you have 3G service. When 800 LTE is launched later next year, your LTE service area will expand a bit more than what it will be when the current 1900 build-out is complete.

• Like 1

The LTE network cannot be struggling under load yet. However, there is a lot still going on. The network is still in an unlaunched state in the LA market.

I'm not saying LTE is the issue but I am observing that the network on a NetworkVision'd site is performing poorly during the day compared to one month ago. The network also returns to the fantastic performance of one month ago late at night and early in the morning.

I'm aware the bottleneck might be at a core or something else. Whatever the problem is, I suspect it is not at the cell site. We'll see if it improves in the coming weeks and months....I hope it does.

I'm not saying LTE is the issue but I am observing that the network on a NetworkVision'd site is performing poorly during the day compared to one month ago. The network also returns to the fantastic performance of one month ago late at night and early in the morning.

I'm aware the bottleneck might be at a core or something else. Whatever the problem is, I suspect it is not at the cell site. We'll see if it improves in the coming weeks and months....I hope it does.

3G only slows down, or LTE also?

I'll have to see about LTE (not picked up today) but 3G for sure. I'm looking at ping times more so than speed as I've noticed low ping times results in a better experience regardless of speeds....you can even see it with the speed tests as the connection remains very stable with a low ping while when you have higher latency you tend to have more peaks and valleys.

Right now on 3G I have a ping of about 285ms through my phone to the server. When I wrote my post at 6am I had a ping response of 85ms through 3G. Since last month, something has changed that is now causing an additional delay of 200ms.

What could it be?

I think this is spread all over LA even less than a block from the tower with clear view the speeds dont reach 10mbps anymore and also 3G even close the site is slow compared with a month ago.

I'll have to see about LTE (not picked up today) but 3G for sure. I'm looking at ping times more so than speed as I've noticed low ping times results in a better experience regardless of speeds....you can even see it with the speed tests as the connection remains very stable with a low ping while when you have higher latency you tend to have more peaks and valleys.

Right now on 3G I have a ping of about 285ms through my phone to the server. When I wrote my post at 6am I had a ping response of 85ms through 3G. Since last month, something has changed that is now causing an additional delay of 200ms.

What could it be?

3G I am less concerned about. The reason being, in an urban area, there is no way for certain to know which 3G EVDO site you are connected to. Your device will always be in range of 3-4 (maybe more) EVDO sites and your device/network will pick which one for you to connect to based on EC/IO ratio. It doesn't care which one is faster or upgraded.

So until all your 3G sites in your vicinity are upgraded, you can be on a legacy site and have no idea (even when standing next to an upgraded site). Also, another problem is in an area with lots of legacy sites, but few NV sites, the NV site(s) can be temporarily overrun with traffic shunted from the adjacent overburdened legacy sites. So as more legacy sites in the vicinity are converted, the less burden on the original new NV site becomes and traffic more normalizes.

Although having adjacent NV sites helps a lot, full relief will not occur until more sites are converted, since we have no ability to control which sites we connect to.

Also, one last possibility, on a 3G only upgraded site, it is possible that the new backhaul is not active yet. If the site is marked 3G/4G complete, then we know that the backhaul is ready, because they cannot run LTE on legacy backhaul. On a 3G only upgraded NV site without new backhaul live, you will definitely experience evening performance fade.

All of these scenarios are plausible in your circumstances.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk