Kudos to the person who captured LTE signal on his/her commute on the Riverside Metrolink. Or I should hope it was a commuter and not the conductor. :D

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III (aka SEXY BEAST) running Jelly Bean leaked ROM using Tapatalk 2

Kudos to the person who captured LTE signal on his/her commute on the Riverside Metrolink. Or I should hope it was a commuter and not the conductor. :D

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III (aka SEXY BEAST) running Jelly Bean leaked ROM using Tapatalk 2

Riverside by freeway 5??

Riverside by freeway 5??

There is a purple strip that stretches from just East of Union Station at the beginning of the Cesar Chavez railyard to the 101 freeway. This purple strip covers the rail line which the Riverside Metrolink uses.

Its been really fun messing around with LTE these last few days. First, Not sure about the GS3, but the signal on the iPhone shows signal for that connection. If connected to LTE, it will show LTE signal strength. And, if you switch to 3G it reverts to that signal strength. Ive noticed that where I get LTE (say 3 or 4 out of 5 bars on my iPhone), and I turn off LTE, I have full bars on 3G. And consistent speeds of 1.5+ mb. About 1mb of upload too, its pretty nice. Though, it seems that LTE doesn't penetrate as well as 3G does, despite both operating at 1900mhz. In my apartment, literally RIGHT across the street from where I have 4 bars of LTE on my phone, I dont get LTE. I want to blame my apartment, especially since my Epic 4G Touch had AWFUL reception issues in my unit due to poor Samsung radios, where my iPhone does not. BUT, I get 3G on the iPhone. Ahhh, atleast I have 50mbps Wifi Lol

Edited by dw3bb10

Its been really fun messing around with LTE these last few days. First' date=' Not sure about the GS3, but the signal on the iPhone shows signal for that connection. If connected to LTE, it will show LTE signal strength. And, if you switch to 3G it reverts to that signal strength. Ive noticed that where I get LTE (say 3 or 4 out of 5 bars on my iPhone), and I turn off LTE, I have full bars on 3G. And consistent speeds of 1.5+ mb. About 1mb of upload too, its pretty nice. Though, it seems that LTE doesn't penetrate as well as 3G does, despite both operating at 1900mhz. In my apartment, literally RIGHT across the street from where I have 4 bars of LTE on my phone, I dont get LTE. I want to blame my apartment, especially since my Epic 4G Touch had AWFUL reception issues in my unit due to poor Samsung radios, where my iPhone does not. BUT, I get 3G on the iPhone. Ahhh, atleast I have 50mbps Wifi Lol[/quote']

It's not that LTE doesn't penetrate as well, it is that LTE is not usable with as weak of a signal. LTE 1900 and CDMA 1900 will be the same signal strength at the same distance from the same site. However, LTE maxes out around -95dBm RSSI and CDMA will go to about -105dBm. And going indoors usually results in a 8 to 10dBm signal loss. And even more with some types of buildings.

Also, there is a good chance that the tower that you are connected to 3G to is closer than the tower you are connected to LTE on.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

It's not that LTE doesn't penetrate as well, it is that LTE is not usable with as weak of a signal. LTE 1900 and CDMA 1900 will be the same signal strength at the same distance from the same site. However, LTE maxes out around -95dBm RSSI and CDMA will go to about -105dBm. And going indoors usually results in a 8 to 10dBm signal loss. And even more with some types of buildings.

Also, there is a good chance that the tower that you are connected to 3G to is closer than the tower you are connected to LTE on.

I didn't know that, thanks for clarifying. I definitely feel im connected to the same tower with both. Though, Ive noticed that the LTE signal on my phone is VERY faint in my apartment, and it seems as if it may try and connect, but then just reverts to 3G. So, your reasoning sounds very accurate.

I didn't know that' date=' thanks for clarifying. I definitely feel im connected to the same tower with both. Though, Ive noticed that the LTE signal on my phone is VERY faint in my apartment, and it seems as if it may try and connect, but then just reverts to 3G. So, your reasoning sounds very accurate.[/quote']

The best way to try to determine if you are connected to the same site for 3G and LTE is to get the dBM readings for both in your debug menu. I'm not exactly sure how to do that in an iPhone.

However, if you can get your RSSI reading for 3G, and then your RSRP reading in LTE, then add 25 to the RSRP number, then you have an apples to apples signal comparison. If they are similar after you add 25, then they are likely from the same site. If they are more than 5dBm apart, then probably not.

Network Vision/4G LTE is gonna be upgrade in every single sprint site(they said) so being that true LTE coverage will be bigger many times than Wimax...Wimax was only deployed on important areas,urban areas. ALSO i dont think Los Angeles will be 100% by march..now it is not even 50%.

Still waiting for lte in Hawthorne gardena Torrance areas. Can't wait to start mapping it

No joy in Torrance around The Crossroads Shopping Center. I went to Costco to fill the car tank and only 3g in the area.

This is very disappointing news. I am averaging -105dBm in my house right now.