Well speeds are still good..but you can barely do anything if the speeds only come in periodic bursts.

I'll try to get a test with lte later this afternoon. I wonder if a trace route or something would help identify the choke point?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

in my experience, pings ~100 or less generally means you are on the NV superhigway.

pings 200+ generally means your on the legacy back roads.

Hey guys, I've been wondering. Are the Wimax towers apart from the 3G cell towers? The reason I ask is that at my work and home, my 3G has been horrible, but I was always able to get Wimax in building at both places. I can see where the 3G/LTE towers are placed, and they worked briefly but at a very limited range. Now the've been off and I haven't seen them back on in a few weeks. I wonder, will signal for LTE be similar in strength to WiMax in my area or were the WiMax transmitters placed in different locations.

Hey guys, I've been wondering. Are the Wimax towers apart from the 3G cell towers? The reason I ask is that at my work and home, my 3G has been horrible, but I was always able to get Wimax in building at both places. I can see where the 3G/LTE towers are placed, and they worked briefly but at a very limited range. Now the've been off and I haven't seen them back on in a few weeks. I wonder, will signal for LTE be similar in strength to WiMax in my area or were the WiMax transmitters placed in different locations.

WiMax locations are generally not co-located with Sprint towers, since they were deployed by Clear and not Sprint. LTE will have similar strength in building as 3G does, so if you are able to get a reasonable 3G signal (signal, not speed) you will most likely have LTE.

I may need to consider changing carriers then as my typical 3G signal here in the South Bay is around -87dBm to -96dBm in doors and in the surrounding areas I usually end up in.

I'm not sure how well that will translate to LTE as far as speed is concerned but for their current 3G, it's basically unusable.

I may need to consider changing carriers then as my typical 3G signal here in the South Bay is around -87dBm to -96dBm in doors and in the surrounding areas I usually end up in.

I'm not sure how well that will translate to LTE as far as speed is concerned but for their current 3G, it's basically unusable.

3G speed won't translate to LTE speed at all. LTE will be connected to a whole new system that will have much higher speeds. Those signal levels will be acceptable for LTE. Generally, if you have a signal of -95dBm or better on 1xRTT, you will receive LTE. Keep in mind that the NV equipment will also give a 1-3dBM boost to your signal. With a LTE signal strength of around -90dBm RSSI, you can expect speeds between 3-5Mbps, maybe faster. With a signal of -80dBm RSSI, your speeds will probably be closer to 15Mbps.

3-5 is more than I'd ever really need. The wait has been a little frustrating but I'm a patient guy. I think I'll wait and see how it goes when it's officially launched. The current testing signal for completed towers near me, there's 2, has been pretty weak. I'm hopeful though. I've never had any trouble with Sprint in the past and would prefer to stay.

3-5 is more than I'd ever really need. The wait has been a little frustrating but I'm a patient guy. I think I'll wait and see how it goes when it's officially launched. The current testing signal for completed towers near me, there's 2, has been pretty weak. I'm hopeful though. I've never had any trouble with Sprint in the past and would prefer to stay.

I can definitely understand your frustration. I lived in Kansas City after the LTE roll-out started, but have since moved to Springfield, MO. Got to experience LTE, then moved back to slow slow 3G. But trust me, it will be worth it! Once the all the NV upgrades are done, your average 3G speed will likely be somewhere in the range of 1-2.4mbps! Which on it's own is fast enough for most things.

I was getting some pretty abnormal speedtest.net results on my Galaxy Nexus yesterday when I went to go visit my parents. I'm pretty sure these speeds are too good to be true.

Screenshot_2012-11-28-20-13-15.png

Screenshot_2012-11-28-20-13-38.png

My Photon Q had gotten a software update, and I was noticing far worse battery life afterwards. The device was also constantly dropping connection and reconnecting. I changed to CDMA-only and now have much better battery life and a very steady connection.

It seems that LTE is creeping into my precise area: step outside and it connects, inside, mostly just 3g. I think I may stick with just 3g until LTE is more fully rolled out here? Haven't done any speedtests lately, but 3g has been quite adequate lately. (Mostly eHRPD here)

Edited by yrrchsebor

Screenshot_2012-12-06-22-16-13.png

Good LTE day today here in LA fastest PINGs ever and also the speeds reaching 28mbps here in Glendale.Perfect for music streaming PANDORA and really nice smooth switchs between EVDO and LTE and also LTE has appeared in Pamdale/Lancaster area

Aw man, know what sucks? While at work the front half of my building has about 2-3 Bars of LTE. When I walk half way towards the back (where my office is against an outside wall) I only have 3G (.34 down, 1.16 up right this second) Hopefully it will start working its way towards the back of my building soon!

Aw man, know what sucks? While at work the front half of my building has about 2-3 Bars of LTE. When I walk half way towards the back (where my office is against an outside wall) I only have 3G (.34 down, 1.16 up right this second) Hopefully it will start working its way towards the back of my building soon!

This is common. Budings act as a shield and block signals. The site that serves the back of the building will likely fix the problem once it is upgraded.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

I don't think the LTE strength is strong inside STAPLES Center, but I am getting some in Section 217, Row 10. Strong enough to stream video though. I have reason to think it's weak because occasionally it does switch from 4G to no data to 3G and eventually switch back to 4G

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

post-6420-1355090236706_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I don't think the LTE strength is strong inside STAPLES Center, but I am getting some in Section 217, Row 10. Strong enough to stream video though. I have reason to think it's weak because occasionally it does switch from 4G to no data to 3G and eventually switch back to 4G

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

3g is faster than lte in the convention center. 2mb compared to 1.6mb. Shocked the 4s bested me