Radio Comparison Article

Hasn't Sprints data service always been called "Vision" of some iteration?

Prior to PCS Vision, Sprint's cdmaOne circuit switched data service was called Wireless Web. Circa 2000-2001, when VZW was still getting its act together following the merger that formed it and Sprint was the only carrier to offer seamless wireless data service in all major markets, Wireless Web was kick ass.

AJ

• Like 4

I joined because I wanted to say thank you for this comparison in advance' date=' it's about time this happened![/quote']

I'm just waiting on the Epic to arrive. Should show up in the mail tomorrow.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

"Whoa, man, wow. That's so intense."

I feel quite certain that guy in the video could tell you where you could get some weed.

AJ

LOL. not jut any kind of weed but the top shelf, won't sell to anyone else, super good weed.

Robert - can you comment on battery life of all the phones you're testing? No need to get into detailed tests for each phone, but just general impressions as to how the phones compare to one another.

Robert - can you comment on battery life of all the phones you're testing? No need to get into detailed tests for each phone' date=' but just general impressions as to how the phones compare to one another.[/quote']

EVO LTE = Great

Galaxy S III = Very Good

Galaxy Nexus = Good

LG Viper = Good

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Any initial results yet? I'm not sure if I missed them or if you are trying to find time for this experiment. I'm sure juggling all those phones must be a daunting task!

I have one more batch of testing to do. Each batch takes a lot longer than I imagined before setting out. I hope to complete the work some time this week.

Robert

I have one more batch of testing to do. Each batch takes a lot longer than I imagined before setting out. I hope to complete the work some time this week.

Robert

Are you going to be able to include any LTE tests? (Thought maybe you made a secret detour on your vacation.)

• Like 1

Are you going to be able to include any LTE tests? (Thought maybe you made a secret detour on your vacation.)

No. I'm going to release an article on the 1x/EVDO on 850 and 1900. I will be in Waco on Labor Day weekend, and I will test the 4 LTE devices I have there then in a separate article.

Robert

• Like 1

No. I'm going to release an article on the 1x/EVDO on 850 and 1900. I will be in Waco on Labor Day weekend, and I will test the 4 LTE devices I have there then in a separate article.

Robert

What are you going to be doing in Waco on Labor Day Weekend other than testing LTE?

What are you going to be doing in Waco on Labor Day Weekend other than testing LTE?

I am there for a family function. My LTE testing is incidental, not the purpose.

Robert

I am there for a family function. My LTE testing is incidental' date=' not the purpose.

Robert[/quote']

Family function? Hopefully your family isn't as dysfunctional as mine is, lol.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Cleaned up the apk list on my EVO today and trimmed stuff down I will never use. Blocked a few permissions on apps that were causing some minor wake locks. Used better battery stats to identify them. And wow! Normal usage today and after 10 hours off the charger and I had 80 percent battery left. Awesome!

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 2

Cleaned up the apk list on my EVO today and trimmed stuff down I will never use. Blocked a few permissions on apps that were causing some minor wake locks. Used better battery stats to identify them. And wow! Normal usage today and after 10 hours off the charger and I had 80 percent battery left. Awesome!

What rom are you using? I'm using Viper4g and it's awesome.

What rom are you using? I'm using Viper4g and it's awesome.

Tried viper way back. Went to meanrom. I have a script that cleans and mods a few things though.

One day I will just make my own since I can't find one that has everything set like I want. Like for one, if the app is available on the market, YouTube, facebook, etc it should not be on the Rom. Get it from the market if you want it.

Digging into things and trying to get rid of the ugly white on the settings screens and email screens. Maybe then I will put something together.

The new Viper that was released last week is very good. Not sure if that's the one your tried or not.

I might check it out, it had a bit of fluff to it though. Will have to see what I can clean up before flashing.

TWRP and titanium backup make it so easy to setup a new blank Rom and then flip back and forth between them on the go.

How is this test going to be better than using what the FCC report shows #s wise?....I guess showing the lte signal versus evdo and how that looks to an extent but I'd think the FCC #s would suffice for telling which phone had better signal than others generally....

Just trying to understand the overall purpose here as I don't see the need for comparing signals across phones since that's been done with high tech equipment at the FCC already...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Sgt., the FCC is not concerned with RF reception. The labs that are certified to submit test results to the FCC assess only RF transmission.

AJ

Sgt., the FCC is not concerned with RF reception. The labs that are certified to submit test results to the FCC assess only RF transmission.

AJ

Ahhh

Okay so we end up making a lot of assumptions on things when trying to deduce the phones signal reception ability when we only base it off the FCC figures....(obviously ignoring the radio software as we all know this can vary drastically bw OEMs.)....that is if we are looking at this from a hardware perspective mainly...

On the same page now though... :)

What will be used to judge the signal? Going to go off the internal menus?...if so are the values there not effected somewhat by how the software calculates them or are the flat numbers/values/calculations used across all OEMs?...

Like how we know you can tweak it to show more/less bars depending on the signal # given....I dont know how the device is determining those internal numbers, hence the question.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Here's another to throw in the mix of thoughts... Two receivers side by side are receiving the same signal strength, but one is more "efficient" and shows a higher signal quality. The same can also be said on the send side. One radio might be more powerful on the signal power but it's not a high quality signal like another lower powered phone. One of the reasons you see loopback tests on many two way devices.

To really compare the phones on just debug screens alone you would also need the stats the tower has on receiving the signal from the phone.

I'm very interested to see the test article when it comes out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...