insurance

ab30494

In the long run if you think about it applecare + for the iphone is the better deal because you only pay $99 for the insurance and not monthly and lasts for two years. When sprints TEP cost $8 a month over a two year period =$192. Also not sure i heard they might have made it $11 for TEP but not sure does any one that?

In the long run if you think about it applecare + for the iphone is the better deal because you only pay $99 for the insurance and not monthly and lasts for two years. When sprints TEP cost $8 a month over a two year period =$192. Also not sure i heard they might have made it $11 for TEP but not sure does any one that?

My last statement still says TEP is $8.00.

Does everyone here get TEP? I think I've had it on all my lines since I've been able to get insurance..but I've never used it.

While the insurance is only $8.00 they are charging all the the taxes and so forth on the total bill. Removing insurance from 1 phone reduced the monthlybill by around $9.50 if I remember correctly.If you have multiple lines that are insured it may make more sense to self insure. I put around $57.00 a month in my pocket now cutting the insurance off 6 phone lines which means I have the money to buy outright a phone about every 6 months ($100.00 deductible plus $342 in savings). The added advantage to that is you get your phone immediately. Just wait to the time you break your phone in the middle of nowhere and they want you to FAX an affidavit before they will even start the replacement on the phone, They don't accept e-mail!!!! Then they always seem to lose the affidavit so you have to do it again!! After waiting 2 weeks for a phone I decided they aren't worth it. I put the deductible in the bank with the insurance savings and just buy a phone when I need or want a different one. This also has the added benefit of allowing you service with no contract!!! If you buy a phone outright you can go month to month which will alow you to change your services at will with no buyout!!

• Like 1

My last statement still says TEP is $8.00.

Does everyone here get TEP? I think I've had it on all my lines since I've been able to get insurance..but I've never used it.

On my EVO 4G I used it 5 times 3 times it waved the $35 repair charge to replace the display because of the LED bleed problem. 1 time I got an instant replacement because the micro USB port stopped working and 1 time got instant replacement because the tech broke the volume up popple off while replacing the screen.(Normally would have to wait for them to order a replacement)

For my EVO 4G LTE I switched to $9.99 BlackTie from BB because of the rumor'd TEP going to $11. Nice thing with BB plan is no deductible. Even asked about rooting, and the Sales guy said, if we can't turn it on we don't know if it is rooted or not ;) I also went ahead and bought the $29.99 Buy Back plan, which guarantees me they will give me $150 for the phone when I upgrade 2 years from now.

But I also was able to Get my EVOLTE for $50 because of all the discounts.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the TEP covers a stolen phone I think, AppleCare+ does not. But on the flip side Apple is way better about the warranty. Just make an appointment, show up, they swap the phone with a new one, and you are done. They dont give you grief or hassle you about it, no waiting, etc.

Back on original AppleCare with the 3GS, my fiancé (now wife) dropped hers in the pool. I was prepared to pay the 200 replacement cost but the Apple genius guy just handed me an invoice and said "have a nice day". I asked him where to pay and he just circled the amount on the invoice: $0.00.

Oh that's another nice thing about Apple... They don't make you pay retail price for the phone even without AppleCare+. You just pay the contract price but it doesn't affect your contract with the carrier at all.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

TEP is $11 if you have a Galaxy S3 and maybe an EVO not sure, but once I got the Galaxy the amount went up to $11. I just bought AppleCare for my wife's Iphone 5 seems like a good deal. Fine print say $50 replacement or so. I just paid $150 for my Galaxy S3.

TEP is $11 if you have a Galaxy S3 and maybe an EVO not sure, but once I got the Galaxy the amount went up to $11. I just bought AppleCare for my wife's Iphone 5 seems like a good deal. Fine print say $50 replacement or so. I just paid $150 for my Galaxy S3.

FYI, make sure you're comparing apples to apples here. Deductible through Asurion for the S3 is $150. You paid $150 in exchange for a 2yr contract extension. Forego the $11/mo insurance today and a replacement tomorrow will cost you $550 from Sprint.

I've decided to stop paying insurance on all four of my family lines (all smartphones). I pocket the money monthly and insure myself. I made it clear to everyone (specifically the daughters) that if they break/lose their phone, there's a LG Remarq waiting for them until that balance pays for a new phone. Just a little motivation for them to take care of their stuff. ;)

• Like 4

FYI, make sure you're comparing apples to apples here. Deductible through Asurion for the S3 is $150. You paid $150 in exchange for a 2yr contract extension. Forego the $11/mo insurance today and a replacement tomorrow will cost you $550 from Sprint.

No I just had to replace my phone through Assurion and it was $150.

I've decided to stop paying insurance on all four of my family lines (all smartphones). I pocket the money monthly and insure myself. I made it clear to everyone (specifically the daughters) that if they break/lose their phone, there's a LG Remarq waiting for them until that balance pays for a new phone. Just a little motivation for them to take care of their stuff. ;)

Great idea for the kids bro and I might even steal that advice from you. Today the kid are so entitled it's crazy. I know a few people that their kids always get the new iPhone and within the first few months they have already gone through two or three and the parents don't care and just buy them new ones each time. What a bad lesson for kids.

I made it clear to everyone (specifically the daughters) that if they break/lose their phone' date=' there's a LG Remarq waiting for them until that balance pays for a new phone. Just a little motivation for them to take care of their stuff. ;)[/quote']

I don't carry insurance on my kids lines either. I have so many spare devices. However, I do tell them if they damage theirs, they downgrade their device, not upgrade. I could see the light bulb go off in my daughter when she thought she would get my Viper. I reminded her we have a Rumor Touch and a Remarq she will get if she damages her E4GT.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I do get the AppleCare+ but that's only because my Wife is so prone to breaking devices and it covers water damage. But be aware it does *not* cover a stolen phone; the iPhone has to be present and in mostly one piece.

Also be aware that Apple will almost always replace a broken device for the current subsidized price. This isn't an officially published policy but generally they will replace a broken 16GB phone without AppleCare+ for $199, they don't make you pay the full $600 or whatever. So one replacement saves you $50 ($100 + $50 deductible) and two replacements saves you $200. If you have a higher capacity model it can save you a lot more.

AppleCare+ also extends your warranty so if there is a defect like battery not lasting it's rated lifetime, home button dying, etc then that replacement is free... the deductible only comes into play with accidental damage.

Basically think of AppleCare+ as an extended warranty that also happens to cover accidentally dropping the phone.