Network Vision/LTE - Jacksonville Market (including Gainesville/St. Augustine/Ocala)

Syph3r

How many per sector? A "high capacity" site generally has two NV antennas plus one 8T8R antenna per sector.

Is a high capacity site basically 2 sites on one tower? Sprint does it odd sometimes too. There is one tower with 2 base stations 6 panels. 3 antenna in a congested area, 2 antenna another way and 1 antenna in a more lightly congested area.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Is a high capacity site basically 2 sites on one tower? Sprint does it odd sometimes too. There is one tower with 2 base stations 6 panels. 3 antenna in a congested area, 2 antenna another way and 1 antenna in a more lightly congested area.

No, it's extra antennas for more CDMA capacity, and now for 4x2 MIMO broadcast. It used to be that the antenna was there to handle extra CDMA carriers since one antenna could only handle so much in dual CDMA+LTE broadcast. But now that they've shifted to 4x2 MIMO LTE, one antenna is LTE only, one is CDMA only. 

No, it's extra antennas for more CDMA capacity, and now for 4x2 MIMO broadcast. It used to be that the antenna was there to handle extra CDMA carriers since one antenna could only handle so much in dual CDMA+LTE broadcast. But now that they've shifted to 4x2 MIMO LTE, one antenna is LTE only, one is CDMA only.

Why does this tower have 2 lte gci and 6 pci then?

Why does this tower have 6 lte gci and pci then?

It may be a special case. There are instances of sites with an extra sector for real high capacity areas, where the split the normal 3 sector cell into 4. 

It may be a special case. There are instances of sites with an extra sector for real high capacity areas, where the split the normal 3 sector cell into 4.

No there are 2 sites like that here. They have 2 different base stations and 6 antennas all with lte as in 6 different pci's.

No there are 2 sites like that here. They have 2 different base stations and 6 antennas all with lte as in 6 different pci's.

Split sector high capacity sites.

3 sectors is just the traditional setup. 4/5/6+ sectors are very possible if needed.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 1

Split sector high capacity sites.

3 sectors is just the traditional setup. 4/5/6+ sectors are very possible if needed.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Are these types of sites uncommon? And how many 8t8r antennas would they get? 3 or 6?

Are these types of sites uncommon? And how many 8t8r antennas would they get? 3 or 6?

Very. Vast vast majority of sites are just traditional 3 sectors.

Could be three or could be 6. The 2.5 Equipment are capable of splitting sectors without new physical hardware.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Very. Vast vast majority of sites are just traditional 3 sectors.

Could be three or could be 6. The 2.5 Equipment are capable of splitting sectors without new physical hardware.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Ocala seems to be a odd place then for Sprint being 2 sites that are GMR which is not that common and 2 sites with split sectors. Interesting.

Q1 results say the network is now 70% covered by 2.5Ghz B41.  I get it maybe 50% of the time if I visit downtown but in the suburbs or southern Jacksonville, I do not see it at all.  Jacksonville should get some love since it looks like they were the initial wave 2 of LTE deployments.

Edited by Overstew
  • Like 1

Q1 results say the network is now 70% covered by 2.5Ghz B41. I get it maybe 50% of the time if I visit downtown but in the suburbs or southern Jacksonville, I do not see it at all. Jacksonville should get some love since it looks like they were the initial wave 2 of LTE deployments.

Most are not upgraded in north florida

Most are not upgraded in borth florida

Argghhh...they also mention further NGN funding will occur in 2017 to 2018.  Hopefully the Jacksonville market is funded for 2016.

Argghhh...they also mention further NGN funding will occur in 2017 to 2018. Hopefully the Jacksonville market is funded for 2016.

Maybe they did. My home tower is the first in Ocala to get 2.5 equipment on it which is apart of the jax market. Gainesville may be starting too. A list of cities that will see NGN would be nice but it would have backlash too. I would personally want to know so if you want to wait it out or look for better service it will be up to you instead of never knowing.

Yeah, they seemed to imply that NGN spend will be heavily influenced by your local governments. So stay on top of them as permits go through. I have a feeling that permitting for 'small cells' is going to look a lot different than macro sites and it will be harder to track. Although, every local government will be different. I can only image what people will do when they learn those small little boxes on their power/street lights/etc are mini cell towers. NIMBY galore.

• Like 1

I cant wait to see a small cell in action.

Yeah, they seemed to imply that NGN spend will be heavily influenced by your local governments. So stay on top of them as permits go through. I have a feeling that permitting for 'small cells' is going to look a lot different than macro sites and it will be harder to track. Although, every local government will be different. I can only image what people will do when they learn those small little boxes on their power/street lights/etc are mini cell towers. NIMBY galore.

As they say, Every site is unique.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Any way to get on b41 if I have a if it is in testing mode? I see the new pci but I can't access it. A test prl perhaps?

Any way to get on b41 if I have a if it is in testing mode? I see the new pci but I can't access it. A test prl perhaps?

There are some phones you could change what bands would connect from the ##DATA# menu. I believe the nexus 5 was one of the devices I think someone said that a upgrade stopped that.

If it is in "test mode" it maybe using a different plmn so you won't be able to connect anyways.

My advice would be turn on SCP logging and go near the site and toggle airplane mode a few times. The logs will tell you if you connected to B41 even if it was only connected for 2 seconds. Not enough time to see it on SCP but enough time to put the GCI in your log. There were a few Sprint B41 in Jacksonville that I connected that had limited range when first turned on.

For the heck of it, I decided to look at the local permits again since it came up in the Marcelo thread.

The last Sprint permit posted for St Johns cty was almost a year ago.

http://webappserver1.co.st-johns.fl.us/bcc/GrowthManagementServices/Building/WATSWebX/Permit/BLPermit.aspx?PermitNo=11504157&PopUp=1, posted on 8/18/2015 12:15:23 PM. 

:dep: 

For the heck of it, I decided to look at the local permits again since it came up in the Marcelo thread.

http://webappserver1.co.st-johns.fl.us/bcc/GrowthManagementServices/Building/WATSWebX/Permit/BLPermit.aspx?PermitNo=11504157&PopUp=1, posted on 8/18/2015 12:15:23 PM. 

You are not a premier user, there is a ton of stuff on there about site upgrades and small cell/mini macros etc..

Not good. Capex down to 3 billion for the year too.

He did say it's going to fluctuate, not a solid number, so it's all about when and where permitting gets approved. Also, I don't permits will show up in normal places due to the odd nature of deployments.

PRL does not affect LTE connectivity except for a master on/off "switch" for LTE scanning. 

• Like 1

What are your B41 speeds on your local site now?  How do they compare to the other carriers?  I'm still monitoring Sprint with my RingPlus number, but I haven't seen anything new recently.

What are your B41 speeds on your local site now? How do they compare to the other carriers? I'm still monitoring Sprint with my RingPlus number, but I haven't seen anything new recently.

Well its odd. So they started installing equipment Thursday last week. They looked like they had it done by Saturday but Sun-Wed nothing and no activity on the tower either. this morning around 9am they had people climbing back up there. I dont know if they are still there or not but there has not been any b41 activities yet. They did change the down tilt on b25 and now instead of being on pci 371 im on pci 33 with improved signal strength and snr but its still 0.5 mbps speeds over there.

• Like 1