Network Vision/LTE - Jacksonville Market (including Gainesville/St. Augustine/Ocala)

Syph3r

I don't think rootmetric will show an improvement for Daytona because it has been like that for a while. B41 second carrier was pretty wide spread but they are orlando market towers.  

When I was in Jacksonville a week ago I connected to a new B41 (at least new to me) on the east side of town only stayed connect for a short time before it kicked me back to Clearwire. The range was very short even for B41 like maybe a 1/2 mile.

I don't think rootmetric will show an improvement for Daytona because it has been like that for a while. B41 second carrier was pretty wide spread but they are orlando market towers.

When I was in Jacksonville a week ago I connected to a new B41 (at least new to me) on the east side of town only stayed connect for a short time before it kicked me back to Clearwire. The range was very short even for B41 like maybe a 1/2 mile.

Yeah orlando market towers are definitely higher priority. I havent seen a new band 41 tower in a jacksonville market in months. Funny part is most towers dont have it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah orlando market towers are definitely higher priority. I havent seen a new band 41 tower in a jacksonville market in months. Funny part is most towers dont have it.

hmmm is there any 8T8R towers in the area?

With the amount of debt Sprint is facing I fear the upgrades will be delayed in favor of markets where Sprint has higher marketshare. I'm guessing Jacksonville will probably start NGN in Q4 of this year.

Debt is not the issue.

Issue is the likes of Jacksonville have to compete against the mega metropolis that is the northeast and the southwest for attention.

Alcatel-Lucent is Nokia now after all.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Debt is not the issue.

Issue is the likes of Jacksonville have to compete against the mega metropolis that is the northeast and the southwest for attention.

Alcatel-Lucent is Nokia now after all.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Aren't there dedicated teams for each region? Seems kind of far-fetched to leave a lot of markets in the Southeast untouched. I wonder how Ericsson would have done if they were in charge of NGN here.

Aren't there dedicated teams for each region? Seems kind of far-fetched to leave a lot of markets in the Southeast untouched. I wonder how Ericsson would have done if they were in charge of NGN here.

There are indeed dedicated "teams" but it's not far fetched if you remember how the NV  1-2-3-4 rounds (2011/2012/2013) went.

Now that Nokia has to manage Alcatel-Lucents markets, deploy their own equipment in former Alcatel-Lucent land (Hello Nokia small cells in Baltimore & NYC), integrate with Alcatel-Lucent operations (they began laying off some ALU employees in the past week), etc etc it's probably a pretty good chance they decided to work hard on higher priority markets for now that Sprint is languishing in (see Southern California & Northeast). 

Also NGN is an all encompassing network densification project that affects all of Sprints technologies.

Ericsson is in charge of the Band 25/26 (both macro and small) operations while Nokia is only in charge of Band 41. So blame is also on them and Sprint if they decide not to deploy their  own B25/26 mini macros or small cells.

I envision "funding" is going to be the go to word for why some markets have minimal to no work done while others have a huge amount of work going on. Sigh...

• Like 3

Turrible%20just%20turrible.jpg

• Like 1

There are indeed dedicated "teams" but it's not far fetched if you remember how the NV 1-2-3-4 rounds (2011/2012/2013) went.

Now that Nokia has to manage Alcatel-Lucents markets, deploy their own equipment in former Alcatel-Lucent land (Hello Nokia small cells in Baltimore & NYC), integrate with Alcatel-Lucent operations (they began laying off some ALU employees in the past week), etc etc it's probably a pretty good chance they decided to work hard on higher priority markets for now that Sprint is languishing in (see Southern California & Northeast).

Also NGN is an all encompassing network densification project that affects all of Sprints technologies.

Ericsson is in charge of the Band 25/26 (both macro and small) operations while Nokia is only in charge of Band 41. So blame is also on them and Sprint if they decide not to deploy their own B25/26 mini macros or small cells.

I envision "funding" is going to be the go to word for why some markets have minimal to no work done while others have a huge amount of work going on. Sigh...

Would you say they are on wave 2? Also what would be the fastest method of congestion relief? Can they add a second band 25 carrier to the Jacksonville/Gainesville/Ocala market since they have been shaving pcs down in evdo for more lte?

Turrible%20just%20turrible.jpg

Seeing as they're part of the problem, yes it is turrible. :blink: I feel like just adding B41 to all existing sites and readjusting B26 for coverage and not capacity would make Sprint's network triumphant in Jax.  But I'll leave the network techs to it.

• Like 1

Would you say they are on wave 2? Also what would be the fastest method of congestion relief? Can they add a second band 25 carrier to the Jacksonville/Gainesville/Ocala market since they have been shaving pcs down in evdo for more lte?

Unknown but likely since it's pretty obvious there's others markets with a ton of work going on right now.

Site density increase on all bands. Band 41 provides the highest band aid fix but theres nothing stopping Ericsson sprint from cell splitting and adding small cells on their own. An extra sector here and there is extra capacity no matter the band.

Mhm

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I went by that Sprint site by Lowe's off Old St Augustine Rd and 295, still no upgrade. Legacy 3G panels. Sprint running really behind on this site, according to their planned upgrades.

Yeah. Sprint for the time being has made northern florida or should I say the entire panhandle and jacksonville market low priority. I don't know why but that's how it is currently.

Yeah. Sprint for the time being has made northern florida or should I say the entire panhandle and jacksonville market low priority. I don't know why but that's how it is currently.

So you are seeing a lot of upgrades in Ocala?  I know that is kind of between Orlando and Jacksonville.

So you are seeing a lot of upgrades in Ocala? I know that is kind of between Orlando and Jacksonville.

Coverage wise hwy 75 needs a few towers but at least in Ocala and gainesville I can day in both cities im on lte like 90-95% of the time its capacity issues for most part here. Jax could use capacity and maybe a few towers but they have lte in most places as well.

In Ocala the last thing they did was back in November. They finally finished a new macro site at a church with the panels hidden behind a cross which is cool and they changed the down tilt of a another site to cover more. There has not been a upgrade here since so we are 5 months and counting.

Coverage wise hwy 75 needs a few towers but at least in Ocala and gainesville I can day in both cities im on lte like 90-95% of the time its capacity issues for most part here. Jax could use capacity and maybe a few towers but they have lte in most places as well.

In Ocala the last thing they did was back in November. They finally finished a new macro site at a church with the panels hidden behind a cross which is cool and they changed the down tilt of a another site to cover more. There has not been a upgrade here since so we are 5 months and counting.

Sprint capacity has gotten worse.  They are still great for calls/texting, but data really needs improvement.  There are times where loading even Google Maps becomes a hassle. 

• Like 1

Sprint capacity has gotten worse. They are still great for calls/texting, but data really needs improvement. There are times where loading even Google Maps becomes a hassle.

I agree when Sprint starts deploying more band 41 they need to be pedal to the metal and spraying nitrous in the process. This capacity problem can be fixed easily with more sites.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Sprint capacity has gotten worse. They are still great for calls/texting, but data really needs improvement. There are times where loading even Google Maps becomes a hassle.

Me too. Songs even have a hard time playing in certain areas in daylight with great signal but nothing is being done about it.

• Like 1

Well I'll keep the local permits open and check that as permits start popping up. Sprint density could use work but I do think if Sprint focused on rolling out B41 and configuring B26 to be the band to connect to indoors/edge of coverage, things can be a lot better. Sprint's B26 has never reached anywhere near their 3G coverage, despite it being capable.

Well I'll keep the local permits open and check that as permits start popping up. Sprint density could use work but I do think if Sprint focused on rolling out B41 and configuring B26 to be the band to connect to indoors/edge of coverage, things can be a lot better. Sprint's B26 has never reached anywhere near their 3G coverage, despite it being capable.

You might want to come to ocala because here band 26 is really close in coverage to 3g. Basically if band 26 is at edge of cell then 3g is too. They went crazy last year adjusting band 26. But they still use b 26 for capacity which I guess they dont have a choice since they refuse to add capacity.

You might want to come to ocala because here band 26 is really close in coverage to 3g. Basically if band 26 is at edge of cell then 3g is too. They went crazy last year adjusting band 26. But they still use b 26 for capacity which I guess they dont have a choice since they refuse to add capacity.

Not here dude band 26 drops off to quickly. I've noticed that T-Mobile band 4 travels further than band 26 in my testing. Sprint needs to optimize this market more.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1