Network Vision/LTE - Jacksonville Market (including Gainesville/St. Augustine/Ocala)

Syph3r

• 2 weeks later...

So Sprint just posted this and I gotta say I'm calling BS on this one. http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-beats-t-mobile-on-network-reliability-in-jacksonville-fla.htm. I don't trust neilson as all of there data about Sprint contradicts other sources. I have been to Jacksonville enough times to see that Sprint is not faster than T-Mobile. Call coverage probably since they have 1x800 but data no way besides having more reach thanks to 800. There is not enough band 41 towers in Jacksonville meaning when you hit band 25/26 you really feel it especially in congested areas. I want to see detailed information about how they come up with this stuff. Its interesting that this was August 2015 when Jacksonville was suffering from some kind of capacity issue. 

So Sprint just posted this and I gotta say I'm calling BS on this one. http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-beats-t-mobile-on-network-reliability-in-jacksonville-fla.htm. I don't trust neilson as all of there data about Sprint contradicts other sources. I have been to Jacksonville enough times to see that Sprint is not faster than T-Mobile. Call coverage probably since they have 1x800 but data no way besides having more reach thanks to 800. There is not enough band 41 towers in Jacksonville meaning when you hit band 25/26 you really feel it especially in congested areas. I want to see detailed information about how they come up with this stuff. Its interesting that this was August 2015 when Jacksonville was suffering from some kind of capacity issue.

Sprint is definitely more reliable but definitely not faster. My kids have T-Mobile as a part of my mother's 4/$150. I must say T-Mobile is blazing fast but as far as making and receiving calls it is not good. In fact my home is a T-Mobile dead zone. Their phones float between edge and hspa. When I try calling them their phones either go straight to voicemail or has a busy signal. Even with wifi calling active. I agree with you Terrell Sprint is padding the stats with this one.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sprint is definitely more reliable but definitely not faster. My kids have T-Mobile as a part of my mother's 4/$150. I must say T-Mobile is blazing fast but as far as making and receiving calls it is not good. In fact my home is a T-Mobile dead zone. Their phones float between edge and hspa. When I try calling them their phones either go straight to voicemail or has a busy signal. Even with wifi calling active. I agree with you Terrell Sprint is padding the stats with this one.

Sometimes speed and reliability go hand and hand its not all about call coverage. If I have LTE but it works like 2G then it is deemed unreliable. Sprints LTE coverage is quite good there but thats where it stops. Sometimes they are fast but I would say 65% of the time that's not the case in my personal experiences. Tmobile whether it was LTE or HSPA+ it was really fast about everything however they do have more dead zones in Jacksonville since they dont have 700a there. Its kind of a toss up and mimics my experience throughout most of Florida save for Tampa, Daytona, Kissimmee, Orlando and Miami. Tmobile where it has 3g/lte works well while Sprint has more coverage but congestion makes them unreliable in many places. So if they mean coverage reliability then Sprint wins but if they mean speed reliability then T-Mobile wins. I was in daytona yesterday and Sprint was great even when band 41 was not around so I know they can step it up.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sometimes speed and reliability go hand and hand its not all about call coverage. If I have LTE but it works like 2G then it is deemed unreliable. Sprints LTE coverage is quite good there but thats where it stops. Sometimes they are fast but I would say 65% of the time that's not the case in my personal experiences. Tmobile whether it was LTE or HSPA+ it was really fast about everything however they do have more dead zones in Jacksonville since they dont have 700a there. Its kind of a toss up and mimics my experience throughout most of Florida save for Tampa, Daytona, Kissimmee, Orlando and Miami. Tmobile where it has 3g/lte works well while Sprint has more coverage but congestion makes them unreliable in many places. So if they mean coverage reliability then Sprint wins but if they mean speed reliability then T-Mobile wins. I was in daytona yesterday and Sprint was great even when band 41 was not around so I know they can step it up.

That's true T-Mobile should be getting some 700 here part of the new spectrum that they have acquired. I expect them to get it rolled out fast. Probably faster than Sprint adding band 41 to more sites. It does amaze me how good T-Mobile is in some places despite not having any low band. Some places T-Mobile has LTE on band 4 and I'll be on 3G.

• Like 1

That's true T-Mobile should be getting some 700 here part of the new spectrum that they have acquired. I expect them to get it rolled out fast. Probably faster than Sprint adding band 41 to more sites. It does amaze me how good T-Mobile is in some places despite not having any low band. Some places T-Mobile has LTE on band 4 and I'll be on 3G.

I think 4x2 MIMO is why band 4 is so good without low band. They have more stable SNR values because of it. Sprint only using 5x5 and 2x2 MIMO makes it inferior in my opinion. Lucky for us we are in a ericsson/nokia market so that will be fixed and whenever the spectrum swap is approved Sprint can get that PCS up to speed not to meantion 3xCA TDD LTE. The question is can Sprint deploy as fast a T-Mobile can?

From personal experiences, I can say T-Mobile on average is a lot quicker than Sprint but Sprint tends to hold a signal in more places in Jacksonville.  The problem I believe Sprint has is the lack of B41 sites since their coverage is good but capacity needs work.  And I expect to see Jacksonville start getting faster as NGN takes place.  AT&T seems to have congestion issues too during peak hours, which I hope B29/30 help relieve that stress.  Verizon seems to be doing fine with B4/B13.

• Like 1

From personal experiences, I can say T-Mobile on average is a lot quicker than Sprint but Sprint tends to hold a signal in more places in Jacksonville. The problem I believe Sprint has is the lack of B41 sites since their coverage is good but capacity needs work. And I expect to see Jacksonville start getting faster as NGN takes place. AT&T seems to have congestion issues too during peak hours, which I hope B29/30 help relieve that stress. Verizon seems to be doing fine with B4/B13.

I wonder when NGN begins? Its almost mid March and I haven't heard anything about it. Besides that one small cell in Miami.

I wonder when NGN begins? Its almost mid March and I haven't heard anything about it. Besides that one small cell in Miami.

Atlanta and Miami already have some deployed.

From Sprint's executive team, they have told me that Sprint does not have any major rollout plans at least around me in Eastern/Southern Jacksonville.  This of course could have changed, but I have received an update on this only about two weeks ago.

From Sprint's executive team, they have told me that Sprint does not have any major rollout plans at least around me in Eastern/Southern Jacksonville. This of course could have changed, but I have received an update on this only about two weeks ago.

They all say that. Its like Sprint executives are not in the loop about upgrades

They all say that. Its like Sprint executives are not in the loop about upgrades

Exactly, I spoke to someone a couple of weeks ago about some issues we were having near my home, they told me no upgrades were scheduled. Two days later the second carrier comes online.

• Like 1

That is reassuring, to an extent.  Even customer service representatives see tower upgrades in their upgrade checker application call Glance.  And I know some upgrades show up in Glance up to 4 months in advance.

Exactly, I spoke to someone a couple of weeks ago about some issues we were having near my home, they told me no upgrades were scheduled. Two days later the second carrier comes online.

From my experiences there is no one your can call and nothing you can do including sprint zone which doesn't solve anything most of the time. It just happens when it happens.

From my experiences there is no one your can call and nothing you can do including sprint zone which doesn't solve anything most of the time. It just happens when it happens.

Actually, I got in contact with Marci on twitter, and they were unbelievable. She had a local engineer get in contact with me and they were able to make adjustments and told me when the second carrier was going live on one of my local towers.

It truly was a very unexpected delight.

Actually, I got in contact with Marci on twitter, and they were unbelievable. She had a local engineer get in contact with me and they were able to make adjustments and told me when the second carrier was going live on one of my local towers.

It truly was a very unexpected delight.

I want marci!!!

There are ways of getting things done. It just depends on where your area, and the site in question is in terms of priority. If you are in a low priority area, you can report all day long every day and nothing happens. On the other hand, if you're in a high traffic/high priority area, a few reports can tip the scale and a crew heads out. I put in a couple reports on a site here that stopped broadcasting B41 and it was fixed in two days. It had been off for a few weeks.

Wonder why sprint has not gone too 4x2 mimo yet .

As I have been told if a site has 2xCA then it is using 4x2 mimo and ericsson has been quietly rolling it out also so I hear.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone see how much lte plus in Jacksonville and st augustine on the new maps is really little now? Its like Ive been saying there has been no progress in north florida with sprint at all.

I just looked at the map and you're right. I counted roughly 10 locations with LTE Plus signal (meaning 10 sites total in Jacksonville.)

I just looked at the map and you're right. I counted roughly 10 locations with LTE Plus signal (meaning 10 sites total in Jacksonville.)

Either the map is wrong or nokia failed jacksonville but I think the map is wrong.