Network Vision/LTE - Jacksonville Market (including Gainesville/St. Augustine/Ocala)

Syph3r

You must have the EVO LTE. What is your signal strength in RSRP? http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

It's really weird I could be standing completly still in the same spot and see the signal bounce from RSRP (dBm)-94 to -117 in a matter of seconds.

It's really weird I could be standing completly still in the same spot and see the signal bounce from RSRP (dBm)-94 to -117 in a matter of seconds.

That's a huge variation. From very good to very bad. I wonder if you are perfectly between sectors. Check to see what the Cell ID is in LTE Engineering when it is good and bad. If they are different, then that could be it.

I just thought of something. Are you getting the signal strength from the LTE Engineering screen or in the Settings/About menu? The reason why I ask, is that -117dBm RSRP is a -92dBm RSSI signal equivalence. Since 1x and EVDO are measured in RSSI, your device could be switching back and forth between 1x/EVDO and LTE.

If you get the signal strength from the Debug LTE Engineering screen, it cannot get mixed up with anything. It will purely be LTE RSRP.

That's a huge variation. From very good to very bad. I wonder if you are perfectly between sectors. Check to see what the Cell ID is in LTE Engineering when it is good and bad. If they are different, then that could be it.

Nope,

The serving cell and all other numbers stay the same and its just bouncing all over the place from -96 to -116 each time it refreshes.

I know the thresholds need to be changed because if i put my phone in LTE ONLY mode, I can walk around every room in my house and get USABLE LTE signal. The speed tests are low (like 1.5 to 2.5 Mbps) but to me that is better than 3G. I know i have seen some forums talking about modifying the thresholds but has anyone been able to actually do it yet?

Edited by Syph3r

Nope,

The serving cell and all other numbers stay the same and its just bouncing all over the place from -96 to -116 each time it refreshes.

I know the thresholds need to be changed because if i put my phone in LTE ONLY mode, I can walk around every room in my house and get USABLE LTE signal. The speed tests are low (like 1.5 to 2.5 Mbps) but to me that is better than 3G. I know i have seen some forums talking about modifying the thresholds but has anyone been able to actually do it yet?

You definitely are bouncing back and forth between 3G and LTE. I think that's the difference in signal strength you are seeing. -117dBm is a weak LTE signal. You must be a good distance from that tower or have a block/brick house. What kind of LTE signal do you get outside on the tower side of your home?

I just thought of something. Are you getting the signal strength from the LTE Engineering screen or in the Settings/About menu? The reason why I ask, is that -117dBm RSRP is a -92dBm RSSI signal equivalence. Since 1x and EVDO are measured in RSSI, your device could be switching back and forth between 1x/EVDO and LTE.

If you get the signal strength from the Debug LTE Engineering screen, it cannot get mixed up with anything. It will purely be LTE RSRP.

I'm looking at the RSRP in LTE Engineering bounce from -118dBm to -96dBm each time it refreshes....... Bizarre, right?

I'm looking at the RSRP in LTE Engineering bounce from -118dBm to -96dBm each time it refreshes....... Bizarre, right?

Wow. That is definitely bizarre. But it is a brand new site. Hopefully it will improve over the next few days. Keep us posted. Thanks for the feedback tonight.

You definitely are bouncing back and forth between 3G and LTE. I think that's the difference in signal strength you are seeing. -117dBm is a weak LTE signal. You must be a good distance from that tower or have a block/brick house. What kind of LTE signal do you get outside on the tower side of your home?

Yeah its easier to keep 4G then it is to go from 3G to 4G. I have to be standing next to a window to get it but then I can move away a little bit. But once it drops to 3G I have to go back to the window to get it.

I went outside and the signal doesn't bounce as much. It sticks around -101 to -105. I live in a Stucco house so i guess that could be the cause of some of it.

Yeah its easier to keep 4G then it is to go from 3G to 4G. I have to be standing next to a window to get it but then I can move away a little bit. But once it drops to 3G I have to go back to the window to get it.

I went outside and the signal doesn't bounce as much. It sticks around -101 to -105. I live in a Stucco house so i guess that could be the cause of some of it.

. Yeah, stucco with its chicken wire lath is no friend to RF. But a huge variability staying in one spot in your home is odd.

I went to the doctors inlet site and did a couple speed test and got a pic of the tower. I don't know how good the pic is going to show being that I took it with my EVO LTE

IMAG0758.jpg

IMAG0759.jpg

Screenshot_2012-11-14-13-36-38.png

Screenshot_2012-11-14-13-36-54.png

I forgot to test the 3g while I was there

Edited by tybo31316
  • Like 1

I went to the doctors inlet site and did a couple speed test and got a pic of the tower. I don't know how good the pic is going to show being that I took it with my EVO LTE

IMAG0758.jpg

IMAG0759.jpg

Screenshot_2012-11-14-13-36-38.png

Screenshot_2012-11-14-13-36-54.png

I forgot to test the 3g while I was there

did you stay on 220 or did u go up to blanding on college. Anyways how far a way on the evo before u lost connection? figures after i move thats one of the first towers to be finished. lol

I got to the post office on college before the signal cut out but I think someone with a GSIII got to Peoria before it cut out. The thresholds on the EVO need to be seriously adjusted. It drops the 4G connection way too soon.

I got to the post office on college before the signal cut out but I think someone with a GSIII got to Peoria before it cut out. The thresholds on the EVO need to be seriously adjusted. It drops the 4G connection way too soon.

I took college drive to Blanding Boulevard. I stay connected to Ltd until I reach Peoria drive also. Maybe next time I'm in the area I will continue on 220 until I get to 17. It looks like your mapping turns out to be pretty accurate.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Edited by tybo31316
  • Like 1

I took college drive to Blanding Boulevard. I stay connected to Ltd until I reach Peoria drive also. Maybe next time I'm in the area I will continue on 220 until I get to 17. It looks like your mapping turns out to be pretty accurate.

Do you have an EVO LTE? Your profile says EVO 3D.

I'll check the BayMeadows tower again tonight if I get out of class at a decent time. I'll keep you guys posted. This tower has had NV panels since Oct 18th, so nearly a month later they should have LTE active on it, right? :P

I rode past that site yesterday and couldnt connect but it may have been I was driving 70mph past it so I may have never connected to that tower.

I rode past that site yesterday and couldnt connect but it may have been I was driving 70mph past it so I may have never connected to that tower.

Man, you're all over the place. I'll go by there soon and let you know the outcome. You're on the EVO LTE, right?

Yes I'm on the EVO. The job I have requires me to drive all over. I live on the northside and work in Middleburg. Also once a week I have to take a drive to university Blvd and on my days off I may end up anywhere. I havent been out towards the beaches in a few months.

Yes I'm on the EVO. The job I have requires me to drive all over. I live on the northside and work in Middleburg. Also once a week I have to take a drive to university Blvd and on my days off I may end up anywhere. I havent been out towards the beaches in a few months.

There is no 4g active there, yet. What gives? The antenna installation should be the last thing to do!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Sandridge Rd in Clay County

post-7498-13531689589477_thumb.jpg

Layin down sensorly

Edit* couldn't tell where its coming from lost just north of green cove its gor to be north of 209.. on a run to orlando or I would investigate more

Edited by bandmember01
  • Like 2