Network Vision/LTE - Jacksonville Market (including Gainesville/St. Augustine/Ocala)

Syph3r

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

OMG!! Did this happen today?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What speeds are you getting?

OMG!! Did this happen today?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t know exactly when it happened. I just happened to check out of curiosity. Looks like they are doing it in clusters near downtown. The sites near my house is still 10x10.

5 hours ago, tybo31316 said:

Speed test were only like 5mbps I’m assuming the site was congested or maybe I had a weak signal.

I have seen plenty of towers in Orlando that are under 5mbps even with 15mhz but I have also seen some with 80-90 down and over 30up

• Like 1

I have seen plenty of towers in Orlando that are under 5mbps even with 15mhz but I have also seen some with 80-90 down and over 30up

Sprint has been performing very well here lately. I don’t know if Sprint has upgraded any new sites with band 41. My experience has been great. I drove from Jax to Washington DC I held on to LTE probably 90% of the time. I was shocked especially in the rural areas we traveled through. My kids on T-Mobile was bouncing all over the place from LTE to No Service to 4G. Their signals were all over the place. Also while in the DMV area LTE on Sprint was solid.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tybo31316 said:

Sprint has been performing very well here lately. I don’t know if Sprint has upgraded any new sites with band 41. My experience has been great. I drove from Jax to Washington DC I held on to LTE probably 90% of the time. I was shocked especially in the rural areas we traveled through. My kids on T-Mobile was bouncing all over the place from LTE to No Service to 4G. Their signals were all over the place. Also while in the DMV area LTE on Sprint was solid.

Interesting last summer when we went to Charleston S.C. Sprint was fine to my surprise until we got half way through GA but after that it was long stretches of 3G, 1x800, roaming while Tmobile was on LTE and 4G most of the time. When I tried At&t going back home At&t only lost lte service for like 2 mins the entire 5.5 hour drive. Alot must have changed in the past 9 months

• Like 1

SC is probably 8 of the 10% that is still bad. GA is probably 1 to 1.5%. Were you in Charleston before or after B41 launched there? It is very spotty on I 95 most of the way until Florance,SC. North of that if you lose lte on the Interstate you just have to toggle airplane to get it back. Sprint still has work to do in SC, AL, and GA.

The only other big hole on I95 other than SC/GA is eastern CT/RI

SC is probably 8 of the 10% that is still bad. GA is probably 1 to 1.5%. Were you in Charleston before or after B41 launched there? It is very spotty on I 95 most of the way until Florance,SC. North of that if you lose lte on the Interstate you just have to toggle airplane to get it back. Sprint still has work to do in SC, AL, and GA.
The only other big hole on I95 other than SC/GA is eastern CT/RI
Yeah I took I95. It was the eclipse weekend as I traveled there to see it. Sprint was horrible in Charleston though and even worse in Savannah G.A. B41 was non existent and it really showed the network was basically unusable a ridiculous amount of the time in both cities. I relied heavily on my iPad with T-Mobile hotspot as my internet and T-Mobile simply blew Sprint out of the water in coverage, speed and reliability.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Interesting last summer when we went to Charleston S.C. Sprint was fine to my surprise until we got half way through GA but after that it was long stretches of 3G, 1x800, roaming while Tmobile was on LTE and 4G most of the time. When I tried At&t going back home At&t only lost lte service for like 2 mins the entire 5.5 hour drive. Alot must have changed in the past 9 months

Att is flawless when it comes to holding LTE. Their issue is capacity in some places. The experience is probably better it’s just I have an old device. iPhone 6

• 3 weeks later...
Not sure if anyone keeps track of this anymore, but RootMetrics released 1H 2018 results for Jacksonville.
http://rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/jacksonville-fl/2018/1H
image.thumb.png.9c2b4a0e3805ea0e52777be26b326ee6.png
Looks like Sprint is just a few points behind AT&T.  It looks very comparable between the two.  
Network speed is holding them back. They need a little push. 15mhz b25 on every tower and more towers getting b41 equipment should fix this. It's all about how fast they are willing to move.

Just now, Terrell352 said:

Network speed is holding them back. They need a little push. 15mhz b25 on every tower and more towers getting b41 equipment should fix this. It's all about how fast they are willing to move.

They are actually moving pretty fast in St Johns Cty.

http://webapp.sjcfl.us/Applications/WATSWebX/Permit/SearchResults.aspx?PermitType=1&PermitNo=&Clrsht=&Parcel=&Addr=&ProjNm=&CLNm=&CLId=&SepticNo=&Lgl1=&Lgl2=&Lgl3=&PU=501&FromDt=&ToDt=&PP=False&Sort=&SortOrder=

A lot of those permits are Sprints, especially the ones from this year!  I've personally been connecting to more B41 too.

They are actually moving pretty fast in St Johns Cty.
http://webapp.sjcfl.us/Applications/WATSWebX/Permit/SearchResults.aspx?PermitType=1&PermitNo=&Clrsht=&Parcel=&Addr=&ProjNm=&CLNm=&CLId=&SepticNo=&Lgl1=&Lgl2=&Lgl3=&PU=501&FromDt=&ToDt=&PP=False&Sort=&SortOrder=

A lot of those permits are Sprints, especially the ones from this year!  I've personally been connecting to more B41 too.
Good to see. I see some activities in Tallahassee, St Augustine but Gainesville and Ocala is minimal. St Augustine is honestly not good for Sprint. All of these areas have one thing in common. Almost no B41 towers at all. Surviving on b25 10mhz and b26 5mhz without 4x4 mimo, 256qam and almost no B41 in 2018 is difficult.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

Good to see. I see some activities in Tallahassee, St Augustine but Gainesville and Ocala is minimal. St Augustine is honestly not good for Sprint. All of these areas have one thing in common. Almost no B41 towers at all. Surviving on b25 10mhz and b26 5mhz without 4x4 mimo, 256qam and almost no B41 in 2018 is difficult.

Are you still running all four carriers?  My friends/cousins have been seeing declining quality on AT&T.  Have they been declining in your area?

Edited by Overstew

Are you still running all four carriers?  My friends/cousins have been seeing declining quality on AT&T.  Have they been declining in your area?
On At&t they were but very recently they added b66. Here in Ocala they now run 10mhz of band 12, 30 and 66.
5mhz of band 5
15mhz of band 2 with b2, 5 and 12 on basically every tower and alot of towers with b66. Also lots of 4x4 mimo and 256qam and 4xCA. At&t is great here.

• Like 1

Sprint on the other hand is 98% of towers with b25 10mhz, b26 5mhz and some still 5mhz b25. No 4x4 mimo, no 256 qam, no CA. It's like Sprint is 3 years in the past.

Just now, Terrell352 said:

Sprint on the other hand is 98% of towers with b25 10mhz, b26 5mhz and some still 5mhz b25. No 4x4 mimo, no 256 qam, no CA. It's like Sprint is 3 years in the past.

I feel like they may not invest in those newer technologies since they are still actively trying to merge.  They are adding B41 to towers though so thats neat. 

I feel like they may not invest in those newer technologies since they are still actively trying to merge.  They are adding B41 to towers though so thats neat. 
Its good but they are still moving really slow to me. B41 has been around for 5 years. It should have been done. I have 5 permits in Ocala. Three in December and two in Feb. None of them as of today have been touched. They all expire in June and August.

In comparison T-Mobile filed a permit to get on a Sprint tower three weeks back and they finished the whole tower last week.

If Sprint is serious they need to be moving at speeds like that. I already count 4 new TMobile towers here. Sprint added 2 new towers two years ago. Granted Sprint has better tower density than most carriers in the city limits but that lack of capacity makes the network terrible.