Sprint 3g at Atlanta Airport?

Steven800

I might be flying to ATL to go FL and I was wondering does anyone know if 3G is usable there cause I might have a layover for 4hrs and i know that at ATL you have to pay for wifi and that they also have DAS to help coverage inside the airport. But if im going to stay there that long i at least want to be able to watch movies over 3g or i could go to Charlotte and they have free wifi. So if anyone has been to the airport their recently can you tell me how fast 3g is there. Thanks

When I first got the EVO 4G WIMAX I flew into ATL from MIA, going to DC. I had a layover, and I had pretty good 4G service. That was the same week the EVO came out, so I can imagine it's been improved since then.

I might be flying to ATL to go FL and I was wondering does anyone know if 3G is usable there cause I might have a layover for 4hrs and i know that at ATL you have to pay for wifi and that they also have DAS to help coverage inside the airport. But if im going to stay there that long i at least want to be able to watch movies over 3g or i could go to Charlotte and they have free wifi. So if anyone has been to the airport their recently can you tell me how fast 3g is there. Thanks

Sprint 3G? Crowded airport? I'm judging you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

When I was there 3g and 4g were decent. But what do I know....I am comparing it to the baton rouge market.

I didn't do any streaming...I was just using tapatalk and some browsing with no issues.

• Like 1

Well honestly, 3g performance will be hit or miss at the airport, hopefully its a hit when you get there.

• Like 1

Lol, I can't believe we're even talking about this? Watching a movie over Sprints' 3G network? Steven800, I think you would have better luck walking up to someone with a laptop watching a movie and asking to join in, LMAO! According to PCMag.com Fastest Mobile Networks 2012 Atlanta Georgia results for 3G are average download of 0.58Mbps and average upload is 0.30Mbps. The UDP Packet Stream success tests list that only 25.6% of video data made it though so I don't think you'll be watching any movies via 3G there unless they have a sell internet powered picocell or something? It's possible that the airport has a faster connection but I would think Sprints' infrastructure would be the same though out the area unless like I said a picocell or special tower?

EDIT: Just checked the PCMag test site and one of the sites they tested was right next to the airport I believe you are going to. Just check the link below to be sure. Maybe you could borrow someones old OG EVO for the day and switch your number to it until you leave?

More Info:

http://www.pcmag.com...,2405598,00.asp

Regards,

5th :(

Edited by Fifth313ment

Lol, I can't believe we're even talking about this? Watching a movie over Sprints' 3G network? Steven800, I think you would have better luck walking up to someone with a laptop watching a movie and asking to join in, LMAO! According to PCMag.com Fastest Mobile Networks 2012 Atlanta Georgia results for 3G are average download of 0.58Mbps and average upload is 0.30Mbps. The UDP Packet Stream success tests list that only 25.6% of video data made it though so I don't think you'll be watching any movies via 3G there unless they have a sell internet powered picocell or something? It's possible that the airport has a faster connection but I would think Sprints' infrastructure would be the same though out the area unless like I said a picocell or special tower?

EDIT: Just checked the PCMag test site and one of the sites they tested was right next to the airport I believe you are going to. Just check the link below to be sure. Maybe you could borrow someones old OG EVO for the day and switch your number to it until you leave?

More Info:

Regards,

Since this is ATL, isn't there a possibility that he could connect to a Network Vision tower, thus rendering the PCMag tests irrelevant?

More Info:

Regards,

I average over 1Mbps in most of the places I go using Sprint 3G. You should not makes such sweeping statements over the entire network. Although I concede there are many places where Sprint's 3G network is insufficient. But the amount of locations this occurs is going down every day between Network Vision and temporary 3G upgrades.

Robert

• Like 1

More Info:

Regards,

Like I said above, it could be hit or miss. There are too many factors that could determine network speeds at any particular moment in time. There are times I can easily stream youtube in HD or slingbox sitting at the airport in atlanta or anywhere else in or around the area for that matter. Yes, its no secret that sprints 3g data network went from the best to the worst in about 2 years but they are obviously in the process of making the necessary changes. Also keep in mind that there are 9 sprint towers that literally surround the airport so how can you determine what speeds will be like at the airport based off of 1 tower?

• Like 2

I average over 1Mbps in most of the places I go using Sprint 3G. You should not makes such sweeping statements over the entire network. Although I concede there are many places where Sprint's 3G network is insufficient. But the amount of locations this occurs is going down every day between Network Vision and temporary 3G upgrades.

Robert

I cited a specific speed test. Also even at 1Mbps you won't be watching many 3G videos over any carriers' 3G network. 1Mbps is kinda cutting the limit for most home broadband services for watching video over the web but add in long latency pings, signal interference, packet loss, server side issues and peak browsing network congestion and you've got a video of disaster. If you compare the result from last years, same PCMag test, Sprint did get a little better but barely. Also just in Atlanta as across the US Sprint was the ONLY carrier to get slower in 2012 (see other PC World link below). Still I'm excited about Network Vision and what it can do for Sprint as I want things to get better. But as for the topic the user asked how the speed was in Atlanta so I got him the next best thing I could, which is speed tests for areas near the airport. What more can I do? Ohhh, I even did Steven one better by finding him this page from the airports website which says (link below) so Steve I dare say you should be able to rock a movie while waiting (hopefully):

Cellular Coverage

The Wireless System at HJAIA allows for ubiquitous cellular, PCS and Public Safety wireless coverage throughout the entire inside area of the Airport.

The state-of-the-art, fiber-based Distributed Antenna System (DAS) forms the core of this universal radio coverage, which is a vital line of communication for the vast number of people who work or pass through the Airport daily. The sprawling 700-plus antennas of DAS provide wireless coverage to more than 5.8 million square feet of Airport area covering two terminals, the Atrium, six concourses and the underground train tunnel.

The wireless system at Hartsfield-Jackson has the following prominent features:

1. Universal Cellular/PCS/Public Safety Radio Coverage:
    The primary benefit of the Neutral Host system is to improve wireless radio coverage for cellular/PCS throughout the Airport. The Distributed Antenna System (DAS) provides:

• Universal coverage, improved call clarity and higher data throughput.

• Fewer blocked, dropped and missed calls.

• Very reliable wireless service in hard-to-reach radio coverage areas of the airport.

• A vast distribution network throughout the in-building area for radio transmissions in cellular and PCS.

• Improved service quality that keeps wireless customers connected.

[*]

Neutral-Host Wireless System:
DAS provides coverage and capacity benefits to multiple wireless providers via a single fiber distribution backbone, eliminating the need to add a series of independent systems.

• Regional wireless providers have a unique opportunity to have a presence along with national wireless providers.

• DAS is designed to accommodate all major wireless standards and protocols.

• The end result is an equal opportunity for all wireless providers to offer the same consistent and reliable service to their customers at Hartsfield-Jackson Airport.

[*]

Booster for Current and Future Mobile Applications with Excellent Network Quality:
The dedicated in-building DAS enables wireless providers to offer 3rd Generation (3G) services and beyond to their customers at Hartsfield-Jackson Airport

• High-speed 3G voice and data services including but not limited to GSM, CDMA1x, EVDO, WCDMA, UMTS, iDEN) will not only serve as a booster for voice services but also as a launching platform for services including streaming video and other high bandwidth mobile applications.

• The end user will experience ‘complete and seamless mobility’.

• The strong and reliable network offered by the in-building DAS positions the airport as a premier launching pad for next generation technologies.

Atlanta Airport: http://www.atlanta-airport.com/forms/passenger/frmPassengerInformation_WIFI.aspx

PC World Mobile Speed Test Results: http://www.pcworld.com/article/253808/3g_and_4g_wireless_speed_showdown_which_networks_are_fastest.html#tk.mod_stln

PC Mag 2011 Mobile Speed Test Results: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386835,00.asp

Enjoy Steve,

5th

When viewing on a smartphone (and not tethering on a computer), I can watch Netflix/YouTube just fine at a consistent 500k-600k connection.

Robert

• Like 1

As I said before getting a constant 500k-600k connection over any mobile network, especially Sprint, is very hard to do. And unless you watch in super low res 240p on YouTube and if not it will be a buffer/play cycle. On Netflix with that speed the signal might hold as their streaming is amazing at keeping a connection with low speed connections but not many other streaming apps can do that. Either way with a 500k-600k connection you'll be waiting quite a long time and unless the connection is rock solid consistent you'll just end up quitting after a few minutes of frustration. We solved the OPs topic so we can move on.

5th

Yeah that's why I was asking plus I saw pico cells in the airport and the airport has that on the site. That's why I was assuming it would be a lot faster since inside the airport ud use the ones spefically in their and not the ones near it.

Any ways if I do decide to take delta and fly into ATL I will make sure to test it out. And let you all know how the pico cell works in their at my concourse and inside the "PLANE TRAIN"

As I said before getting a constant 500k-600k connection over any mobile network' date=' especially Sprint, is very hard to do. And unless you watch in super low res 240p on YouTube and if not it will be a buffer/play cycle. On Netflix with that speed the signal might hold as their streaming is amazing at keeping a connection with low speed connections but not many other streaming apps can do that. Either way with a 500k-600k connection you'll be waiting quite a long time and unless the connection is rock solid consistent you'll just end up quitting after a few minutes of frustration. We solved the OPs topic so we can move on.

5th[/quote']

I don't know what the specifics you experience, but I consistently stream Netflix and YouTube with 600k speeds. A little longer on the start buffering, but it works fine. This is using the standard resolution with Netflix. In YouTube, this is for non HQ quality. I can still run HQ quality with YouTube with 600k speeds, it just takes a really long time to download far enough out, that its not worth it. To run YouTube HQ on a smartphone, you need approx 1.2Mbps of better in my opinion.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I don't know what the specifics you experience, but I consistently stream Netflix and YouTube with 600k speeds. A little longer on the start buffering, but it works fine. This is using the standard resolution with Netflix. In YouTube, this is for non HQ quality. I can still run HQ quality with YouTube with 600k speeds, it just takes a really long time to download far enough out, that its not worth it. To run YouTube HQ on a smartphone, you need approx 1.2Mbps of better in my opinion.

This isnt regarding what u said above i just wanted to get ur attention and ask do you think it could be possible my iphone can connect to a sprint nv tower even though it hasnt showed up on ur completed towers yet at the atlanta airport. Because of testing or what not.

This isnt regarding what u said above i just wanted to get ur attention and ask do you think it could be possible my iphone can connect to a sprint nv tower even though it hasnt showed up on ur completed towers yet at the atlanta airport. Because of testing or what not.

Yes, its possible. Good method, you drew me back into the thread via notification. :)

• Like 1

I don't know the specific area but I definitely watch videos on 3g all the time. Sure you need to give it about 30 seconds to buffer but if you really can't be bothered for such a thing, connect to WiFi. I was watching a show with no problem just before hopping on here. Don't give me crap about using up data with no purpose. I'm laying out on my parents deck enjoying the times when the sun is on the other side of the planet and the only people out here with a phone are asleep. Ahhh sweet under capacity rural towers.

Also, whoever keeps quoting pc mag, we get it. We are on a site about Sprint deployment. We've read it.

Edited by Contreramanjaro
  • Like 2

Lucky rural towers seem to get the best speeds since barely no one is on them. And as far wifi lol I'm not payin for that at the airport that should be free. Now I'm going to buy the wifi for the airplane since I just like the fact that I'm 30,000 FT or higher connected to Internet. Lol

Lucky rural towers seem to get the best speeds since barely no one is on them. And as far wifi lol I'm not payin for that at the airport that should be free. Now I'm going to buy the wifi for the airplane since I just like the fact that I'm 30,000 FT or higher connected to Internet. Lol

It's nice but they're only t1 so I rarely see more than 1.2mbps. The one near my apartment must be network vision because I can get up to 2 mbps at low usage times.

Yeah I'm happy cause where I live right now the speeds are fine during the day and I'm talking about 1mbs to 2mbs down and .2-.7 up load. And the great part is that the one and only tower here in my area is getting a data speed upgrade! Although as of when I seen that on the the network . Sprint. Com I noticed that 3G became more unreliable so I hope that gets fixed soon but it might also be cause I'm running iOS 6 beta 2. I don't know though.

I was watching a show with no problem just before hopping on here. Don't give me crap about using up data with no purpose.

Sprint has unlimited data for smartphones. This is an acceptable usage in my eyes. I live in one of those rural cells. My speeds are almost always over 1Mbps. I once dropped to around 900kbps and was wondering who drove into my cell? Its mine...get out! :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...