Samsung Galaxy Note 2

pyroscott

Love it but a couple things are driving me nuts. I may be forced to look in the manual. <sigh>

I have wifi off in settings and turn it off with the pull down settings thing but it keeps turning it self back on.

I think its the connection manager but haven't found a solution yet.

My battery didn't last a full day at work is the other thing but I think Astro file manager may have done me in

It showed 42% of the battery use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.metago.astro

Some of the reviews had more home screens and neater transitions than what I have. The settings to update this stuff isn't a easy as it should be to find IMHO.

Guys at work loved it

Oh I love this device. Lots of driving thru very weak coverage areas. My GS2 always went LOS or no signal. This beast roams very effectively. No delay, then switches back to sprint quickly.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Forum Runner

My battery life seems identical to the GS3 so far. I was hoping for better battery life because the battery is 50% larger. But I'm just glad its not worse. :tu:

Although, it may be better. It's hard to tell. I haven't put the thing down for the past two days.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Love it but a couple things are driving me nuts. I may be forced to look in the manual. <sigh>

I have wifi off in settings and turn it off with the pull down settings thing but it keeps turning it self back on.

My battery didn't last a full day at work is the other thing but I think Astro file manager may have done me in

It showed 42% of the battery use https://play.google....om.metago.astro

Some of the reviews had more home screens and neater transitions than what I have. The settings to update this stuff isn't a easy as it should be to find IMHO.

Guys at work loved it

Its the Sprint Connection Optimizer. It will kick on as soon as it sees a saved network.

My battery life seems identical to the GS3 so far. I was hoping for better battery life because the battery is 50% larger. But I'm just glad its not worse. :tu:

Although, it may be better. It's hard to tell. I haven't put the thing down for the past two days.

I'm seeing a lot better, but... I don't run any apps that update more than twice a day and I've deleted 80% of the stock apps including Email and Exchange Server. I have 20 apps in my drawer (6 of them are hidden). I popped out the Battery and fully charged it on a external charger and I'm sitting at about 27% as of right now. Medium usage. I'm at 1day 4 hours. I did plug in a couple times while in my truck for about 15-20 mins. Mostly Wifi and Lte now that if grabs outside my house.

• Like 1

It showed 42% of the battery use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.metago.astro

Some onetworksf the reviews had more home screens and neater transitions than what I have. The settings to update this stuff isn't a easy as it should be to find IMHO.

Guys at work loved it

Turn off connections optimizer in Mobile networks settings

• Like 1

Note 2 users, you are being watched (gawked at). Posted in another forum:

The other day i saw someone in the airport who appeared to be using an Etch-A-Sketch as a pillow until I realized they were talking into a Note II.

:P

AJ

• Like 2

Turn off connections optimizer in Mobile networks settings

Thanks! I couldn't find the setting. Its not obvious to me which settings have sub items/settings.

Note 2 users' date=' you are being watched (gawked at). Posted in another forum:

:P

AJ[/quote']

Amazingly, it is pretty easy to use as a phone. It's still smaller than residential cordless phones in the 90's. It is not awkward to use as a phone at all. Feels just as comfortable. And my wife says I only look like a partial dimwit when holding it to my head.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 4

Amazingly' date=' it is pretty easy to use as a phone. It's still smaller than residential cordless phones in the 90's. It is not awkward to use as a phone at all. Feels just as comfortable. And my wife says I only look like a partial dimwit when holding it to my head.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner[/quote']

Agree, easy to use. Only oddity is the folio cover, not something I'm used to.

Amazingly, it is pretty easy to use as a phone. It's still smaller than residential cordless phones in the 90's. It is not awkward to use as a phone at all. Feels just as comfortable. And my wife says I only look like a partial dimwit when holding it to my head.

Does that speak to the size of the phone or the size of the head?

;)

AJ

• Like 1

Other than using one handed can be a little funky, I love every other aspect of the Note. I also like it still has the PRL Write function, just like the GS3. For PRL changing on the go.

Do you guys know if the galaxy note 2 can do 800mhz?

Yes. CDMA 800. No LTE 800 devices on the market yet. Sprint internally has said Q2-2013 for that.

I really like the display quality and color saturation on the Note 2 compared to the GS3. I fired up my GS3 to install the Jelly Bean update. And had them side by side. The Note 2 display is just gorgeous and when you compare it right next to the GS3, the difference is very noticeable. Esp

• Like 3

I really like the display quality and color saturation on the Note 2 compared to the GS3. I fired up my GS3 to install the Jelly Bean update. And had them side by side. The Note 2 display is just gorgeous and when you compare it right next to the GS3, the difference is very noticeable.

I am so glad Samsung went away from that pentile screen on the note 2, I was very impressed by the screen when I was playing with one the other day.

• Like 1

I am so glad Samsung went away from that pentile screen on the note 2...

True. The Note 2 AMOLED subpixel structure finally ditches the PenTile arrangement in the Galaxy S3, etc. But AMOLED still has problems. It is woefully inaccurate, cartoonish eye candy with burn in issues. Have you ever noticed that no laptops come with AMOLED screens? I am not sure that AMOLED is any more appropriate for mobile phone screens at this time.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6386/samsung-galaxy-note-2-review-t-mobile-/8

AJ

• Like 1

True. The Note 2 AMOLED subpixel structure finally ditches the PenTile arrangement in the Galaxy S3, etc. But AMOLED still has problems. It is woefully inaccurate, cartoonish eye candy with burn in issues. Have you ever noticed that no laptops come with AMOLED screens? I am not sure that AMOLED is any more appropriate for mobile phone screens at this time.

http://www.anandtech...iew-t-mobile-/8

AJ

Excellent article you linked to. The screen on my evo lte is the number one reason why I still have that phone and why I haven't gotten a gs3 yet. For the life of me I can't stand pentile at all but the funny thing is that it never bothered me at all until I got the evo and put them side by side. As far as burn in with amoled's, I always thought that was a myth but I never actually had a phone with an amoled screen until I got the gnex. Over the last 2 months I have noticed that the image of the dots(where you draw your pattern) from my lock screen have been showing very faintly under certain conditions when I am actively using the phone. Its not that bad but its definitely there.

EDIT: I just noticed that my swiftkey keyboard is burnt in pretty badly as well.

• Like 1

The Galaxy SII Demo at our store has really, really bad burn-in. It's supposed to run a demo loop, but the demo has issues freezing up on the final frame, and not looping for sometimes hours at a time. As a result, there's a very visible Sprint logo burnt in to the center of the screen.

The Galaxy SII Demo at our store has really, really bad burn-in. It's supposed to run a demo loop, but the demo has issues freezing up on the final frame, and not looping for sometimes hours at a time. As a result, there's a very visible Sprint logo burnt in to the center of the screen.

eeeew.

Im surprised that web pages seem to load a lot faster on the Note 2 (3G connection) than they did on my EVO 4G (wimax connection). I would have thought the connection speed difference couldn't have been more a speed boost than the quad core.

Im impressed. Battery lasted 18 hours till it beeped for a charge just now with heavy use so that's much better with connection optimizer turned off and that one battery hog app killed. Im considering just staying stock. That root only add blocker worth it?

• Like 3

Im surprised that web pages seem to load a lot faster on the Note 2 (3G connection) than they did on my EVO 4G (wimax connection). I would have thought the connection speed difference couldn't have been more a speed boost than the quad core.

Try "Naked Browser" in the Play Store. It's ludicrously fast. Webpages load faster than you think they should. It flies on the EVO LTE; I can only imagine for the Note 2.
  • Like 1