Network Vision/LTE - West Washington Market (Seattle/Puget Sound Region)

drlovety

Picked up a new LTE blip in south Juanita this morning on my way to work at the intersection of 98th & 116th Street. It stayed for just a few moments before reverting to 3G. Wondering if it's the site across from Spuds, next to Juanita Beach.

It's been on and off again in Kent just north of 212th along east valley.  It will be there for a few then gone.  Mostly "there" in the early morning, then back sometimes in the afternoon.  Pretty slow when it is there around 2megs down.

Picked up a new LTE blip in south Juanita this morning on my way to work at the intersection of 98th & 116th Street. It stayed for just a few moments before reverting to 3G. Wondering if it's the site across from Spuds, next to Juanita Beach.

Hit the same spot again on the way home from work.  Again it was a momentary blip and once I turned at that intersection it was gone.  

2013-06-05 08.14.26.png

It looks like Portland is starting to see a little bit of 800 now... For those of us in Western Washington, does anyone know how far south the exclusion zone for 800 SMR reaches into the West Washington market? Vancouver Island in Canada reaching so far south will take a decent sized chunk out of the available area for 800 -- has anyone calculated this out? from what it looks like anything north of Fort Lewis won't be able to have LTE... I'm in the Olympia area so hoping we'll see some 800...

Also I remember seeing a chart and map with the entire exclusion zones across all the borders -- I can't seem to find it anymore... 

Thanks!
Nat

It looks like Portland is starting to see a little bit of 800 now... For those of us in Western Washington, does anyone know how far south the exclusion zone for 800 SMR reaches into the West Washington market? Vancouver Island in Canada reaching so far south will take a decent sized chunk out of the available area for 800 -- has anyone calculated this out? from what it looks like anything north of Fort Lewis won't be able to have LTE... I'm in the Olympia area so hoping we'll see some 800...

Also I remember seeing a chart and map with the entire exclusion zones across all the borders -- I can't seem to find it anymore...

Thanks!

Nat

Would love to get more insight on this. It would suck if those north of you got left out. I'm in Marysville and now I'm kinda bummed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks!

Nat

this?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3227-network-visionlte-west-michigan-market-grand-rapidslansingkalamazoo/?p=104996

Yep -- that's a different map (the one I saw also showed Mexico) but it's the same point... as you can tell, Washington has the widest area... 140km... based on that, it looks like the southern line is south of Shelton, Tacoma etc. The drawing of Puget Sound is not to scale on that map--it shows the southern point of it a little north of Tacoma it looks like.

It looks like all of the Seattle metro area north of the base won't be getting 800 for now :(

I wonder if Sprint will be really good about going right up to "the line" with their 800, or if they will decide to just not do 1900 for entire markets... I'm in Olympia so should be in the OK zone for 800, but I'm hoping that they will go absolutely as north as possible... from the map, I'm not sure if that includes Tacoma proper or not.

N

Yep -- that's a different map (the one I saw also showed Mexico) but it's the same point... as you can tell, Washington has the widest area... 140km... based on that, it looks like the southern line is south of Shelton, Tacoma etc. The drawing of Puget Sound is not to scale on that map--it shows the southern point of it a little north of Tacoma it looks like.

It looks like all of the Seattle metro area north of the base won't be getting 800 for now :(

I wonder if Sprint will be really good about going right up to "the line" with their 800, or if they will decide to just not do 1900 for entire markets... I'm in Olympia so should be in the OK zone for 800, but I'm hoping that they will go absolutely as north as possible... from the map, I'm not sure if that includes Tacoma proper or not.

N

I've seen maps of the LA/OC Market where they show 800 being planned right up to the line. I assume it will be the same in other markets.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

So the Seattle area is getting no 800 Mhz signal?

What about the areas that get iDEN on 800 Mhz right now?

Narrowband 800 SMR transmissions like iDEN are covered under existing agreements with the Canucks. Unfortunately, wideband has not been worked out yet. Both CDMA carriers and LTE carriers are wideband.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ugh! With all the trees around here, I was hoping for an increase in voice signal coverage.

Are they working on this issue with the Canadian Government?

Do we have a detailed map of which towers that the cdma 800 Mhz will be deployed on? I'm about an hour SE of Seattle.

Does that include CDMA 1x voice or just EVDO and LTE?

Is this Sprint specific?  Isn't VZW LTE 700 Mhz?  

Sad news...Seattle area has trees and hills, we need good penetration    coverage.

Ugh! With all the trees around here, I was hoping for an increase in voice signal coverage.

Are they working on this issue with the Canadian Government?

Do we have a detailed map of which towers that the cdma 800 Mhz will be deployed on? I'm about an hour SE of Seattle.

• Ugh! With all the trees around here, I was hoping for an increase in voice signal coverage.  We all want 800MHz
  • Are they working on this issue with the Canadian Government?  Yes, but these things typically take years
  • Do we have a detailed map of which towers that the cdma 800 Mhz will be deployed on? I'm about an hour SE of Seattle.  No.  But I may be able to do it one day
  • Like 1

Does that include CDMA 1x voice or just EVDO and LTE?

Is this Sprint specific?  Isn't VZW LTE 700 Mhz?  

Sad news...Seattle area has trees and hills, we need good penetration    coverage.

Sprint is only deploying 1x and LTE on 800MHz, no 3G EVDO.  It's not Sprint specific, it's band specific.  Canada and the U.S. only have agreements regarding narrowband usage in the SMR 800 band.  We are awaiting wideband agreements (which 1x, EVDO and LTE are all wideband).  Verizon and the 700 band have already been worked out with the Canadians.

Robert

• Like 2

I don't understand that map posted earlier on the US-Canada border.  Does that mean anything inside that zone won't get 800mhz until there is an agreement between the two governments?  Only reason I ask is because there are other border areas that are getting 800mhz that are outside Washington State that are in the same boat as western Washington in regards of how close we are to the US-Canadian border.

I'm about an hour SE of Seattle.

Then you might be OK... it sounds like Sprint is deploying up to the line -- which if that's the case, areas south of the base should get 800.

Also because the line follows Vancouver Island, being an hour SE may still be in the 800 area...

Vancouver Island is the main reason our zone is a bit larger than the other states--if it was just the straight border, the zone would be 60-80 miles south of the border, and that would be it--but with Vancouver Island in the mix, you need to factor in 80 miles all around it -- which includes all of Seattle proper and most all suburbs, as well as 60-80 miles south of Port Angeles.

I wish there was a higher resolution map available... it does appear that there are a few cities back east within the line that have been granted permission to deploy 800 -- I wonder how they were allowed to be considered outside of the exclusion zone?

Nat

• Like 1

LTE appeared on the south side of UWMC in the past hour or two. As was the the norm, nothing present this morning, nor was it the last time I was outside, but after stepping outside a few minutes ago, there it was! Mapped out a short walking path around the parking lot, so it should appear on Sensorly soon.

Signal was stronger on the east end of the mapping, so perhaps the now active tower is in the east or SE direction?

Then you might be OK... it sounds like Sprint is deploying up to the line -- which if that's the case, areas south of the base should get 800.

Also because the line follows Vancouver Island, being an hour SE may still be in the 800 area...

Vancouver Island is the main reason our zone is a bit larger than the other states

The nearest 'town' to me is Bayne, WA.

It looks like Seattle is about 70 miles from the international border around Vancouver Island, Renton about 80 miles.

So it'd be interesting to see if they install the 800 Mhz system out in SE King county.

Today I saw contractors ripping out the underground cables from a Nextel tower that they just turned off. They removed the concrete building the other week. They really aren't leaving anything behind.

I don't know if Seattle will be getting 800 MHz LTE for now since its near the Canadian border. Hopefully the US can work out agreements with Canada and mexico on this to use 800 MHz for LTE and CDMA

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk 2