Network Vision/LTE - West Washington Market (Seattle/Puget Sound Region)

drlovety

How can you be so sure?

There's been absolutely NO news on the IBEZ being lifted in WA State.

Because Canadian SMR Rebanding is supposed to wrap up in 2015. And the 600MHz auction keeps getting pushed out. Now it will be after 2015.

• Like 1

20Mbps testing mode.

Testing mode huh, I wonder when they are scheduled to bring Spark online here.  Seattle seems like a goofier market to me than Chicago did.  I see way too many 3G only upgrade sites spread out all across the area for a Samsung market this far along.  I wonder what local factor contributed to that.  In Chicago there were isolated backhaul and permitting issues that had a distinct pattern, usually sites on top of tall buildings and skyscrapers, and other tough locations across the region. It took time, but we were starting with leftover 3G only sites in the dozens, looks like here there are 100 or more.  Curious as to why.

I also don't fully understand the whole IBEZ thing and how it effect Sprint's ability to rollout 800Mhz service, both in the B26 and CDMA 800 areas.  I know thats the reason there is no 800mhz service here, I just don't get how it all works with IBEZ and what that means for actually getting that spectrum turned on here at some point.

I see way too many 3G only upgrade sites spread out all across the area for a Samsung market this far along. I wonder what local factor contributed to that. In Chicago there were isolated backhaul and permitting issues that had a distinct pattern, usually sites on top of tall buildings and skyscrapers, and other tough locations across the region. It took time, but we were starting with leftover 3G only sites in the dozens, looks like here there are 100 or more. Curious as to why.

There is 2.5Ghx being blanketing Seattle. Do you have a 1900Mhz only device? If so, your missing out on LTE. Westwood Village is a good example. Edited by EmeraldReporter

There is 2.5Ghx being blanketing Seattle. Do you have a 1900Mhz only device? If so, your missing out on LTE. Westwood Village is a good example.

Yeah, finally Seattle and surrounding areas are being covered with 2.5GHz but that is for speed and coverage. 800MHz would be better for voice coverage and building penetration.

I am guessing the whole IBEZ issue may be resolved by next year and we may start hearing about 800Mhz (at least I hope)

• Like 1

Yeah, finally Seattle and surrounding areas are being covered with 2.5GHz but that is for speed and coverage. 800MHz would be better for voice coverage and building penetration.

I am guessing the whole IBEZ issue may be resolved by next year and we may start hearing about 800Mhz (at least I hope)

So what is the "IBEZ" thing.  The FCC won't let Sprint deploy 800Mhz near int'l borders or something?  Does VZW and ATT have the same problem with their low freq spectrum near borders?

There is 2.5Ghx being blanketing Seattle. Do you have a 1900Mhz only device? If so, your missing out on LTE. Westwood Village is a good example.

Yeah I know I am working on replacing my device.  Seattle is different from Chicago on B25 though.  It was way overcrowded in Chicago for about a year before a 2nd carrier purchased from US Cellular showed up.  In Seattle when I am on B25 most of the time it is quite useable even during peak hours.  In Chicago at its worst B25 would produce sub 200K speeds consistently, its better now.  I haven't really seen anything below 1Mbps on B25 here, and get 5-7Mpbs normally.

So what is the "IBEZ" thing.  The FCC won't let Sprint deploy 800Mhz near int'l borders or something?  Does VZW and ATT have the same problem with their low freq spectrum near borders?

It's not a low frequency thing.  It's a SMR rebanding thing.  The United States, Canada and Mexico are rebanding their SMR spectrum to align.  And they also have different uses of narrowband transmissions and wideband transmissions in SMR.

Once both sides of the border are rebanded and using wideband transmissions, then Sprint will be free to deploy their B26 LTE in border areas.  They will not likely open up the whole border at once, but more likely, one state here and one state there once the spectrum is free and clear of interference on both sides of the border.

• Like 1

It's not a low frequency thing.  It's a SMR rebanding thing.  The United States, Canada and Mexico are rebanding their SMR spectrum to align.  And they also have different uses of narrowband transmissions and wideband transmissions in SMR.

Once both sides of the border are rebanded and using wideband transmissions, then Sprint will be free to deploy their B26 LTE in border areas.  They will not likely open up the whole border at once, but more likely, one state here and one state there once the spectrum is free and clear of interference on both sides of the border.

Thanks for the insight, but do you know what actually constitutes these border areas that are effected by IBEZ and SMR rebranding.  Seattle is about 100 miles from the Canadian border, a place like San Diego is 12 miles from Mexico, I wonder how they both fall equally into the IBEZ.  There must be some logic to what areas are inclusive and what areas are not.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on member requests, we will extend this offer through 12 Noon on Saturday, October 18th.

What absolutely poor timing! I just spent $100 dollars on a Videogame yesterday! Grr!

I'm gonna' have to give up Netflix, Audible, and my PS+ membership for the next month to get access to this info!

Worst timing ever!

Thank you very much for the "special deal." I'm very much going to consider this.

What absolutely poor timing! I just spent $100 dollars on a Videogame yesterday! Grr!

I'm gonna' have to give up Netflix, Audible, and my PS+ membership for the next month to get access to this info!

Worst timing ever!

Thank you very much for the "special deal." I'm very much going to consider this.

Just return your videogame for full price then  ;)

I occasionally pick up a B41 signal from the site closest to my house in Juanita, Kirkland.  The phone shows B41, but signal bars are basically non-existant.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed West Washington got a few CDMA 800 acceptance in the last report. Does that mean they are finally launching it in Seattle area?

No.  But they are likely doing some initial testing.  This has also happened in a few other markets.

• Like 1

Was up visiting Seattle around the Interbay area and had nothing but B41 while I was up there. It was pretty solid, gotta say.. 30-40mbps; 10-15 inside at half signal. Was pretty happy with what I had picked up.. 

• Like 1

That is great to hear. I have noticed a lot of the towers on the map and when I've been in Seattle I have searched for a lot of their towers. I am waiting until they come out with more CA devices first before I upgrade. I will be able to get all of around the Seattle area. I really want a triband now but I believe those new phones will make even a bigger difference,

That is great to hear. I have noticed a lot of the towers on the map and when I've been in Seattle I have searched for a lot of their towers. I am waiting until they come out with more CA devices first before I upgrade. I will be able to get all of around the Seattle area. I really want a triband now but I believe those new phones will make even a bigger difference,

I was on my nexus 5 at the time. I got a nexus 6 coming. It worked as it should picking things up. But ya between interbay to the space needle area were I was staying I had B41.. I was driving at the time but I also picked up two more sites driving around safeco field to western ave.. Seattle is defiantly hopping with TD-LTE now...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I snapped a photo driving home last night (yes, it was sunny in Seattle) and figured this maybe a 4G buildout tower. This has been the second tower I've seen with a crane working over a tower. I believe Seattle is in the second phase of Sprint's deployment.

I've attached a photo, how can I confirm? Go up and ask what they're working on? Look at their cell boxes?

Photo Link: http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj518/drlovety/SprintTower.jpg

Is this by the lynnwood mall? 

Yes, it is the one on 196th St. 

I love this tower. I believe Blue and Red are on there too. Which floor/layer is Sprint? I thought Sprint was on the one behind Target.