Network Vision/LTE - West Washington Market (Seattle/Puget Sound Region)

drlovety

Here are a few tests down in Federal Way, around 2pm local time. 

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/758004699

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/758004095

They must be selling more LTE phones, as its actually getting noticeably slower, not just the speed tests. The latency is still pretty good though.

And when people must have gone home for the evening around 5pm.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/758126338

I got the 'hang in there, we're almost done' text message last month too, like everyone else did. As well as the '$80 per line credit if you renew now' as the contracts are up in a month.

The main thing keeping me is the Google integration, haven't decided yet.

They must be selling more LTE phones, as its actually getting noticeably slower, not just the speed tests. The latency is still pretty good though.

I got the 'hang in there, we're almost done' text message last month too, like everyone else did. As well as the '$80 per line credit if you renew now' as the contracts are up in a month.

Wait, those are LTE speeds?  Yikes!  Sounds like you are about to jump ship!  I'm also looking too.  I did do some test driving with other carriers.  I know King Co. is way behind in their Sprint LTE build out, so "hang in there!"  However, I'm in Lynnwood and I'm still experiencing dropped calls (there aren't any legacy towers around me) and degraded service.  I will say the biggest reason I'm looking at moving is the lack of 800 Mhz freq.  So, I don't see their network getting better, coverage-wise, which is important for me as 5 out of the last 7 places I've lived, I've had to rely on a Airave in my home.

Wait, those are LTE speeds?  Yikes!  Sounds like you are about to jump ship!  I'm also looking too.  I did do some test driving with other carriers.  I know King Co. is way behind in their Sprint LTE build out, so "hang in there!"  However, I'm in Lynnwood and I'm still experiencing dropped calls (there aren't any legacy towers around me) and degraded service.  I will say the biggest reason I'm looking at moving is the lack of 800 Mhz freq.  So, I don't see their network getting better, coverage-wise, which is important for me as 5 out of the last 7 places I've lived, I've had to rely on a Airave in my home.

Yep, those speed tests were all on LTE, a few months ago they were 20+ Mbps in the same locations. 

I'm ok with those speeds though, I don't need unlimited data, I don't miss what I've never had.

Because they won't activate 800 Mhz for at least a few years, they need to install more 1900 Mhz towers to greatly increase voice/data here in the PNW. I do not know if they're going to do anything like that, they're adding 2500 Mhz LTE but I think that is for data only, so that won't do anything for voice.

With the 3/4G towers that been finished or upgraded, the signal is slightly better and reaches slightly further into buildings.

What over providers have you tried?

I was surprised where I work where T-Mobile's signal was usually next to nothing, I just roamed on them this week (with another phone) and it was almost a full signal, really surprised me there. T-Mobile must be busy in the area.

I have an Airave at home also, but I don't have any regular cell coverage there anyway from any current company, I used to have Nextel, but they took down the tower, so that has gone.

Edited by JoeJoeJoe

The tower that serves my workplace in Tukwila just recently got 3G upgraded. I did not know until I went to work. I was wondering how all of a sudden I had full service inside the building. I usually had 2 to 3 bars. Just an interesting observation. Data speeds also dramatically increased as did the call quality. I can't wait until NV is complete in the PNW. It will be great to have this quality of service in most places.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I hate to say it but that is a little sad to already see those speeds after the towers were upgraded. I know we all want to see improvements but if this is already happening what will it be like if Sprint gets more subscribers?

I hate to say it but that is a little sad to already see those speeds after the towers were upgraded. I know we all want to see improvements but if this is already happening what will it be like if Sprint gets more subscribers?

I think the problem will be more alleviated once more 4G LTE towers are online. My theory as to why those speeds are so low is it could be due to the fact that most phones will connect to that tower as they probably have LTE on a higher priority. This could mean way more phones would connect to that tower despite low LTE signal strength being so far away.

I'm no network engineer so I could be wrong. Just my thoughts as to what it could be.

I think the problem will be more alleviated once more 4G LTE towers are online. My theory as to why those speeds are so low is it could be due to the fact that most phones will connect to that tower as they probably have LTE on a higher priority. This could mean way more phones would connect to that tower despite low LTE signal strength being so far away.

I'm no network engineer so I could be wrong. Just my thoughts as to what it could be.

Good point, as it seems every other tower has LTE here in the cities.

But I have found that I get 3G or LTE, in areas where the towers are quite far apart. In Seattle/Tacoma they are setup more densely, I hardly go to those places though, haven't experienced it there much.

I asked on here before about different towers using the same or different frequencies, I was told they mostly use exactly the same frequency. So in that case, it wouldn't help being on different towers.

You could be right on that, and I hope you are. Since we won't see the other bands up here for awhile we will need to rely on b25. One thing I thought though was if the 3G signal was stronger than LTE it would revert back to 3G? Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Good point, as it seems every other tower has LTE here in the cities.

But I have found that I get 3G or LTE, in areas where the towers are quite far apart. In Seattle/Tacoma they are setup more densely, I hardly go to those places though, haven't experienced it there much.

I asked on here before about different towers using the same or different frequencies, I was told they mostly use exactly the same frequency. So in that case, it wouldn't help being on different towers.

Even if the towers used the same frequency, I believe it would help if there were more towers because one specific tower won't be over strained with more traffic. It could offload it to other surrounding towers.

Speeds do improve when more sites come online. Too many subscribers connecting to too few sites causes speeds to slow. Also, since Seattle is a WiMax market, they are also deploying Band 41. So if you have a Triband device, you can use Band 41 too in areas it's been deployed once the 3G has also been upgraded in that area. There are Band 41 schedule maps in the Premier section.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Speeds do improve when more sites come online. Too many subscribers connecting to too few sites causes speeds to slow. Also, since Seattle is a WiMax market, they are also deploying Band 41. So if you have a Triband device, you can use Band 41 too in areas it's been deployed once the 3G has also been upgraded in that area. There are Band 41 schedule maps in the Premier section.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Well then I guess I'll need to work on getting my premier status and have to get a Triband phone. I didn't think they were releasing band 41 up here yet because of interference with Canada, or is that something completely different?

Well then I guess I'll need to work on getting my premier status and have to get a Triband phone. I didn't think they were releasing band 41 up here yet because of interference with Canada, or is that something completely different?

What I understand is that the 800MHz spectrum is what is affected by the IBEZ. B41, luckily, isn't. At least as far as Canada is concerned.

What I understand is that the 800MHz spectrum is what is affected by the IBEZ. B41, luckily, isn't. At least as far as Canada is concerned.

Okay, I knew there was something that was affected by IBEZ, I just couldn't remember which one. Thanks for the clarification.

Band 41 or 2500 mhz, is a high frequency and doesn't have the reach that 800 mhz has.  If you recall the the WiMax coverage, it was very spotty and I don't think I ever had a WiMax signal inside a building.  The higher the frequency the less propagation, so I couldn't imagine the signal bleeding too far into Canada, if any.  I believe I read somewhere that VZW had to get approval from Canada to use 700 mhz, I wonder how long that took.  I think Sprint has a big chunk of Band 41, which will be a great use for more dense locations, such as outside Clink during a Hawks game!

Band 41 or 2500 mhz, is a high frequency and doesn't have the reach that 800 mhz has.  If you recall the the WiMax coverage, it was very spotty and I don't think I ever had a WiMax signal inside a building.  The higher the frequency the less propagation, so I couldn't imagine the signal bleeding too far into Canada, if any.  I believe I read somewhere that VZW had to get approval from Canada to use 700 mhz, I wonder how long that took.  I think Sprint has a big chunk of Band 41, which will be a great use for more dense locations, such as outside Clink during a Hawks game!

That makes perfect sense, I knew that the higher the frequency the less propagation it had so it wouldn't travel as far. I should have put 2+2 together. 

Until I work up to a premier sponsor I'm gonna hit up some sprint stores and go to a triband phone and see if I can find band 41 anywhere.

That makes perfect sense, I knew that the higher the frequency the less propagation it had so it wouldn't travel as far. I should have put 2+2 together. 

Until I work up to a premier sponsor I'm gonna hit up some sprint stores and go to a triband phone and see if I can find band 41 anywhere.

You can also use this link http://www.clear.com/coverage which when you zoom in will show you Clear tower locations.  Of course, the link won't show you which towers have been converted to Band 41, you will need the premier access for that.

Edited by drlovety
  • Like 1

I know it's hard for anyone to really be sure, but just wondering if anyone has an idea how long it might take Sprint to get clearance with Canada for 800mhz in northern Washington?

A few on here have said maybe 2016, so it could be after that?

Once approved by the feds, Sprint will then need to install the gear at each cell site.  The completed NV sites near me do not have 800 gear installed, therefore it will take additional time.

Once approved by the feds, Sprint will then need to install the gear at each cell site.  The completed NV sites near me do not have 800 gear installed, therefore it will take additional time.

So with estimates I may guess it would be at least late 2015 if not 2016 until we see some 800, unless Masa Son can make something happen lol. Though I know it is up to the feds to figure that out

So with estimates I may guess it would be at least late 2015 if not 2016 until we see some 800, unless Masa Son can make something happen lol. Though I know it is up to the feds to figure that out

I wouldn't plan it for several years, Sprint hopefully has other plans to improve the service here.

I wouldn't plan it for several years, Sprint hopefully has other plans to improve the service here.

Oh I know, but I can dream.  :fingers:

It would suck though if Sprint didn't have any plans to improve the service here before 800 comes.