What do we know about HD Voice deployments?

Hi all, especially Robert:

There has been a lot of talk here about NV 3G and LTE, but do we know anything about HD Voice deployments? Is Sprint rolling out their 1x-Advanced hardware along side these other NV upgrades, or has work on this not started yet?

• Like 1

Hi all, especially Robert:

There has been a lot of talk here about NV 3G and LTE, but do we know anything about HD Voice deployments? Is Sprint rolling out their 1x-Advanced hardware along side these other NV upgrades, or has work on this not started yet?

Yes all NV towers will be upgraded with 1x Advanced hardware. Remember that for HD voice both sides needs to be using a handset that supports HD voice to truly experience the difference. So far only the HTC EVO 4G LTE phone supports HD voice.

Hd voice?

It is clearer than just voice or does it do some thing else too?

Also why is not under LTE?

I would just like to know. Thanks

Hd voice?

It is clearer than just voice or does it do some thing else too?

Also why is not under LTE?

I would just like to know. Thanks

http://www.pcmag.com...,2402598,00.asp defines HD voice as "higher-quality encoder for phone calls." It is only available on the EVO LTE so far.

The additional bandwidth provided by Sprint's rollout of CDMA 1x Advanced opens up more room for voice call data which allows for HD Voice to be implemented. The article states that Verizon was expected to be the first US carrier with HD voice when they rollout their voice over LTE or VoLTE which would also allow for more bandwidth for voice calls.

The higher quality encoder could be compared to going from the low quality streaming from pandora to a CD quality streaming that pandora offers with its premium service. HTC used this to cancel out background noise and provide a crisp clear voice transmission.

What do you mean by "Also why is not under LTE?"

• Like 1

Interesting tidbit... PC Mag, in the article I posted the link to above gives a shout out to S4GRU, saying

An independent website, Sprint 4G Network Rollout Updates, gives details on 14 "first round markets" and 27 "second round markets" for Network Vision. Sprint has not confirmed most of the material on that site.

Interesting tidbit... PC Mag, in the article I posted the link to above gives a shout out to S4GRU, saying

Sascha Segan has been a good supporter and advocate of S4GRU. :tu:

I bet there is a good chance that the subject of S4GRU came up in his field testing with Sprint last week. I would have loved to been a fly on the wall during those exchanges.

Robert

• Like 4

Could be in part because 1x Advanced is more efficient than VoLTE.

That would make since then. Thank you

Could be in part because 1x Advanced is more efficient than VoLTE.

Also the reason for deploying 1x Advanced for the time being is that VoLTE is still not ready for widespread deployment. Verizon has announced plans to do VoLTE trials later on this year and plans to start deploying areas with VoLTE in 2013. Either way there are probably going to be bugs and kinks that need to be worked out just like how Verizon was the main test subject for LTE deployment with all those outages. Iyad Tarazi from Sprint did mention that they would begin trial testing of VoLTE in 2013/2014 but no timeline of when VoLTE would be in full deployment.

The only reason for VoLTE deployment over 1x Advanced for voice in the future is to simplify the base station system to not have as much equipment to deployed to carry voice and data separately when LTE can easily account for both. For now Sprint needs to rely on 1x Advanced since it can dramatically reduce the number of 1x voice carriers it has today and save that spectrum to be used for LTE deployment since Sprint has so little spectrum.

• Like 1

Sascha Segan has been a good supporter and advocate of S4GRU. :tu:

I bet there is a good chance that the subject of S4GRU came up in his field testing with Sprint last week. I would have loved to been a fly on the wall during those exchanges.

Robert

Imagine what it would be like to be brought up during a network deployment meeting...

• Like 2

The additional bandwidth provided by Sprint's rollout of CDMA 1x Advanced opens up more room for voice call data which allows for HD Voice to be implemented.

Unfortunately, Sascha gets a key fact wrong above, as have many other articles on HD Voice. They assume that HD Voice requires greater bandwidth, hence CDMA1X Advanced. But HD Voice, as implemented via EVRC-NW, does NOT require additional bandwidth. In my research, all references indicate that EVRC-NW operates at max 9.6 kbps -- the same max bit rate as standard EVRC, which Sprint has been using by default for better than a decade. EVRC-NW is simply a newer codec with stronger compression that allows it to encode a wider frequency range in the same effective bit rate.

AJ

• Like 5